Cylinder Configuration

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Paddyman
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Cylinder Configuration

Post by Paddyman »

This is probably one for Mitsi, but does anyone on here definitively know the Cylinder Configuration for the V6 engine, i.e. which is No 123456
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Do you simply want to know which cyclinder is which or do you want the firing order or do you want both information?
MIVEC is My Friend :D
Paddyman
Apprentice

Post by Paddyman »

Both please if that is possible
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

The rear (right) bank are cylinders 1,3 and 5 and this starts from the drivers side. Obviously the front (left) bank are 2,4 and 6 and it is numbered the same way

Not sure about the firing order but the V6 galants (6G72) fire in order (1,2,3,4,5,6) but this may not be correct
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

salacious wrote:The rear (right) bank are cylinders 1,3 and 5 and this starts from the drivers side. Obviously the front (left) bank are 2,4 and 6 and it is numbered the same way

Not sure about the firing order but the V6 galants (6G72) fire in order (1,2,3,4,5,6) but this may not be correct
firing order is not right... cause its a wasted spark ignition system the electrical energy hits the front spark then continues onto the rear bank via a sparkplug lead... i can't remember the firing order though been ages since i've changed the plugs....

EDIT: Post moved to correct forum... Please use the correct forums for posts it helps everyone!
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

I've looked up the section in the workshop manual on adjusting the tappets and I do believe that the firing order is 1,2,3,4,5,6. The wasted spark will still work since 1/4, 2/5, and 3/6 will be firing at the same time although one cylinder will be in the compression stroke and the other cylinder will be in the exhaust stroke.

If the timing marks on the cambelt are lined up, cylinder 1 is at TDC. At this point you can adjust the tappets for C6 In, C2 Ex, C1 In and Ex. You then turn the crank over 240 degrees clockwise so that cylinder 3 is now at TDC. You can now adjust C2 In, C4 Ex, C3 In and Ex. Turn it another 240 degrees and C5 is now TDC. You can adjust C4 In, C6 Ex, C5 In and Ex. You can only adjust the tappets when the valves are closed so it makes perfect sense to me that the firing order is 1,2,3,4,5,6
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

yeah that seems to make sense seeing as the configuration is

BACK bank
4 5 6
1 2 3
FRONT bank
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

smorison wrote:yeah that seems to make sense seeing as the configuration is

BACK bank
4 5 6
1 2 3
FRONT bank
Which means that my first post on the cylinder numbering is wrong. I guess we've found a mistake in the electrical wiring section of the workshop manual :!:
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

salacious wrote: Which means that my first post on the cylinder numbering is wrong. I guess we've found a mistake in the electrical wiring section of the workshop manual :!:

er i haven't looked at the wiring diagram i guess it could be wrong... i thought it numbered them along each bank first..... i guess i'm going to have to pull out my manuals tonight and check it out...

the firing order could be as above and in actual fact that's kind of right with a wasted spark system...

and it wouldn't suprise me if the numbering for firing order (electrical diagrams) is different from the rest of the documentation (technical / workshop / engine - diagrams)...

does that make sense? what i'm saying is

mechanical
BACK bank
4 5 6
1 2 3
FRONT bank

electrical
BACK bank
2 4 6
1 3 5
FRONT bank
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

I do agree that electrically and mechanically they may be numbered different. I have a spare (knacered) engine, I'm going to go and check sometime when I remember :?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

salacious wrote:I do agree that electrically and mechanically they may be numbered different. I have a spare (knacered) engine, I'm going to go and check sometime when I remember :?
can i steal the cams out of that ;) having trouble getting some here to use as templates and i need my car at the moment so can't have it off the road for weeks and weeks