Jess' FTO build / questions thread

A place for members to show off their pride & joys.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dstocks
National Vice President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Jess' FTO build / questions thread

Post by dstocks »

Ill have the boot liners. Looks like you need the front strut brace as well. Version R is supposed to have one.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Oh and should be able to get a decent radiator off ebay for not too much and do not buy the genuine timing belt as it is hideously expensive. Go for a Gates T987 (think thats right from memory). The same goes for gaskets I think. Are you sure all these things need doing and he isnt just trying to fleece you, because thats about everything. For example, head gasket will not need doing unless youve blown the existing one (milky oil or oil in radiator fluid). It has nothing to do with oil leaks.

And dont pay more than $100 for a 2nd hand starter motor.

And if you do have to buy genuine, buy direct from Japan and not from Mitsi Australia. Youll save 40% of the cost.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      DODO``
      Grease Monkey

Post by DODO`` »

dstocks wrote:Ill have the boot liners. Looks like you need the front strut brace as well. Version R is supposed to have one.
      Ordered front strut.. How much would you let the boot liners go for and where are you based?
      dstocks wrote:Oh and should be able to get a decent radiator off ebay for not too much and do not buy the genuine timing belt as it is hideously expensive. Go for a Gates T987 (think thats right from memory). The same goes for gaskets I think. Are you sure all these things need doing and he isnt just trying to fleece you, because thats about everything. For example, head gasket will not need doing unless youve blown the existing one (milky oil or oil in radiator fluid). It has nothing to do with oil leaks.

And dont pay more than $100 for a 2nd hand starter motor.

And if you do have to buy genuine, buy direct from Japan and not from Mitsi Australia. Youll save 40% of the cost.
      Thanks for the tip once again sir!
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Hmmm, There are 3 of them plus the floor mat, but I think you have that. Say $40 + postage for those 3. The issue will be the one that fits across the back though as its not material and will not fold. And due to the way its made, it doesnt roll well either. Im south coast NSW and work in Canberra. Happy to take suggestions. I think Lawso (one of the other club members will be coming down before the bonfire). May be able to send it back with him.
        DODO``
        Grease Monkey

Post by DODO`` »

dstocks wrote:Hmmm, There are 3 of them plus the floor mat, but I think you have that. Say $40 + postage for those 3. The issue will be the one that fits across the back though as its not material and will not fold. And due to the way its made, it doesnt roll well either. Im south coast NSW and work in Canberra. Happy to take suggestions. I think Lawso (one of the other club members will be coming down before the bonfire). May be able to send it back with him.
        Do u happen to have rear wheel arch black plastic undercover? And clock & batt meter surround?
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

The rear wheel arch is metal. There is a plastic bit at the back if that is what you mean. Should have a couple. I do have a couple of rubber upper consoles, but one is grey and the other is not perfect. Ill have a bit of a scout around but not sure on this front.
          DODO``
          Grease Monkey

Post by DODO`` »

dstocks wrote:The rear wheel arch is metal. There is a plastic bit at the back if that is what you mean. Should have a couple. I do have a couple of rubber upper consoles, but one is grey and the other is not perfect. Ill have a bit of a scout around but not sure on this front.
          yup the plastic bit in the rear wheel arch please..

dont worry if the rubber upper consoles aren't in good cond.

meeting up at bonfire could be an option or I can drive to Canberra :) Could use a long drive when the cars back on the road anyway.

whatever it maybe, set the boot lining and rear arch plastic aside for me please!
          Last edited by DODO`` on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
          DODO``
          Grease Monkey

First start.

Post by DODO`` »

Before I say anything.. check this out.

starter motor has been replace and started the car for the first time..

No oil change, no petrol change..

Mechanic reckons the cylinders rings will need reconditioning & head re-machined. another $1500.... 8O

Fellow FTO riders.. any thoughts please?
          To me it looks like white smoke which suggests condensed water build up in cylinder? ( I hope I hope)
          Last edited by DODO`` on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
          dstocks
          National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

At the very least, id say 2nd opinion. If it is stuffed, cheaper to replace engine rather than rebuild.
            DODO``
            Grease Monkey

Post by DODO`` »

It's in.
            I'm biting the bullet.
            4 grand all up.

-Cylinder head
            -VRS kit
            -timing kit
            -spark plug
            -fuel filter
            -starter motor
            -thermostat
            -belts
            -blue slip
            Plus labour+

This better be worth it!! 8O 8O 8O
            Last edited by DODO`` on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
            Vectose
            Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Better off just getting a second hand engine. And definitely get a second opinion before doing anything.
            Bennoz wrote:
            Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
            A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
            DODO``
            Grease Monkey

Post by DODO`` »

Vectose wrote:Better off just getting a second hand engine. And definitely get a second opinion before doing anything.
            Chucked a sickie today. Went around got 2nd & (2 1/2) opinions.

Whether its water or oil,, the head will need to come off. The smoke is blowing non stop.. :(

Needs compression test too I think..

& Yup getting another engine is an option but how wld u know its a good one?

Or DIY.
            Last edited by DODO`` on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
            Bennoz
            National President

Post by Bennoz »

That's the gamble. If it was me, I'd take my busted donk out & fix it. Question is, do you trust your local mechanic / engine builder.
            DODO``
            Grease Monkey

Post by DODO`` »

Bennoz wrote:That's the gamble. If it was me, I'd take my busted donk out & fix it. Question is, do you trust your local mechanic / engine builder.
            Ki....nda.... ill let you know how all this goes in about a week or 2 time!

I'm gona need to work harder in a meanwhile if I want to be able to pay him 8O
            bjk
            Totes

Post by bjk »

Forget keeping it stock, just 6A13 it now. :lol: