Rowans GPX Turbo Build

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Rowans GPX Turbo Build

Post by Rob Furniss »

Not much to update on at the moment but I thought i'd go for it anyway.
He's waiting on lots of little sh*tty parts arriving - AN fittings for the turbo, silicone hoses etc.

Turbo cover has arrived and is on.
He's wrapped most of the up pipe.
Most of the IC pipework is done.
Sump is tapped for the return and has a fitting in ready for the braided hose (waiting on).
BOV was a pita to fit due to the circlip and us having circlip pliers which were too small, on a sunday, after everywhere had shut.

Got a Walbro 255lph pump to fit when that arrives (got one for mine at the same time too) which i'm not looking forward to fitting based on the last one I did, hoping that was a one-off and this will be easier.
Still not convinced about his up pipe location, think it's way to close to the stepper motor and will melt it but we'll see. If that goes pear shaped might have to remove the stepper and make something up to blank it off.

Other than that all good :)
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

He went for the first start today - engine turned over a couple of times but wouldn't fire up, not hearing anything from the new fuel pump.
Then the battery died so it's on charge now.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

The joys of custom builds, eh? :lol:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Started just now, didn't need much of a charge.
Well it ran and didn't stall, he left the air filter off the turbo so we could see stuff moving, didn't spin up till about 3500 I think.
Boost gauge wasn't registering anything except negative / vac, not sure why yet unless his wastegate isn't plumbed in right or something.

Not ready for the first drive yet but it's progress.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

If it's anything like my legacy, it won't boost until under load, as there not enough exhaust gasses to create any boost
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Technikhaus wrote:If it's anything like my legacy, it won't boost until under load, as there not enough exhaust gasses to create any boost
Ah ok, so it's unlikely to boost just on the drive, that's fair enough.
I did warn him about the size of the turbo as it's pretty big, he's got a smaller one in the garage (but he won't want to go smaller) and he's got another on the way which is supposed to spool quicker (by precision turbos 6765), should be delivered today so he's got options.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Crappy cheap AN fitting for the turbo oil feed is pissing oil out all over from it's swivel not from where it's attached to the turbo or hose, think he's going to order a speedflow one to replace it (or whack a barb on and some normal hose, have found he braided stainless stuff to be a pain).
EDIT:looks like he just hadn't tightened it up.
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

If it's still taking time to get on boost maybe we will add a small supercharger to help get it spooled up quicker, possibly a little Eaton unit off a mini cooper...

Pain in the arse plumbing - yes
Hard to tune - maybe
Overkill - absolutely

Reason to do it then?
Cause we like things that make noise.

I think he should have some cams here from RPW in a few weeks too.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Did he really fork out for the cams from RPW? What did they set him back?
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Cams are on order yes, not sure of the price but about 2K isn't it? they are the turbo ones - the HKS 272 profile and I understand the benefit due to them overcoming the overlap issue where you lose boost down the exhaust valve if you don't fit them. (if it's true - which I have no reason to believe it's not)

I didn't run them before and got to about 250/260bhp at the fly (Tiptronic) on 7 pounds of boost but I was always down on boost compared to what my calculations were suggesting, Steve Johnson in the UK had the same issue too so we both ended up with getting smaller and smaller pulleys on the supercharger to compensate and therefore maybe over-running the chargers more than they needed.
On mine this time I will get some dyno runs in before and after cams to prove what the difference is but with the same pulley size, I would expect to see more HP and more boost which would prove the theory that boost gets dumped down the hole without the turbo cams.
I also want to then fit a Sprintex 210 supercharger as apart from one small change to the design of the intake it's a direct swap and more efficient.

Has there been some discussion on here about whether or not they are worth it? (missed it if there was)

For Rowan - he just wants cams no matter what - even if he loses power, he even said he really would like them to be lumpy, I said even if you lose driveability and power? he just wants the sound I think. (He used to have a Maloo R8)
Rowan is also going forged internals at some stage but I don't want to be involved in that, in fact I want my car back (his is on the drive getting this treatment and he's using mine for work meaning I can't work on my SC project except in Autocad or for short periods, that intake plenum has been on and off more than I care to tell)
Last edited by Rob Furniss on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Yeah about 2k. One other member has used them in an N/A application, but various other issues were at play so it wasn't quite conclusive how much outright benefit there was. He was happy with the performance though, 4 speed tip too. If they were less expensive more people might go for them, but at over 2 grand before even installing them, it's a bit steep.