Paddle shifter for the Tips, anyone interested?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Paddle shifter for the Tips, anyone interested?

Post by Rob Furniss »

I've been talking to Adam at Tuners Group in Sydney about these:
http://www.tunersgroup.com/Online_Store ... ersal.html

This outfit seem to have some nice products in general by the way and he talks a good talk, seems to know what he's on about.
My car has an airbag so not as straight forward but i'm thinking about seeing if there's a workaround as there is an option for the 350z to keep the factory airbag wheel.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Re: Paddle shifter for the Tips, anyone interested?

Post by PHIL069 »

Taken from the Galant forum...
Shouldn't be too much different for the FTO
How to: Install Evo X paddle shifters or how can a automatic become cooler than manuals!

First of all, I take no responsibility for damaged caused by this modification. Quite a few things can go wrong when you think it through, but if you think before you drill or screw into something, it shouldn't be a big issue to install them:

What tools I've used:

•1x Evo X paddle shifter - can be bought for very cheap here
•3pin fan cable (plug)
•3x 2m long speaker cable or similar, I've used spare speaker cable I had lying around
•6x 2mm wire tap splice
•10x small cable ties
•10mm spanner
•10mm socket & ratchet
•17mm socket, extension & ratchet
•Torx bit (can't remember the size - you need this to undo your steering wheel)
•Flathead & Phillips-head screwdriver
•Hacksaw
•Cordless drill & 2mm drillbit
•2 screws (self tapping)
•File
•PATIENCE

OK here we go, first thing to do is disconnect the battery & have a cup of coffee or a stubbie. To be safe wait 10-15mins, then attack the steering wheel. Remove the 2 torx screws on either side (this is on a Momo), disconnect the airbag plug & take the airbag off. Undo the 17mm nut which holds your steering wheel in place, disconnect the horn & take off the steering wheel.

For the next few things you'll have to remove I've taken pictures & marked the bolts/screws with red arrows:
Ausbau1.jpg
Ausbau1.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Ausbau2.jpg
Ausbau2.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Ausbau3.jpg
Ausbau3.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Take off the whole centre console and underneath your tiptronic shifter you'll find this:
Einbau1.jpg
Einbau1.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Einbau2.jpg
Einbau2.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 645 times
White cable is gear up, yellow is gear down, red is +
Tap your 3 cables into the existing white, yellow & red cable, once you're done it should look like this:
Einbau3.jpg
Einbau3.jpg (97.17 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Important, remember which cable is which

Now get your 3pin fan cable & shave of the 2 little bumps on it as shown here:
Einbau4.jpg
Einbau4.jpg (7.1 KiB) Viewed 645 times
It'll will perfectly fit into the Evo X paddle shifter plug!

Now it's time to grab the awesome paddle shifter, take off around 1mm with your file from the inside & constantly test if slides over the steering column like this pic shows:
Einbau6.jpg
Einbau6.jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Get out the cordless drill with your 2mm drill bit and drill 2 small holes in the same direction as you can see in the picture above on either side. Take the 2 screws and attach the paddles to your steering column. At the end it should look like this:
Einbau5.jpg
Einbau5.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Now we've all the cabling done up to the steering column, the paddle shifter is in place... all you need to do now is hook'em up. This picture shows you which cable needs to be connected with the cables of your 3 pin fan cables
Einbau7.jpg
Einbau7.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 645 times
Now it's time to put everything back together, you'll realise that the bottom cover for your steering wheel column doesn't fit anymore, now it's hacksaw, drill & file time. I'm currently working on making up a new top & bottom cover that fits perfectly, the gap I have at the moment is only 1-2mm, but I don't like it.

Once this is done (this took me probably 50% of the whole install because you don't want to cut too much away!) put your steering wheel back in, but leave out the centre console for now. Connect the battery, start the engine, hit the brake, go in tiptronic, hold the brake and shift up into 2nd while you're still on the brakes. Try if UP & DOWN works, if it doesn't you might have done something wrong!
Play around with those 3 connections here until everything works the way it should
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Thanks for that Phil, loads of info that you found there.
I may have a go at that but I will have to have a good think about it as the EVO X paddle shifters are fixed position and the ones from Tunersgroup are fixed to the wheel - think I would prefer that. Then again do I really need/want to be changing gear while i'm turning the wheel - probably not!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Rob Furniss wrote:prefer that. Then again do I really need/want to be changing gear while i'm turning the wheel - probably not!
Better off doing a manual conversion... :troll:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.