Manually engage MICEV with a button?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Funugs
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Manually engage MICEV with a button?

Post by Funugs »

Could I splice into the MIVEC solenoid wires and run a button to my dash that engages the MIVEC solenoid at my will (im amusing its just 12v)? I know it wouldnt make much power at lower RPMs but I still think that would be pretty cool.
Last edited by Funugs on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bennoz
National President

Re: Manually engage MICEV with a button?

Post by Bennoz »

Be prepared to cop an earful champ :lol:
Chebus
Grease Monkey

Post by Chebus »

Blah blah mitsubishi engineers blah blah don't mess with it blah blah c**nts fucked.

Did I do it right?
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

lmao, ye I wasn't expecting my 'genius idea' to go down too well with some folk, just wanna know if it will f**k anything up if I do it.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Don't do it. Absolutely no point.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I tested an R-spec mivec controller at the strip with different mivec points and couldn't improve my time one bit, that was the old supercharged car.
I would have maybe had more luck with a different cam due to forced induction (from what i've been told) but it's not like you can just swap em over to see.
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Rob Furniss wrote:I tested an R-spec mivec controller at the strip with different mivec points and couldn't improve my time one bit, that was the old supercharged car.
I would have maybe had more luck with a different cam due to forced induction (from what i've been told) but it's not like you can just swap em over to see.
I'm not really after a performance gain, I just think it would be cool to have that option, just for the sound even.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Funugs wrote:I'm not really after a performance gain, I just think it would be cool to have that option, just for the sound even.
:lol:

Yeah bro set it to 800rpm!
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

5 replies later and not a single attempt to answer my actual question :lol:

I dont want to mess with the MIVEC engagement RPM, I just want a button that engages it manually if I want to at any random RPM, could this possibly f**k my car in anyway?
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Funugs wrote:5 replies later and not a single attempt to answer my actual question :lol:
Because it's a stupid question :lol:

Use the search button up the top ^^^

It is also pointless and P plater spec :lol:
I fix cars.
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Just f**king turbo it if you want more power at lower rpm.....
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

kiz wrote:Just f**king turbo it if you want more power at lower rpm.....
He doesnt, he just wants a button so when he's on a maccas run with his mates he can go "hey look I can make my car louder with a button"

Are you sure you don't own a VTEC YO!!!!! integra? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I fix cars.
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Daniel2019 wrote:
He doesnt, he just wants a button so when he's on a maccas run with his mates he can go "hey look I can make my car louder with a button"
BINGO! :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Funugs wrote:5 replies later and not a single attempt to answer my actual question :lol:

I dont want to mess with the MIVEC engagement RPM, I just want a button that engages it manually if I want to at any random RPM, could this possibly f**k my car in anyway?
Well if the ecu detects one of a number of issues it disables mivec and it must be doing this for a reason, for safety, so if you could engage it whenever then depending on how you do it and how the ecu works and there was an issue then you would have one of two scenarios.
a) ecu would stop you engaging mivec due to one of the issues (so ok).
b) ecu doesn't have a clue you've done it and you have an issue and as you're over-riding the fail safes you screw something big time.

Mivec works on oil pressure so maybe you would be robbing oil pressure from critical areas by screwing around with it, don't know for sure.
If you want to find out just for giggles then have a crack but personally I wouldn't bother.

The apexi vafc can do it, as can the apexi safcII I think with an added bit of kit, also the r-spec mivec controller and a couple of others so it's definitely possible but I don't know how they are triggering it. Are they doing it safely like the ecu still has final control and can disable mivec if there's an issue or do they just change the rpm signal going to the ecu to trick it into thinking it's a the normal mivec point, don't really know.
You should also consider fuelling at the mivec point (as it's different and I think often goes a little lean for a second - can't just be conincidence) and possibly ignition timing may be programmed differently for mivec.
Really not something to mess with in my opinion unless using something proven.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Funugs wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:
BINGO! :lol:
Put a Supercharger on, nothing like it, makes the hair stand up on the back of - well everything.
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Rob Furniss wrote:

Well if the ecu detects one of a number of issues it disables mivec and it must be doing this for a reason, for safety, so if you could engage it whenever then depending on how you do it and how the ecu works and there was an issue then you would have one of two scenarios.
a) ecu would stop you engaging mivec due to one of the issues (so ok).
b) ecu doesn't have a clue you've done it and you have an issue and as you're over-riding the fail safes you screw something big time.

Mivec works on oil pressure so maybe you would be robbing oil pressure from critical areas by screwing around with it, don't know for sure.
If you want to find out just for giggles then have a crack but personally I wouldn't bother.

The apexi vafc can do it, as can the apexi safcII I think with an added bit of kit, also the r-spec mivec controller and a couple of others so it's definitely possible but I don't know how they are triggering it. Are they doing it safely like the ecu still has final control and can disable mivec if there's an issue or do they just change the rpm signal going to the ecu to trick it into thinking it's a the normal mivec point, don't really know.
You should also consider fuelling at the mivec point (as it's different and I think often goes a little lean for a second - can't just be conincidence) and possibly ignition timing may be programmed differently for mivec.
Really not something to mess with in my opinion unless using something proven.
ughh finally, exactly the answer I was after, thankyou

Guess I wont be touching it then.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Wait, didn't you guys realise that there's already a button that does this? I use it regularly.

It this sort of rectangular one on the right side of the drivers footwell. You just stamp it with your foot and BOOM, MIVEC.