Paint stripper + Plastidip

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mezje
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Paint stripper + Plastidip

Post by mezje »

So I bought some wheels to put on my car for selling... Stripped the plastidip off the first 3 wheels, they come out well underneath and I'm pretty happy until I get to the 4th wheel.

Some f**k had decided it would be a great idea to paint one wheel black with spray paint, then when they failed clearly just decided to dip them all.

I spoke with a sandblaster and they said the sandblasting is guaranteed to just strip everything including whatever the stock finish was. So I am left with 2 options:

1. Use paint stripper and hope that the 2 layers of paint (spray and plastidip) will get removed leaving the stock finish intact.
2. Redip all the wheels.

What do you think I should do? On a side not too, when cleaning a throttle body, once it is fully removed from the car am I okay rotate the valve or will I muck up the computer?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Re: Paint stripper + Plastidip

Post by rock_it »

mezje wrote:So I bought some wheels to put on my car for selling... Stripped the plastidip off the first 3 wheels, they come out well underneath and I'm pretty happy until I get to the 4th wheel.

Some f**k had decided it would be a great idea to paint one wheel black with spray paint, then when they failed clearly just decided to dip them all.

I spoke with a sandblaster and they said the sandblasting is guaranteed to just strip everything including whatever the stock finish was. So I am left with 2 options:

1. Use paint stripper and hope that the 2 layers of paint (spray and plastidip) will get removed leaving the stock finish intact.
2. Redip all the wheels.
Paint stripper is infact that.. It will bubble up, and take off everything... It will not just take off two layers of paint that you don't like.

I would sandblast them all, and re-do the lot properly ... Or if your budget does not permit, just plasti-dip again ..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
mezje
Mechanic

Re: Paint stripper + Plastidip

Post by mezje »

rock_it wrote:
mezje wrote:So I bought some wheels to put on my car for selling... Stripped the plastidip off the first 3 wheels, they come out well underneath and I'm pretty happy until I get to the 4th wheel.

2. Redip all the wheels.
Paint stripper is infact that.. It will bubble up, and take off everything... It will not just take off two layers of paint that you don't like.

I would sandblast them all, and re-do the lot properly ... Or if your budget does not permit, just plasti-dip again ..
They are just for selling, cost of sandblasting them all and getting them re-done is just not worth it for me. Re-dip it will be.

Regarding the throttle body, I assume I am ok once it is fully disconnected to turn the valve to give it a good clean?