99 FTO GX Park Lights don't work

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Col_Ford
jedwabna poszewka promocja

99 FTO GX Park Lights don't work

Post by Col_Ford »

Hi,
Just trying to get the parking lights working on my sons car for rego. We replaced the lamps
and checked the fuses but the lamps aren't getting any power. The switch seems to work as the dash lights up and the tail lights come on so I think it is something to do with the wiring.

Has anyone has this issue before that can point me in the right direction? I have had a look at the wiring diagram and it looks like the cable runs from the switch to a junction box and then to the lights.

Thanks
Col
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: 99 FTO GX Park Lights don't work

Post by dstocks »

Hi Col,

Welcome to the club. Im guessing, but I think the switch you are having trouble with may be foglights, not parkers. Park lights should be in the headlights if it is a GX. Facelift FTO's (which a GX is) will have round indicator, round foglights with an extra bulb in the headlight itself. There should be 3 globes in each headlight. I suspect you may be trying to get the foglights working. These aren't necessary for rego, but I guarantee the issue will be a buggered switch. They have a habit of burning out. If you have a look at the back of the switch, you'll probably find evidence of melting in the switch. If this is the case, youll need a new switch.

Hope this helps
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    mezje
    Mechanic

Post by mezje »

dstocks wrote:Hi Col,

Welcome to the club. Im guessing, but I think the switch you are having trouble with may be foglights, not parkers. Park lights should be in the headlights if it is a GX. Facelift FTO's (which a GX is) will have round indicator, round foglights with an extra bulb in the headlight itself. There should be 3 globes in each headlight. I suspect you may be trying to get the foglights working. These aren't necessary for rego, but I guarantee the issue will be a buggered switch. They have a habit of burning out. If you have a look at the back of the switch, you'll probably find evidence of melting in the switch. If this is the case, youll need a new switch.

Hope this helps
    Hijacking this, do you know the part number for the foglight switch and how important is it to chuck it in a relay if I replace it?
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

If you dont chuck in a relay, it will burn out. Just a matter of when. The switch just isnt capable to sustaining the current needed to run the foglights. Part number is MR148785
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Col_Ford

Post by Col_Ford »

The fog lights aren't connected so that's ok. The lamps look brand new so I don't think they were ever used. Just part of the light assembly I guess.

Thanks
      Col
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

So you have the parkers in the headlights right?
        Col_Ford

Post by Col_Ford »

I will have a look tonight. Are the lamps easy to get at or do I have to take out the light?
        rock_it
        Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

I have changed the parking globes on the facelift with the lights still in..

It is a tight fit, but achievable...
        I just had to add it ......
        sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
        I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
        Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
        :utbnb:
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

You should be able to get to them without taking out the light. To get the light out properly, you have to remove the front bar, so they wouldnt make you do that to change a globe.

So you do have 3 bulbs in each headlight right?. The reason I ask this is occasionally people change out the lights due to delaminatiion on the surface of the lens and the prefacelift lights only have 2 globes in them and are far more common. If they have gone and put prefacelift lights in, there wont be a bulb to plug the parker plug into.
          Col_Ford

Post by Col_Ford »

Just checked and there are only two lights in the headlights. High and low beam so maybe it is older than I thought.. It looks like the park/position lights are in the bumper. One bulb was black when I took it out so I guess they did work at some stage. I will see if I can meter out the cabling maybe there is a bad connection somewhere.

Thanks
          Col
          dstocks
          National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

OK, if you have a single oval combination light holding the indicator, foglight and parker (as pictured in the header above), you have a GR, not a GX (unless they have done a backwards conversion to prefacelift). This will mean the parkers are in the combo unit.
            mezje
            Mechanic

Post by mezje »

I would recommend decoding the VIN, I found all sorts of weird sh*t with my car, was a GX with a GPX engine and bootlid with a prefacelift bumper to boot!
            BorepYano
            Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

kiz wrote:
            silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
            There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
            Col_Ford

Post by Col_Ford »

I fixed the lights! The problem was that the head lights had been replaced with ones without park light holes and when they put the light assembly in they left the wiring for the park lights underneath. I just wired up the ones in the front bumper so all good now.

Thanks
            Col
            dstocks
            National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Yep, so that suggests that the whole front end of the car has been replaced at some point with prefacelift parts.
              Col_Ford

Post by Col_Ford »

Yep seems that way..