Roof rust repair!

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

destinationtoby
Broke it
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Roof rust repair!

Post by destinationtoby »

figured I'll start this in the help section. if I accomplish it & it ends up being of any use to others, then a mod can move it to the DIY section or something. I know there's a guide on it, but the detailed photos have disappeared and have left me abit confused.
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
destinationtoby
Broke it

Re: Roof rust repair!

Doesn't look like anything much, but rust is like an ice berg, Always bigger down below.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
destinationtoby
Broke it

Someone has already patched some previous rust holes .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
destinationtoby
Broke it

Shown here is where the glue was used & where the rust occurs.
There is also glue used on either side of the roof in the vertical seals that join the subframe to roof
In a previous guide, Dstocks explains a way of removing the glue (im guessing before any rust forms?) with a coat hanger or paint scraper.
However once it's left long enough the and the rust eats into the metal, the glue becomes solid & and can only be knocked off with a grinder.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by destinationtoby on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
destinationtoby
Broke it

I was wondering is those spots (front and back) are the only spots the Glue was used?

Because I can see a similar rusty colour in these seals on either side of the sunroof & near the front+back windscreens
I'm sure dwayne can confirm whether or not I'm just rust/glue paranoid or correct.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
destinationtoby
Broke it

At first I thought I'll just cut out the small rust holes and patch them up. But after looking at the previous dodgy jobs. It'll be quicker & easy to just weld in one big piece, cut to size.

I've cut the subframe off at either end for better access to the main roof. EDIT this is NOT what you are supposed to do.
You need to drill out the spot welds on either sides ( shown in the second last photo) and then the entire subframe will drop out, from there u just remove the loose rust, treat rusted areas, & paint .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Last edited by destinationtoby on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Temporarily painted the bare metal areas with a rust primer until the job is done.
It took me 3hours to get the back area to this point (ready for welding) which includes removing the sunroof, roof lining, taillight etc
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by destinationtoby on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Tomorrow after work I'll attack the front. I'm guessing it will be a similar outcome to the back bit, just abit of a narrower rectangle
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

OK, have replaced the missing pics now:

http://www.completefto.com.au/Default.aspx?aid=341

These might help...

cheers

DWayne
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

Thanks dwayne, a lot clearer now :lol: