Dash rattles..

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Herron
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Dash rattles..

Post by Herron »

does anybody else's dashboard sh*t itself when you go over a bump or un even surface?
I made the mistake of driving down some pretty sh*t roads for about half a year and now my whole damn interior rattles :(
does any one know any way to fix this problem without generating even more rattles? its starting to annoy me but I guess I might have to live with it.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Re: Dash rattles..

Post by rock_it »

Go down Dwaynes driveway ... Good way to see if you get rattles...

In mine, I really only had a couple.. One of them was the rear brake like surrounding... Easy fixed, and the other was the glovebox.

You have to remember, these cars are getting a bit long in the tooth ... So things are going to come loose.. Only thing you can do, is try to determine where it exactly is, and get under there and lock-tight it or sound deaden it...

We took out the old dash in FRE55H's car and replaced with a new one... Not a lot of bolts and screws there, but when we put it in, we never heard a rattle ... To this day, it is still quiet as...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

how do you get under it? most of them sound like there coming from loose joins and the centre part of the dash where the volt metre and clock is. All the screws holding the dash in place are tight. This is the whole reason why you see me driving down narrellen road at 7 in the mornings, only way to get to school in time without going down the country roads.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Herron wrote:how do you get under it? most of them sound like there coming from loose joins and the centre part of the dash where the volt metre and clock is. All the screws holding the dash in place are tight. This is the whole reason why you see me driving down narrellen road at 7 in the mornings, only way to get to school in time without going down the country roads.
Hmmm .. There really aren't that many bolts holding the dash in place... I think Dwayne did a user guide for removing the dash ... Was a pretty quick job .. We did it down on his property..

Without hearing the noises hard to say what it could be ... But have you taken out the centre console to have a bit of a look .. Just be careful taking out the stereo surround.. They can be a little fragile due to the amount of time the car has probably spent out in the sun...

There could be parts that were taped/screwed/glued down behind the dash, and they have come lose and are starting to rub and cause noise... A common thing was crossover boxes for front splits. They tend to get stuffed either in the door trims, or somewhere behind the dash. After a while they become loose and start tapping..
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

ill have a look, stereo surround is already broken so it doesn't really matter. i need to take out my head unit any way to put an AUX cable in.
Thanks for the help :)
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

No probs..

If you want, take those parts off, and drive around with noting in the centre and see if you can get a mate to listen to where the noise is coming from ... May help isolate it a bit more...
tarkus
Mechanic

Post by tarkus »

buy 10 tubes of expanding foam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spray_foam ... ulation%29
and then spray away till its all quite again.
you are welcome!

regards Robert
Money can't buy happiness, but it can help you look for it quicker, in a convertible.
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

tarkus wrote:buy 10 tubes of expanding foam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spray_foam ... ulation%29
you are welcome!

regards Robert
Where abouts would I spray it exactly? All under the dash through the din bay?
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Just crack the window, close the door, stand outside and start spraying!
Last edited by SchumieFan on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Herron wrote:
tarkus wrote:buy 10 tubes of expanding foam. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spray_foam ... ulation%29
you are welcome!

regards Robert
Where abouts would I spray it exactly? All under the dash through the din bay?
Ahhh.. Don't do that... o_O
Herron
Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

SchumieFan wrote:Just crack the window, close the door, stand outside and start spraying!
Do a how to video on it for me? I'm more of a visual learner.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

The clear plastic faces on the clock and volt metre typically rattle. Id look there first if you are getting noises in that area.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    tarkus
    Mechanic

Post by tarkus »

:lol: http://youtu.be/wg2OBWE0uYM :lol:

and for all the stupid people! I AM ONLY JOKING!

robert
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can help you look for it quicker, in a convertible.
    Herron
    Grease Monkey

Post by Herron »

dstocks wrote:The clear plastic faces on the clock and volt metre typically rattle. Id look there first if you are getting noises in that area.
    Yeah the clocks plastic shielding is a little loose and rattley when I tapped it.