Buying an FTO - What to look for?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mezje
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Buying an FTO - What to look for?

Post by mezje »

Vectose wrote:Well then it's a GX, which has had a MIVEC engine put in it.

If it's still got the GX ecu/loom you are most likely going to have issues with it.
The owner seems pretty clueless about the car, he bought a 4WD and it seems to have sat on the street for the better part of a year.

Anyway I could tell the loom? I could definitely feel the mivec kick in at about 5k revs, what sort of issues we talking? Again thanks for the help :)
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Have you got a picture of the engine and in particular, the oil cap on top of the engine. Mivec oil cap is on the drivers side of the front head and on the non mivec,its on the passengers side.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    mezje
    Mechanic

Post by mezje »

dstocks wrote:Have you got a picture of the engine and in particular, the oil cap on top of the engine. Mivec oil cap is on the drivers side of the front head and on the non mivec,its on the passengers side.
    Only photo I have - imgur.com/L03bFuB

What would be said issues if loom wasn't swapped?
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Is definitely a mivec engine with a non mivec intake. Is there a plug that fits into the MAF sensor (black box between intake pipe and pod. If there is, still has the non mivec loom.If not then maybe the loom has been replaced too.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      mezje
      Mechanic

Post by mezje »

dstocks wrote:Is definitely a mivec engine with a non mivec intake. Is there a plug that fits into the MAF sensor (black box between intake pipe and pod. If there is, still has the non mivec loom.If not then maybe the loom has been replaced too.
      I am pretty keen on buying it, the body work wasn't too bad, super cheap and I won't be too afraid when working on it.

When I looked at it the battery was dead and the dude did some weird things to try start it with jump leads...

1. He disconnected the leads from the terminals and tried to jump it directly to the leads, would this have fucked the computer? The car still run after but I heard this is something you should never do...
      2. He connected both the positive and negative terminals on the FTO, I believe you should only connect the positive and negative to ground?

The leads also had no visible surge protector. I am a bit of a spud and have never actually jump started a car so I assumed what I was seeing was right. How bad could this be?

I will likely be swapping the battery with my Verada's as that battery is only a year old.
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Normally, I leave both leads connected to battery and just hook the +on the jumper pack to the positive terminal on the battery and the - on the jumper pack to the negative terminalon the battery. Have never had any issues and have done this a LOT with FTO's as many of the ones ive grabbed over the years have had flat batteries.
        mezje
        Mechanic

Post by mezje »

dstocks wrote:Normally, I leave both leads connected to battery and just hook the +on the jumper pack to the positive terminal on the battery and the - on the jumper pack to the negative terminalon the battery. Have never had any issues and have done this a LOT with FTO's as many of the ones ive grabbed over the years have had flat batteries.
        Good to know, the car still ran fine so I suspect we didn't fry anything with the computer, we learned the alarm definitely works well too when trying to jump it :P
        mezje
        Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Well I bought it and will be picking it up on Friday!

Going to be a slow safe drive home with the unrego'd vehicle permit... I will post pics as soon as I give it a good clean and make a ride thread. Now to wait for my rada to sell :)