Tiptronic help *updated*

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Hyper
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Tiptronic help *updated*

Post by Hyper »

Hey guys, having some dramas and was hoping to get some ideas on how to fix them, i have a gpx 4 speed tiptronic that has decided to give up. Jumped in the car yesterday and for no apparent reason it had "dropped" all forward gears. Reverse still works but the car shudders a lot when its first selected. Since the problem occured it has gone into what i think to be "limp" mode where it sticks in 2nd gear. After a preliminary check all the hoses and wiring seem to be intact, altho someone standing next to the car at the time seemed to think they could hear a hiss/whistle when the box goes from park to reverse. So far i have cleaned the plugs/connections lightly with compressed air and done a visual inspection of everything and it all seems to be ok. The lights on the dash that tell you what gear your in dont come on at all, yet all the other dash displays illuminate properly. One thing i have yet to try is to "tweak" the speed sensors that i read about further down, which im going to try the minute i have this posted. Would anyone here happen to know what else i could do to try and fix this problem? If worst comes to worst its gonna be a trip to the mechanic, but i would rather try to fix it myself first. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance.....
HYPER.

*UPDATE*
Well, after a lot of head scratching by various ppl involved with getting this thing back on the road the fault was finally found. Turned out to be a faulty fuse in the in-cabin fuse box. Fuse was replaced with a 15 amp one and the problem seems to have gone. Thanx to fto617 for lending an ear to my problem...i appreciate it. One interesting thing to note was that when the car went down to mitsubishi to see what error codes it would display, the "service computer" wouldnt read anything from the vehicle due to it being in japanese. Anyone else have this happen at a mitsu dealer?
HYPER
Last edited by Hyper on Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

hey buddy
i had the same problem when i first had my gearbox rebuilt
i recently finish the rebuilt process
what happen to me was that i need to repalce the speed sensor and the nylon gear
if your nylon gear is worn, u wont be able to use tip mode as it would be stuck in "drive" or "3rd gear"
reverse will still work.
if u do need to replace the speed sensor + nylon gear
gime a pm
i got one left over for 125
i got it from kempys for 125 + 5 for postage and handling.
if no one wants it i'll jsut get a refund from kempyz
i ordered 2 pieces.