Need opinions

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

den0va
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Need opinions

Post by den0va »

Hello! Been a while since I've posted on here...

Anyways, I'm just needing some opinions on whether I should or shouldn't fix the roof rust before I sell my car. Is it not worth it?
I'm going to add that I have no interest in doing the work myself, as I'm not that confident, or competent to do such work. I also don't
have the time, tools or patience. (And I'm also looking to move to Brisbane very soon so funds would be better spent elsewhere)

It's still currently registered (about 2 months left) and the rust is pretty bad. The roof is also orange peeling and the clear coat is
coming off in weird places... (Must be because I live close to the beach). It's very unappealing to look at, but other than that has
recently had a service and is mechanically sound. I asked the mechanic and he said the rust in the roof wouldn't pass roadworthy.

What to do? inb4 "part it out" :lol:
P.S I won't rule that out yet but I'm pretty far from most members so it doesn't seem logical.
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: Need opinions

Post by spetz »

How much would it cost to fix?
What would it sell for now?
How much would it sell for if fixed?
Taking into account that people generally overestimate the worth of their own car (I think especially in the case of the FTO).

Without knowing enough info, I would guess that you would not be able to sell the car for more and make up the cost of fixing it, however you might not be able to sell it at all without fixing it
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

Given all of what Spetz has said, take it to a dealer and/or wrecker and get an offer on it so you know what to not accept below. Maybe try to sell for 2.5x the amount their offer privately. My guess is they'll only offer $500 - $1000... so you can try to aim for ~2500.

How many km's has it done? If it's low km's...and a GPX you could probably get it quite comfortably and have someone else pay the cost of fixing the roof rust (and after fixing it, probably sell it for $4-5k). If it's a GR it's a bit harder to say as if you've fixed it, it will only sell for around $3k fixed anyway. It's pretty tough to say what the best call is, but I'd at least get some offers and quotes on the table before deciding.
Scorpionwally8
Grease Monkey

Post by Scorpionwally8 »

Just come to Tassie and sell they seem to sell here from $3500 and up
ImageImageImage