Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Wraith
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO Headlights request

Post by Wraith »

Hi All :)
Just wondering if anyone know's of the part numbers for the RH headlight for a 95 FTO GPX.
Can I get one through places like REPCO or do I have to Mitzi direct?
Appologies at the urgancy of the question but mine's just stopped working and have some night driving ahead of me ....
Can anyone help?

Wraith.
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Ok..

Did you check that the bulb is ok? Also if it stoped working you don't really need the "whole" headlight... cos that will cost you an arm and a leg, and maybe some kidneys :wink:

If it's serious you might just have to replace the cluster that holds the bulbs, the cheapest would be trying to find it 2nd hand, but 1st get an auto electrician to look at it, but before this i would seriously try and change the bulb... which are hb4 btw...

You can try this website: www.partslocator.com.au, for parts. I don't think you will be able to just walk into repco, and really not all mitsubishi dealers know what an fto is either :?

BTW, When you say RH Headlight, it all depends on what side you are looking from, so it's best to say drivers or passangers side :lol:
Name: Boris
Rides: Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR, Volvo XC60 & 3 push bikes!
Wraith
Apprentice

Post by Wraith »

thanks for that Boris...
yes I meant the actual globe as the igh beam is working.
and by RH I meant from looking at the car from the outside... so I guess I mean the drivers side lamp.
will do a ring around and see what I can find on the way of globes.

P.S. Guess it's an often asked question, but can I put stronger ones in there or the icy blue ones to make it look brighter while I"m replacing the globes anyway? i.e. legally and pratially?

thanks Again
Wraith.
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

So in the case, that you do say it's a bulb then this is easy..

Hmm... Globes... So many options...

Well, you can do a search for lot's of different topics on the different bulbs that people have tried, and what they think of them...

Also, I personally woundn't recommend putting stronger wattage bulbs in as you never know what will happen, ie too hot etc,

However, thing is, typically the more you spend the better they are... let me give you an example, these are for your normal lights, just as an example,

:arrow: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW (These are probably the best globes )

These use 55W, but they give out more, like instead of 55W, 100W, now another thing to consider, is the temperature that they glow at, which is measured in Kelvin... anyway, these are 7500K which is, probably the highest I have ever seen on a standard bulb like this.

Keep in mind, that cheaper alternatives, that are lower Price & Kelvin try to mimic this "blue" look, but putting blue filters on, this just simply reduces the brightness of them. The blue comes out naturally when you have very high Kelvin... and most of the time doesn't quite look right...

I wount bore you with more... :D
Just visit any decent car shop for globes... Good Luck
Wraith
Apprentice

Post by Wraith »

Thanks again Boris...
And yes I agree... had I said GLOBES in the beginning it would have made things easier.... sorry it's been THAT ind of night.....

My appologies.
the link you have is for HID globes... I don't have that type I think... just have the normal ones... or are HID the normal ones? isn't there a kit that converts normal to HID? I think that's the expensive one and not ready to go there just yet...
Just thinking a way to make them brighter while I'm changing them anyway... and REALLY not ready to spend $85 US on a set of globes... lol
so HB4 is still the ones that I"m looking for?
cheers
Wraith
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

I'm pretty sure those above are "Closest HID like bulb from PIAA" So these would fit without any other bits or conversions, they just resemble HID, in the temperature a way (7500k)

I just gave you the most expensive example I knew, and one example that I have been looking at 4 ages...

But yes, HID is quite expensive, but worth the cost, as I have heard.. :cry:

So, in the end, go to Repco and get something like Phillips Blue Vision, for ~$60, In HB4 which is also known as 9006...

There are also many other alternatives for globes that you could look into, the Phillips ones, are not to crap, but not best... There are also cheaper alternatives...

Hope that helps...
Wraith
Apprentice

Post by Wraith »

cool :)
Thanks heaps for that :)
Will go and see what I can find :)
Cheers
Wraith
Wraith
Apprentice

Parking and fog lights

Post by Wraith »

Hi all.
Ok done that and replaced the mains with phillips blue vision...
Guess what... I want to do the rest of the lights now.
Does anyone know the globes for the foglights and parking lights for a 95 FTO GPX?
and also... how can I get at the fog and parking lights so that I can change the globes?
do I have to take the front bar off?
any advice would be VERY welcome.

Thanks heaps
Wraith.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

replacing parkers have been covered before