Roadworthy -not, failure again - PASSED

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Roadworthy -not, failure again - PASSED

Post by Rob Furniss »

Rowans FTO (my son) has failed it's 2nd roadworthy check, this time on different things which is crap.

Heater core - how easy to do, anyone have a spare and why would it fail on this? (it's right behind glove box and eveything isn't it?)
Oil leaks - don't where from as we cleaned it down and drove it and not seen anything - will ask the guy when we pick it up
Indicators - ??? (not auto cancelling)

Pretty annoying that there are now new things that weren't on the first list (apart from oil leaks), two different testers.
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re: Roadworthy -not, failure again

Post by Rob Furniss »

Ok seems the heater core is for the windscreen demister which makes sense from a safety point of view, bugger. This isn't a job I fancied doing before the bonfire, plus finding and fixing the oil leak.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Heater core is a massive pain... seems a bit harsh to fail that on a roadworthy... how did they test it?

Have you had the steering wheel off? It would be the only reason why the spindle is miss aligned so it wouldn't cancel... try taking the wheel off and checking it (1 screw and a 17mm nut) should be able to find the problem pretty quick... (try starting the car and turning it from stop to stop then try the indicators, this helped for me)

Oil leak could be from anywhere
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

SchumieFan wrote:Heater core is a massive pain... seems a bit harsh to fail that on a roadworthy... how did they test it?

Have you had the steering wheel off? It would be the only reason why the spindle is miss aligned so it wouldn't cancel... try taking the wheel off and checking it (1 screw and a 17mm nut) should be able to find the problem pretty quick... (try starting the car and turning it from stop to stop then try the indicators, this helped for me)

Oil leak could be from anywhere
Steering wheel - yes he's put an OMP one on (well I helped him), despite me saying get the roadworthy done first! Going to put the original back on.
They said the heater has been bypassed/pipes aren't there in the engine bay/firewall.
Oil leak - yes a pain, I have rocker gaskets, cam seals and half moons though which I bought for my car so he can owe me, just a pain to do!
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Wow

I thought german technical inspections are rough... but a not working heater? 8O

welp I have to go to the technical inspection aswell pretty soon and Im working hard to pass it first try :D
random
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I've sorted the indicator issue, the problem was introduced with the fitting of a boss and aftermarket steering wheel (probably incorrect fitting by us).
I think the cancel mechanism pegs wern't in the holes on the boss so wasn't turning and cancelling.
We've put his original wheel back on and all is good so that's 2 out of 4 issues sorted :)
Just got oil leaks and heater core to fix now.

The core has definitely been bypassed, I might remove the bypass and see how it is until my core arrives as it's probably leaking a little but will this get it through the roadworthy as long as it's heating and demisting? Just don't really want to rip the dash out this week as well as sorting the oil leaks.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

See how wet your passengers footwell gets. You can always re-bypass it once it gets through rego anyway.

Oh and dont go backto that guy. Thats ridiculous.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Rob Furniss
    Oldtimer

Re: Roadworthy -not, failure again - PASSED

Post by Rob Furniss »

Got an RWC now, just need to get it registered.
    SchumieFan
    Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Congrats!
    rock_it
    Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Rob Furniss wrote:Got an RWC now, just need to get it registered.
    Ha! Good stuff ... Good to hear...
    I just had to add it ......
    sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
    I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
    Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
    :utbnb: