Overheating (again)

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mezje
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Overheating (again)

Post by mezje »

So I was driving home to buy a single copic marker and what a journey it became...

I began to hear a boiling sound, temp gauge still sitting normal but I pull over. Yep, coolant reservoir is boiling and steam coming out of radiator cap. I let it cool and spray the front of the radiator with someones hose to cool it, manage to hop it to 24hr parking (f**king 2hr zones everywhere) and walk 15mins home.

The car overheated last month due to me being a f**king sped and putting 100% coolant in which clogged it up. Flushed everything and checked thermostat, everything was all good after. Then coolant randomly began disappearing with nothing on the ground, mechanic said it was radiator cap and replacing the cap fixed it.

Now the car has overheated yet again; coolant boiled, steam coming out of radiator cap, front upper hose real hot, radiator cap tower looks bone dry. What could it be?
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: Overheating (again)

Post by Daniel2019 »

Split hose or radiator or blown headgasket or not bled properly.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Daniel2019 wrote:Split hose or radiator or blown headgasket or not bled properly.
Yep, gonna check head gasket.

Oil looks clean though, no white smoke coming from exhaust so here is hoping that it ain't that.

Gonna flush it again and check the ground when I get back to the car for leaks given it will have sat there for a day or two...
Moused
Grease Monkey

Post by Moused »

mezje wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:Split hose or radiator or blown headgasket or not bled properly.

Oil looks clean though, no white smoke coming from exhaust so here is hoping that it ain't that.

Gonna flush it again and check the ground when I get back to the car for leaks given it will have sat there for a day or two...
You can also lift the overflow cap off enough to look inside (with the car running)...
If the hose is bubbling that can be a sign (usually early sign) of a bad head gasket, too
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Moused wrote:
mezje wrote:

You can also lift the overflow cap off enough to look inside (with the car running)...
If the hose is bubbling that can be a sign (usually early sign) of a bad head gasket, too
There was no bubbling when I checked while it was quite hot.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Could be water pump , radiator or thermostat.

I'm hanging more at blocked radiator. Most common cause and you get a boiling type noise when it overheats.
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

payaya wrote:Could be water pump , radiator or thermostat.

I'm hanging more at blocked radiator. Most common cause and you get a boiling type noise when it overheats.
When we flushed it HEAPS of water went through the radiator, no obvious blocking.

Burped it for a good 30 minutes til now bubbles and it is all good now...
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Blocked radiator doesn't stop you from flushing water through it! But it's enough to stop your car from cooling properly!!
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

payaya wrote:Blocked radiator doesn't stop you from flushing water through it! But it's enough to stop your car from cooling properly!!
I will see if it happens again, all good so far though!