Apexi SAFC 2

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bumpak
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Apexi SAFC 2

Post by bumpak »

So has anyone tried tuning there fto gpx themselves? My fto came with a APEXI SAFC 2 hand controller, it was already plugged into the loom and working. Dont think it has a wideband O2 sensor so dont know how they were tuning. I will be buying a wideband maybe next week and will give it a go, was just wondering if anyone has done this themselves or/and seen any differences?
Bennoz
National President

Re: Apexi SAFC 2

Post by Bennoz »

Apexi SAFC 2's were all the rage... about 10 years ago. Good as a paperweight these days.
bumpak
Apprentice

Post by bumpak »

Ok well in that case is it better to get a plastic fto ecu and have it flashed? Or go a more epxensive piggyback/stand alone? If i wanted to get some tuning done on my fto.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

There's a lot more work then just flashing an fto ecu and it's very hard to do. I can almost bet no one in Australia has reflashed the stock ecu

You'd be better off going aftermarket
bumpak
Apprentice

Post by bumpak »

Well i would of thought even with just a SAFC and a wideband i could at least get some more power from a 6a12 mivec by doing some basic fuel mapping? They cant surely be useless can they.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

If your car is running rich (which a lot are as standard) then you should be able to lean it out a little with an SAFC2 or similar and gain a few ponies - not a lot though, you will need a wideband yes so you know where your fuelling is at.
With a more capable tool you would also be able to advance the ignition slightly (or rather a good tuner would with knock detection kit) and again you may get another couple of horses on top.
I had an SAFC2 years ago, - they look nice (well I thought so at the time) and at the time seemed worthwhile doing, up to you dude and depends what your future plans are.
You've already got it so why not I suppose, just need a wideband now which I think are worthwhile having anyway.
bumpak
Apprentice

Post by bumpak »

Thanks rob that was the response I was after, well I'll buy the wide band (no harm there) and give myself a few weeks to get the feel for it and let you guys know.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

When a said more capable tool I mean a proper piggyback like an emanage blue or emanage ultimate or a haltech unit - basically one that also allows ignition timing.
Although a lot of people retard the timing for turbo setups, in non-forced induction you can often advance the timing a little with this engine if you're always running higher octane fuel and the tuner is good. I even had a couple of degrees advance on the supercharger setup at certain points.
With the SAFC2 you certainly can lean out the fuelling though and that's a start, you've got it so give it a go and let us know how you get on :)