Weird Handbrake Tension?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Funugs
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Weird Handbrake Tension?

Post by Funugs »

My handbrake ever since I owned the car has been very weak. Most other hand brakes I feel are like, you pull up and its faily loose till you hit the spot where the brakes grab and the handbrake gets pretty tight and the wheels will lock up with pretty minimal effort. On this its like you pull up then you hit a elastic region where the harder you pull the harder it wants to push back and you have a heap of movement from the beginning of the resistance to the tightest point, which at the tightest point you can still drive away and the rears would rotate with a lot of resistance though. If you drive along and rip the handbrake up as hard as you can you just slow down a little, its almost not even noticeable.

I tried tightening the handbrake wire and loosening it from under the cup holder and all it did was move the resistance point up or down the handbrake, did not effect actual braking. I bled all the brakes and flushed the system with new fluid even though the handbrake is not hydraulic, just incase... idk. I took off my calipers and inspected them, they seem fine the pads have tonnes of material, I even roughed up the rotor and the pads with some sand paper to remove the glazing and that did nothing too. I feel like the little coil that the handbrake wire attaches to on the caliper is too strong/tight and its fighting back too hard when I use the handbrake .

Anyone else experienced this or got any ideas on what it could be? Doing a manual conversion in a couple weeks so I want it working properly as I wont have "Park" anymore and I've never rly got into the habit of leaving a car in gear (even though I should).
Bennoz
National President

Re: Weird Handbrake Tension?

Post by Bennoz »

Reckon your cable has stretched. Quite common.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Bennoz wrote:Reckon your cable has stretched. Quite common.
Yeah, probably because of this:
Funugs wrote:If you drive along and rip the handbrake up as hard as you can you just slow down a little, its almost not even noticeable.
LED ALL the things.
Funugs
Grease Monkey

Post by Funugs »

Bennoz wrote:Reckon your cable has stretched. Quite common.
Well I tried tightening it from the tensioner under the cup holder and that did nothing. Do you mean maybe one of them is stretched causing an imbalance or something?

Either way, how does one fix this?
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Cable could be siezed
Rear brake calipers could be siezed
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol: