Anyone hazard a guess at what this fitting is?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Anyone hazard a guess at what this fitting is?

Post by Rob Furniss »

The one on the left.
I've been told it's M16x1.5 on the fat end and AN4 on the other but doesn't look like AN4 to me as I thought that was supposed to be 37 degree flare like the one on the right (which is i'm pretty sure M16x1.5 to AN4 37 degree flare).
I know the thread is ok on the thin end as i've confirmed this it's 7/16 20 unf it's just the flare i'm worried about but I guess if the angle is ok it will be ok?

They are also both measuring differently on the fat end, one on the left is 15.3mm and the one on the right (which i'm pretty sure is ok) is 15.7mm - that seems to be within M16 x 1.5 specs.

How do I confirm both ends of the fitting? Been to bunnings and masters but they only go up to M12 on their thread tester thing, supercheap auto were no use whatsoever.
Also been to a brake place and he said they do seem different and he thinks the fat end on the left one is 5/8 UNF.
tarkus
Mechanic

Re: Anyone hazard a guess at what this fitting is?

Post by tarkus »

whats it off Rob?

do a search for "Engineers' supplies" in yellow pages, there are a couple in Carrum Downs. they will have more idea and can confirm thread size.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can help you look for it quicker, in a convertible.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

It's off a brake reservoir but doesn't look like the usual AN 37 degree flare.
I called at a brake place in Mornington but he didn't know for sure, will check with the guys at Carrum Downs - cheers.
tarkus wrote:whats it off Rob?

do a search for "Engineers' supplies" in yellow pages, there are a couple in Carrum Downs. they will have more idea and can confirm thread size.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I've just loaded that image into sketchup and used the protractor tool on both fittings, the one on the right is 37 degrees (as per AN spec) and the one on the left is 45 degrees (SAE?)
Means it's no good as although the threads are the same (7/16 20 UNF) and I could screw it into an AN female until it stops and it may just seal it won't be sealing on the angle just at the tiny point where it makes contact so i'm not happy, shite!
Still need to find out what the port is on the res and get an AN fitting to screw in.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Go to any large tool shop they have the tools to measure threads.