EOI - Supercharger installation kits - now have good boost

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

destinationtoby
Broke it
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: EOI - Supercharger installation kits

Post by destinationtoby »

Rob Furniss wrote: Although a turbo setup has benefits of more power, one of the benefits of a supercharger over a turbo are how it delivers the power, it's much gentler and kinder to the engine and you see a gradual increase in boost from low revs right to the top with a slight drop off at the top.
This ! Turbo sounds and feels better, more power and more exciting. But having a SC on feels sooo much smoother on the engine, and the power is there straight away, no spooling and then bouncing off limiter :lol:
I'd love a supercharged fto, would fkn fun!
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Nothing to get too excited about yet (although I am) but the first bracket has been made and will be on it's way to me shortly, here's a pic of part 1 of the two-piece bracket not just a render this time.
It's turned out pretty well I think.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Part 2 of the 2 piece mounting bracket has now been made and will be on it's way to me tomorrow, i've been sent some pics of the finished piece and it looks great.
Can't wait to get my hands on it and then mount the charger so I can continue with measuring for the pulley bracket and charge cooler.

Here's a pic of the charger mounted with the proper part 1 bracket but my own part 2 bracket, this professionaly made part 2 bracket is so much nicer, accurate and repeatable production.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Looks very good!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Cheers mate, i'm very pleased with the engineering shop from the invaluable advice and input right through to the finished articles they are really good.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Small update
I've ordered the liquid/air core for the charge cooler from Bell Intercoolers (Corky Bell and Gerhard Schruf are legends) so that should be on it's way to my engineer soon. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out as i'm expecting him to make a few changes to my design for the better but as well as this having a practical use i'm hoping it will look good too based on the other work that he's done, function is the main purpose though.
Rough design for the charge cooler/integrated plenum:

The purpose of this design is to provide enough charge cooling in a small package, keep the path short between the supercharger and the intake manifold to keep boost pressure up and lessen or completely remove the effects of lift off stall which is often present in this kind of setup with the supercharger after the throttle body with a long run to a front mount intercooler. Previous testing with my homemade plenum (no fmic) proved this setup does work.
As for enough cooling - well i've gone with a proper liquid/air core, it's a quality one and as large as I can fit, I will do some temp tests afterwards to see what pre/post temps are, we're aiming for low-ish boost anyway so it shouldn't be too bad.

Next
After the charge cooler we have the pulley bracket to make which should be much simpler in comparison and then the supercharger intake to throttle body - a little bit more complicated but we've already been working on the plans and solution for this.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Nice!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Quick update:
Just secured our second supercharger which I will be sending to the engineers to aid them working on the intake.
I have a cut-down FTO intake plenum with a flange tack welded to it heading to me from the engineers so I can finalise angles and dimensions for the integrated charge-cooler-plenum. We should hopefully pick up speed with this in the new year.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Progress! So this is designed as to not require an intercooler? Would there be any difference in running one on this sort of setup, if possible at all?