Exhaust back pressure.

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Herron
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Exhaust back pressure.

Post by Herron »

So I'm probably going to go down to Liverpool exhausts tomorrow and get a hurricane muffler fitted. Dad keeps raving on about back pressure and how I'll probably lose 50% of my power for putting on a muffler. I'm pretty sure he's just taking the piss and trying to get me to not buy one, but does anyone know if a muffler such as this could possibly reduce power with 2.5 or 2.25 mandrel bends?
I don't really want to drop $400 on a mod which could possibly get me defected as well as lose power haha.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Re: Exhaust back pressure.

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Get a straight pipe made up as well so you can swap them out when you want thats what ive got now or are you talking about the rear muffler
gotta get there one day :)
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

What are you getting exactly? Catback or axle back?

Either way, stock system is 2.25" and 2.5" is the optimum size. If anything you will gain a tiny bit of power going with a catback, not lose power.

You will get bigger gains with a set of extractors as the stock headers and y pipe are restrictive.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

I'm talking axle back because I'm poor :(
+ I'm aware of the power gains associated with the full system ( extractors high flow cat etc ). Just making sure I won't lose power with the axle back at 2.5 inchs.
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

ZFL45H1 wrote:Get a straight pipe made up as well so you can swap them out when you want thats what ive got now or are you talking about the rear muffler

Rear muffler.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Back pressure is something to be considered but you should be fine with the diameters you've suggested.
I think consensus around here for optimal diameters are 2.5 for MIVEC 6A12s and 2.25 for non-MIVEC 6A12s. Do a search to confirm, there should be a heap of posts about this.

Sounds like you're getting exhaust done, not just the muffler with the talk if mandrel bends, guessing cat back.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You won't loose any power.

$400 sounds a little expensive for an axle back though, that's about the price of what a basic catback costs.
Bennoz wrote:
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

Another question, how loud are ftos with after market mufflers exactly?
I plan to get all the resonators that I can, don't want to have any trouble with a cop when I get RBT'd ( on Ps)
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

Vectose wrote:You won't loose any power.

$400 sounds a little expensive for an axle back though, that's about the price of what a basic catback costs.
It's stainless steel mandrel bends. It was the cheapest I got from asking a bunch of shops.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Dude u can pickup a fuckin decent cat back exhaust on here for like $200-$300.... Spending that much on just a muffler is the biggest, I can garentee u will be disappointed.
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
destinationtoby
Broke it

And for $400 I'd be expecting a whole cat back system made up..
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

destinationtoby wrote:Dude u can pickup a fuckin decent cat back exhaust on here for like $200-$300.... Spending that much on just a muffler is the biggest, I can garentee u will be disappointed.
Know any one selling?
I've asked around 5 different exhaust shops and they all have been between 400-800 for stainless steel/ mandrel bends and muffler. I'm kind of in a pickle :/
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You don't really need stainless. Mild steel will do just fine.
Bennoz wrote:
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

Vectose wrote:You don't really need stainless. Mild steel will do just fine.
I was under the impression that mild steel would rust out?
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Has your stock mild steel exhaust rusted out after 15 or so years?

Chances are the mild steel exhaust will outlast your ownership of the car. And if by some chance you still own the car by the time it rusts out, you will probably be wanting a new exhaust anyway.

And most places use aluminized mild steel pipe, which has an aluminized coating on it to prevent rust and you can spray a coat of high temp paint over the welds.
Last edited by Vectose on Fri May 30, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bennoz wrote:
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

MADFTO wrote:Back pressure is something to be considered but you should be fine with the diameters you've suggested.
I think consensus around here for optimal diameters are 2.5 for MIVEC 6A12s and 2.25 for non-MIVEC 6A12s. Do a search to confirm, there should be a heap of posts about this.

Sounds like you're getting exhaust done, not just the muffler with the talk if mandrel bends, guessing cat back.
Just saw you post :). Maybe I was quoted for a cat back, I asked about mandrel bends and he said "yep". I asked for a stainless steel exhaust with stainless steel piping and mandrel bends. Would that be asking for a cat back?
I'm meeting a mate tomorrow who got his mazda done there, and if I like the exhaust I'll probably go down with him. So with 400$ you guys reckon I should go with mild steel and try to get a cat back?
You guys have been a bunch of help, thanks ;)
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

Vectose wrote:Has your stock mild steel exhaust rusted out after 15 or so years?

s.
God damn it. My dad's a bastard, told me " I had to go stainless steel" "would be replacing mufflers every 2 years" he also told me my stock exhaust was stainless and that's why it didn't rust. I swear he's making this process difficult on purpose. Thanks for the information vectose, probs saved me a couple hundred with that info. I'll probably get it done tomorrow and update a relevant thread incase any body cares.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Haha so your probably getting a stainless cat back exhaust system mandrel bent & hurricane muffler for $400.. In which case, you're doing well!
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Herron wrote:
Vectose wrote:Has your stock mild steel exhaust rusted out after 15 or so years?

s.
God damn it. My dad's a bastard, told me " I had to go stainless steel" "would be replacing mufflers every 2 years" he also told me my stock exhaust was stainless and that's why it didn't rust. I swear he's making this process difficult on purpose. Thanks for the information vectose, probs saved me a couple hundred with that info. I'll probably get it done tomorrow and update a relevant thread incase any body cares.
yeah in the UK maybe where they salt the roads lol
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Herron wrote:

s.
even the factory exhaust i have on the wreck has 1 minor hole from rust after 19 years lol