Heater Core has been bypassed but doesn' connect, is it ok?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Funugs
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Heater Core has been bypassed but doesn' connect, is it ok?

Post by Funugs »

Trying to figure out why my heater never worked and I found this.

The pipe snapped off and the previous owner decided to just block off both pipes instead of connecting them, is this safe or is it restricting the flow of coolant around my engine?

It looks like its been running like this for quite a while, when I took my valve covers off there was quite abit of carbon/burnt oil on the inside could this be related?

Is there someway i could reconnect/fix this or do I have to buy a new one and pull that out?
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: Heater Core has been bypassed but doesn' connect, is it

Post by dstocks »

Most likely the heater core itself failed and dumped water into the passenger side footwell (common problem). When removing the hoses, they broke one off (also a common problem). Its safe enough bypassed like that, but you will never have a heater until it is fixed.You will need a new (or 2nd hand) heater core. Its a bugger of a job to do. Will take at least a couple of hours to replace as most of the units under the dash need to come out. It is possible to do without degassing the aircon (ive done that). Its also possible to do without removing the dash (others have done this). Not sure if you can do both at the same time though.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Funugs
    Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

dstocks wrote:Most likely the heater core itself failed and dumped water into the passenger side footwell (common problem). When removing the hoses, they broke one off (also a common problem). Its safe enough bypassed like that, but you will never have a heater until it is fixed.You will need a new (or 2nd hand) heater core. Its a bugger of a job to do. Will take at least a couple of hours to replace as most of the units under the dash need to come out. It is possible to do without degassing the aircon (ive done that). Its also possible to do without removing the dash (others have done this). Not sure if you can do both at the same time though.
    Damn. Do you have one I could buy off you?
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I think I have a 2nd hand one, but will have to check
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      kiz
      SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

This reminds me... I still have to get a new heater core for mine :lol:
      There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
      Funugs
      Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

sweet, ill just get that one then.
      SchumieFan
      Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Yup... I've got one on the way also, though my heater pipes are joined by a 19mm elbow join I got from the bunnings garden hose section :lol: