what type of coolant

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mxysxy
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by mxysxy »

I have a related question here;
Had a look at my radiator reserve tank yesterday, and it is empty.
So, bought a 5 lt bottle of Nulon Long Life Concentrated Coolant (green)
However, I dont know how good to add this into the system, as I dont know what sort/brand of coolant is in at the moment, which may result in clashing two chemicals.

So, can I simply add some water instead untill I totaly flush my system and replace with Nulon?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re:

Post by Rob Furniss »

payaya wrote:when filling up make sure you fill from thermostat.

Also air locks are a common problem, so an easy way to eliminate this is to run the car for 10-15 mintues with the radiator cap off. You may require a top up.

make sure the heater is on as well.
Yes yes I know this thread is a little old, but...
What if the heater core is disconnected / bypassed (cause it's knackered and I haven't got around to fitting the replacement) therefore having the heater on won't do anything, will this cause issues/not do the job properly?
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Re: what type of coolant

Post by PHIL069 »

Your heater is not connected, so coolant can't enter your heater core, so you don't need to bleed the air out of your heater, so you don't need to turn your heater on. :D
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re: what type of coolant

Post by Rob Furniss »

PHIL069 wrote:Your heater is not connected, so coolant can't enter your heater core, so you don't need to bleed the air out of your heater, so you don't need to turn your heater on. :D
Cheers once again Phil, didn't know about turning the heater on to bleed in normal situations (when there's a core working that is).