So why is it?

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dstocks
National Vice President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: So why is it?

Post by dstocks »

This thread has not gone where I expected :(.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    -Nighthawk-
    Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

dstocks wrote:This thread has not gone where I expected :(.
    ^ the new slogan for FTO Australia :P
    Technikhaus
    Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Daniel2019 wrote:Meh! They're just everywhere. I like things that are more uncommon and unique.
    Opposite of FTOs here, You drive through town, and they're on every second block...
    Either stock pre-facelift, or veilside. I've only ever seen 1 facelift, and 1 Kansai.
    Man '96 FTO GPX
    Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
    Man '90 MR2 GT
    Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
    fraz91
    Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Having driven and dealt with numerous vehicles, I can happily say the FTO is one of the easier ones I've had to work on. Seriously, try pulling the manifold off a Hilux, or changing a starter motor on a TDV8 Landcruiser. The whole top half of the engine has to come off for both. :roll:

The people who criticise the FTO as being a "girls car" or "crappy FWD" are people who either have minimal experience with cars, or simply don't care about anything other than the scene behind their cars. They are people who, as daniel said, have a predisposition to a certain brand or "look", which is something the FTO doesn't fit into in their minds. The number of comments I hear on the 4wd tracks about how I bought a "shitsubishi" from toyo and nissan fanboys is ridiculous. What's even funnier, is the fact that I'm almost always the one pulling them back up rock steps before driving them myself.

I received the same style of criticism when I bought the Jeep. Why? because it's not to their taste, or they know a friend of a friend who's dog's aunty's cousin had one that had a simple issue they couldn't work out and therefore it's a crap car.

Then there are rumours. Rumours spread like wild fire, and it doesn't matter who or what starts it, but if someone hears something that remotely degrades a product they don't like, they're all over it like a dog in heat. The drama then is that you, the owner of said product, seem like a fool blindly defending your choice against these accusations. Stuff like "I heard they have crap gearboxes" or "I heard they have a weak chassis, clearly they're not cut out for real work" is very hard to argue against.

Then again, I have seen just as many Nissans and Toyotas with twisted chassis as I have mitsu's. But no one would ever believe it.
    I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
    1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
    2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
    3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
    4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
    5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
    6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
    7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
    8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
    Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
    Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
    Supplanter
    Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Daniel2019 wrote:I like FTOs because they're a bit different and not all that common.
    I had an FTO before it was cool.
    LED ALL the things.
    bjk
    Totes

Post by bjk »

Supplanter wrote:
    Daniel2019 wrote:I like FTOs because they're a bit different and not all that common.
    Fortunately for you, it seems they still aren't.
    POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
    Image Image Image Image
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

bjk wrote:
    Supplanter wrote:
    Fortunately for you, it seems they still aren't.
    Hairdresser!
    shadowarrior
    Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Went for a test drive in soarer (both v6 tt and v8 ), the new Celica, Hyundai coupe, 99 wrx before I impulse purchased the fto. Drove mrs' pajero before, parent's land cruiser as well before, but none of them put any interest in me to learn to drive a car properly and own one. Fto was the only car I actually enjoyed driving and loved the face lift looks. I had already made up my mind when I bought my car, that if I didn't enjoy the fto after driving it around for a month, I'll sell it straight away. 2+ years on, I am keeping this car till it breathes it's last breath :)
    Guys at work call the fto a poseur of supra, I just face palm and walk away. :P
    FTO-Love-Affair
    Apprentice

Post by FTO-Love-Affair »

I can't quite get the whole "RWD is way better" thing either. Most people around here my age that race around have older version Commodores and Falcons, with a few Excels, Lancers, Magnas and other El Cheapo type cars that they add a muffler to and try and race everyone.

So often I see people pull up next to me at the lights in RWD cars, rev up their car whilst their mates point and laugh. I always wave them good bye before I smoke them to be polite, of course, and it always happens effortlessly. A few are now able to afford late model Commodores and Falcons now, buying them mostly because they're good in a straight line, but when any of them try and chase me, I always take them along twisty roads, where my wheels don't even squeak and they're disappearing off in the rear mirror trying not to go sideways.

I can honestly say that I don't really like RWD cars, simply because when you're trying to be fast, going sideways isn't going to help, not only that I've learnt my whole life on FWD cars. I had a few years racing in speedway with FWD cars, and so it just makes handling an FTO so easy at speed compared to a lot of RWD cars.

When people call the car slow, I just sit nice and quietly and smile, because they really do have no idea. One chick even said to me "Run back home in your little 4 banger" - Straight after going on about how she knows heaps about cars. I did get a good laugh out of it.

And when people call it a "girls car" - I take absolutely no offence. The sole reason my mother loves my car is because she does skids up the road and drag races P platers whilst using profanities to describe them.
    rock_it
    Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

My 2005 SLK55 AMG was RWD and people still called it a girls car... :cry:
    I just had to add it ......
    sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
    I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
    Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
    :utbnb:
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

rock_it wrote:My 2005 SLK55 AMG was RWD and people still called it a girls car... :cry:
    Girls or gheys? Either would be accurate :lol:

Technikhaus
    Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

The only thing I hate about the FTO is I'm always paranoid about understeer on the twisties :(
    Man '96 FTO GPX
    Man '90 MR2 GT
    Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
    rock_it
    Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Bennoz wrote:
    rock_it wrote:My 2005 SLK55 AMG was RWD and people still called it a girls car... :cry:
    Girls or gheys? Either would be accurate :lol:

Well ...

0-100 in around 4 seconds is not for the weak .. Even with the traction control turned on she would still do a burnout... Even though I mostly had the traction turned off...

The only thing that pissed me off about the car (apart from the fight(s) with the Mrs) was the fuel economy of over 11ltrs per 100km ...

Given you can pick up my year model (2005) for around 50-60k it is an awesome bang for buck car ...
    I just had to add it ......
    sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
    I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
    Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
    :utbnb:
    95Xena
    Grease Monkey

Post by 95Xena »

FTO-Love-Affair wrote:she does skids up the road and drag races P platers whilst using profanities to describe them.
    My kids would probably describe me the same way :lol:
    Corey95
    Grease Monkey

Post by Corey95 »

More hate on FTO's :( including Jack's.
    The JDM style tuning facebook group is full of tossers
    Attachments
    1.png
    2.png
    Untitled.png
    Untitled.png (373.52 KiB) Viewed 329 times
    silverGPX
    9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

I only got love on jdmst yeeee
    PHIL069
    Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Fark, everyone hates FTO's....I better sell mine then and buy a Magna.
    mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
    Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
    Technikhaus
    Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

PHIL069 wrote:Fark, everyone hates FTO's....I better sell mine then and buy a Riceboxracer.
    FTFY
    Man '96 FTO GPX
    Man '90 MR2 GT
    Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

Once again, LOL @ 'Style Tuning'
    SchumieFan
    Oldtimer