Blowing white smoke, no oil getting to valve covers please HELP

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Blowing white smoke, no oil getting to valve covers plea

Post by spetz »

If you put a piece of paper on the exhaust during idle and it flaps around then you could have a bent or burnt valve.
Do a youtube search and see what it looks like.

Also why are you not doing a compression test? If your head gasket is gone then 2 adjacent cylinders will read low. If your valve is burnt/bent then one cylinder will read really low
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

If comp test answers your questions then you owe me a case of Carlton Dry.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

I think he owes everyone that tried to help
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

vipfto wrote:I think he owes everyone that tried to help
I always share! :D
I fix cars.
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

So after driving it a couple times the smoke has now completely stopped and the car seems perfectly fine and I don't seem to be loosing any coolant either. I will still get that compression test done sometime just in case, but for now I will enjoy my non leaky clean as fk engine bay FTO. Time to focus on some cosmetic mods for a while before I rip it apart again, probably for a manual conversion.

Thanks for all the "c**nts fkd" and "take it to a mechanic" suggestions :lol:
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Also I figured out why the thermostat open = no smoke. Turns out the radiator fan was strong enough to disperse the smoke when it turned on. If u stand behind your car when the fan comes on u can actually feel a breeze on your leg, so that was blowing the smoke apart and made it seem like it wasn't there.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

So you are saying that there was never any smoke coming out through the exhaust?

If so then you have been mis-informing us.

If you are getting smoke around the engine bay then it is probably burning off coatings from new parts and cleaning solution residue.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

What happened to the "no oil getting to valve covers" problem?
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

PHIL069 wrote:So you are saying that there was never any smoke coming out through the exhaust?

If you are getting smoke around the engine bay then it is probably burning off coatings from new parts and cleaning solution residue.
Na na na, it was only coming out of the exhaust, the fan at the front of the car blew hard enough that it reached the exhaust and dispersed the smoke that was coming out of it so it looked like the smoke was gone when it was still coming out, u just couldnt see it cus it was being blow apart by the fan. Then when the fan stopped the smoke appeared to "return".
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

spetz wrote:What happened to the "no oil getting to valve covers" problem?
Basically I was just being paranoid, as Dras suggested, let the car run longer cus it takes a while for the oil to get up their and he was right.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Funugs wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:So you are saying that there was never any smoke coming out through the exhaust?

Na na na, it was only coming out of the exhaust, the fan at the front of the car blew hard enough that it reached the exhaust and dispersed the smoke that was coming out of it so it looked like the smoke was gone when it was still coming out, u just couldnt see it cus it was being blow apart by the fan. Then when the fan stopped the smoke appeared to "return".
Well.. yeah.. especially when it's cold, cars will have white smoke coming from the exhaust on start up..
I fix cars.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

My head hurts. Old man is going to bed :|
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Daniel2019 wrote:
Funugs wrote:

Well.. yeah.. especially when it's cold, cars will have white smoke coming from the exhaust on start up..
Alright, you tell me, I took this video in the afternoon on a not too cold day. Does it seem like condensation?

http://i.imgur.com/hkhwWzQ.gifv