Transmission oil cooler

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Transmission oil cooler

Post by Rob Furniss »

Most of the parts for adding an aftermarket auto transmission oil cooler have arrived:
13 row oil cooler, hose and some (but not all) of the connectors - still waiting on 2 x 10AN female to 6AN male reducers (those 90's and hose are 6AN and the fitting on the coiler is 10AN) and also waiting on 6AN male to 8mm barb connectors (x 2) for connecting the hose to the gearbox.
The setup will be gearbox out to oil cooler in, oil cooler out to stock oil cooler pipe so only disconnecting one line from the gearbox and leaving the standard return line as is and running in series with the stock cooler not replacing it.
payaya
Oldtimer

Re: Transmission oil cooler

Post by payaya »

You don't wanna run 5/16th hose! Hole lot easier to just get hose clamps etc.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I added an ATF cooler to my Verada 5 speed auto.
To be honest I suggest you line it up the way I did:
Transmission out --> Factory cooler (radiator --> Thermostat bypass valve --> Auxiliary cooler --> transmission in

This way the ATF warms up if too cool, and if within operating temperature it bypasses the external cooler and goes back to the transmission, if too hot it goes past the external cooler and then back into the transmission.

Make sure you mount the external cooler on the side of the fan that starts first.
Since the ECU controls the fans (this may be different on an FTO) it activates 1 of the fans first, and if coolant temps go too high it actives high speed and/or the second fan.
This is also the fan that activates when the A/C is on.

What I am now looking at doing is getting a thermo switch to activate the fans if the ATF fluid rises too much.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Nice work.

How did you mount the cooler?

Pics?
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

I'm going to have to get one of these... My new radiator didn't have trans cooler connections so it's just plugged up for now... Hot weather will be a different question :?
Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

PHIL069 wrote:Nice work.

How did you mount the cooler?

Pics?
Not sure if you are referring to my post.
If so, here are pics of the external cooler. To be honest I fear that it is mostly covered by the front bar and unsure of how well it's cooling. When the fans kick in there is lots of flow over it. When they don't work I am not sure

PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Are the 2 metal straps holding it on?
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

There are 4 of those metal straps holding it in place
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

trans coolers bypass cooling when cold anyway?!
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I don't believe they do