Which Turbo?

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ANBU_fto
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Which Turbo?

Post by ANBU_fto »

hi guys

im in the stage of planning things and finding out things for turbo charging me baby....

i was just wondering... which turbo would be good for the fto... regaurdless of the price.... something that will produce good power for ya bucks thing u know...? yea.... thanks
...groOl...

08 Evolution X - White
97 Gpx Fto - Racing Red
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

well the popular choice with the VIC boys seem to be the T28BB.

But personally i'd like to do it differently and go with the old MR2 supercharger :wink:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Turbo's are very tricky, its all depends what sort of power you want to achieve, what I mean is, do you want day to day drivability, track days or 1/4 miles.

If money is not a problem, you can always customize one instead of those "off the shelf", you can pick from ceramic, ball bearings, twin scroll turbine blades to different type compression housing & exhaust housing.

Personally I would get a twin scroll blade, with T28BB compression housing but with a T3 exhaust housing, that will give you a fast spoon up due to the twin scroll blade & the smaller compression housing, while the larger exhaust housing will give you a fantastic mid-top end.

It’s similar to the HKSGT31 design (I think) but it only uses a single ball bearing blade instead of twin scroll.

What i have said so far are very basic concept, cause theres lot more to that, for example theres 3-4 different size of compression housing for just the T28BB.

It is rocket science, & that’s why you pay big bucks to those experts to do it.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

As you are based in Melbourne, I'd be talking to someone who does a lot of turbo work such as AVO.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Do keep in mind, AVO charge a mini fortune for a small job. But they do a good job with lots of R&D & experience behind them.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

yea i spoke the AVO turbo world, they gave me a rough quote of 8k with the t25bb or something like that... i cant remember...

i was doing a research and thought what about STi turbos or even EVO turbos... the cars seem to do gr8 with them turbos so i was like cool... what u reackon guys?
...groOl...

08 Evolution X - White
97 Gpx Fto - Racing Red
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

As Kev has said, AVO might charge a little extra, but they know their sh*t and will get it done right.

Personally, I'd rather pay a higher price and get it done properly than have it drag on due to all sorts of different issues with another company.

$8K is quite a reasonable price.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Which STi & EVO you talking about? Cause they use slightly different turbo, but they are all base on Mitsubishi TD04 & TD05

If you going for TD04/Td05, i would suggest for the T28BB, as its a slightly larger & also its been use in the S15 Jap spec, & all skyline GTR
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

go the td05 :D
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

The turbo is the easy question. With a 2l engine and non hardened internals the GT28BB is the best suited. this will give the best HP with the least lag. Any bigger and you will get too much lag.
The big question is which engine management?
You will need some form of aftermarket ecu. The cheapest is the Unichip but this gives only limited tunability. The microtech will suit a manuel, but if you`ve got a tip box you will need to go Motech which is $4k for the basic module.
Sorry to highjack your thread but I am interested in what everyone thinks about this. I am doing the 6A13 transplant so I will have a 2.5l engine so I am going for the G35/40 turbo.(slightly bigger than the T28). But am still unsure which way to go with ECU. I wish to keep my tip box.
Jeff
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Jeff wrote: The microtech will suit a manuel, but if you`ve got a tip box you will need to go Motech which is $4k for the basic module.
Jeff

why??? this is the first i've heard of this.... more information please :D
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

I have been told this from different sources, that the ecu controls the tip box, so a piggyback like the Unichip has no problems. The microtech, takes over all the functions of the ecu but cannot handle the transmission changes. I have spoken to a mechanic who tried to use the microtech to run the engine but leaving the original ecu to run the tip, sort of wireing it in like a piggyback, and this did not work. I hope I have explained this well.
The motech has enough ins & outs and flexability to run the tip box as well. The only problem is they have to programe your box from scratch.
ie put in all you auto changes. The tip part is easy.
Does this make sense.
Jeff
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

RPM Performance in Adelaide performed the turbo conversion on Angela's tiptronic GPX (EXC) with a GT25 turbo and Microtech MTX12 ECU (if i remember correctly)

IMO the Motech is an overkill, unless you're absolutely serious about building a kick-arse setup. For the extra costs involved in buying the MoTec, you could buy yourself a set of custom forged rods or pistons!

as for the turbo, it all depends on what your needs are and what restrictions you have. There are different types of turbos for all types of applications, from something really small to give you a lot of low-end torque to a huge MF that won't spool until 5000rpm+ (if you can somehow find a way to make it fit in your engine bay)
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

so the s15 turbo would suit the fto best..?

i was thinking of the vg or vr ot something like that

the vz35 or something... sporry i really cant remember the name.... but a lot of rey's seem to use it, and they ont kick in untill 4k rpm... thats full boost though
...groOl...

08 Evolution X - White
97 Gpx Fto - Racing Red
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

what is your budget ?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

i think you will find that the Automatic transmission has a seperate ECU from the engine ECU.
So if you get someone who knows what there doing to wire up your new ECU or maybe contact Microtech or EMS and donate your car for a couple of weeks they may just develop a plug and play if there was enough people interested.
I suggest you leave your ECU purchase till the very last thing as then you can choose from the latest releases. Microtech has the MT-16 coming out at the end of the year and EMS has the 8860, who i spoke too today and they will be doing a software upgrade in a couple of months. These two computers in my opinion offer the best bang for your buck. they are 32 bit and have dataloggers, and the EMS with there next software upgrade will be able to support individual thermocouples on each exhaust port.

BUT the most very very important thing about selecting a computer is that you know of someone who is very good at tuning that type of computer.

you can have the best of everything in your engine and you let someone tune it who is still learning or not very good with that type of computer and they can easily blow up your motor. I cant say this enough, make sure you get the best tuner to tune your car, if you have after market computer.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

dannyboyau wrote:i think you will find that the Automatic transmission has a seperate ECU from the engine ECU.

yeah it does it sits in underneath where the stereo goes...

i'm sure the engine ECU and tip ECU talk to each other however the engine ECU definately does not control the changing of gears or INVEC's... all it should be outputting to it (if it doesn't already get it) is Engine RPM, Throttle Position, Engine Load, and Car Speed.

maybe some more things but they're the basics
veilside
Apprentice

Post by veilside »

I don't know a whole lot about cars yet so if this is a stupid question, please forgive me: are all of you guys doing full-blown engine conversions or are some of these bolt-on turbos? I've been led to believe there are no bolt-on's for the FTO but I know RPW are working on one, as well as a 2.5L twin turbo engine. Says a little bit about these projects in the link below but they are hard to get in contact with.

http://www.rpw.com.au/Performance%20Upg ... fto101.htm
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

veilside wrote:I don't know a whole lot about cars yet so if this is a stupid question, please forgive me: are all of you guys doing full-blown engine conversions or are some of these bolt-on turbos? I've been led to believe there are no bolt-on's for the FTO but I know RPW are working on one, as well as a 2.5L twin turbo engine. Says a little bit about these projects in the link below but they are hard to get in contact with.

http://www.rpw.com.au/Performance%20Upg ... fto101.htm

Yeah they been saying this for yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssssssss, but i haven't seen anything yet. They also had the 2.5L mivec in the pipeline which cost around $10k (including shipping & engine swap). But like i said, its been a whillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, since anyone had heard anything about anyone of the proto-type.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

the short version of the RPW turbo development is that they could not find someone in australia prepared to "lend" their car for the development of the bolton kit... so they had to ship the kit to the UK for one of our sister club's members to test it...

there were some turbo oil supply problems (who's fault that was we will never know)... and the turbo blew up...

ever since then its been very quiet on the turbo front with RPW... whether they lost interest in the project or what we don't know...