Missing plastic crown tappet collets cause of tapping noise?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Funugs
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Missing plastic crown tappet collets cause of tapping noise?

Post by Funugs »

Im doing the tappets and I noticed most of my rocker arms dont have the crown looking plastic collet thing that seems to hold the balljoint together, I unscrewed one tappet too far and the bottom half of the ball joint fell out (good thing I noticed). Anyways Im guessing this piece missing is a big contributor to the tapping noise as it just bounces around in the gap between the lifter and valve (im assuming). Is it worth it to replace these and where can I get them?

Also if you move the the camlobes to the point where it hits the roller on the nose of the lobe you can get to the lock nut with just a basic 3/8 10mm socket but its a bit of a hassle, i just figured it out because I didn't have much luck making a tappet tool that fit or didnt snap when i bent it.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Re: Missing plastic crown tappet collets cause of tapping no

Post by Rob Furniss »

Yes you should replace the missing ones, can get them from amayama, will look up the part number when I get home unless someone beats me to it.
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Rob Furniss wrote:Yes you should replace the missing ones, can get them from amayama, will look up the part number when I get home unless someone beats me to it.
Awesome thanks, should make my engine deadly silent right?
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You can't buy just the plastic bit, have to buy the whole screw.

Part number: MD212099

And no, it does not garauntee it will make them silent, you have to adjust them correctly to be silent.

Also, the plastic bits can deteriorate over time but if you dont pull the engine apart the chances of the metal bit falling off are low. So if the engine was noisy previously chances are it was not because of missing collets.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Could also be gunked up hydraulic tappets
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Vectose wrote:You can't buy just the plastic bit, have to buy the whole screw.

And no, it does not garauntee it will make them silent, you have to adjust them correctly to be silent.

Also, the plastic bits can deteriorate over time but if you dont pull the engine apart the chances of the metal bit falling off are low. So if the engine was noisy previously chances are it was not because of missing collets.
http://www.amayama.com/search?q=MD212099 im getting quoted $18... please tell me thats not for each screw?

And I kind of figured that if its not being held to the rocker arm by the plastic it will be constantly jumping around in between the gap ticking and tapping away?
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Rob Furniss wrote:Could also be gunked up hydraulic tappets
Ye I've already cleaned them out. It wasn't ticking too bad, but I just want to get the engine running silky smooth.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Funugs wrote:
Vectose wrote:You can't buy just the plastic bit, have to buy the whole screw.

http://www.amayama.com/search?q=MD212099 im getting quoted $18... please tell me thats not for each screw?

And I kind of figured that if its not being held to the rocker arm by the plastic it will be constantly jumping around in between the gap ticking and tapping away?
No the tappet head is still held on place by the rocker, the gap is what makes the noise. The nylon collars have nothing to do with the noise, they just stop the head falling off the screw.

Only the right adjustment/gap will stop the noise
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

That price is per bolt though isn't it?
So, X 24 to get the total?
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Yes, per bolt
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

When i did my first engine rebuild in 05 they were $25 a screw (lerl) not sure what they are now as ive lucked out with my current fto and they havnt needed replacing