BJK's 6A13TT FTO

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

slippercream
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: BJK's 6A13TT FTO

Post by slippercream »

6A12 in a golf cart? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ZetaO9Ax0

I'm sure that'd fly.

Funny you should mention removing a resonator, as I had a bit of an epiphany last weekend that my "exhaust leak" turned into quite the straight-pipe :)
Exhaust_2020-06-27_FTO Exhaust Leak 1.JPG
Exhaust_2020-06-27_FTO Exhaust Leak 1.JPG (220.85 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Indeed, sounded nasty. Idled loud enough to gurgle like a small, mild V8; and absolutely embarrassing when accelerating as it sounds like it's always going 3 times as fast as it really is. :lol:

Anyway, I had to get someone to just do a patch-up job until after the resto is complete. And now it sounds way too quiet. 8O
Exhaust_2020-06-27_FTO Exhaust Leak 3.JPG
Exhaust_2020-06-27_FTO Exhaust Leak 3.JPG (186.78 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
BTT -- honestly, I think the 6A12 isn't that bad, ... not at all. Perhaps the best way to make it even more potent is to ditch a whole bunch of weight!
Though, in true Mitsubishi fashion, the FTO is an instrument crafted to play one tune: Runs that have very few straightaways. It seems to love the short, winding courses.

I've got twisty roads where I live as well, and I really do feel like it can give an Evo a run for its money, so long as it's a twisty road that's max rated at 80kph speeds. I've given the local Miatas a run for their money on its full kerb weight and rusted out stock suspension :)

Then swapped out for the Evo, and it felt like child's play :D But, where's the fun in that?
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC
94 FTO COTY 4/AT FWD | 14 Evo X MR 6/DCT S-AWC | 15 Evo X FE 5/MT S-AWC

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

They do love the twisties (though two turbos help up the straightaways and hills too :lol:). Had a lovely run out again today, sun out, cool air, not too much traffic, good times. More little bits and pieces to bring together hopefully soon, delays inevitable with lockdowns interstate however, so mostly just same ol research and calculations. Thinking I'll likely end up with some Hankook RS4s for the new Superlaps; bit oversize section width for a "235" which will help fill out the 9.5" width, but also shortish diameter compared to some others. Much cheaper than the Yoko's too.

Only recently found out about roll centre on a Mac front strut too, and discovered that what I considered was a reasonably modest ride height I have currently to be beyond the ideal, technically speaking. Can't say I've noticed too many bad mannerisms on the street (though maybe the springrates on the coilovers help anyway?), but all else aside raising it will help with fender and driveway clearance, so more optimised suspension is a bonus.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Billy you are still active on the forum. Follow your build ig Car is looking nice.

Worked on mine today for the first time in a long time.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

adzski wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:15 pm Billy you are still active on the forum. Follow your build ig Car is looking nice.

Worked on mine today for the first time in a long time.
Hey! Cheers man. Gotta keep it alive so the Russians don't take it over :lol: and nice, should chuck up some recent pics in your thread
Image Image Image Image
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Haha yeah, seems a lot of the guys that were active from like 2012 to 2014 have dropped off.

Yeah i might, gonna do bit more work on it this weekend i think.

Hows your car? Seen ypu are running evo stockies now.
What are the specs?

Ive been considering a set of work meisters. Haven't seen anyone run em before on a fto.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Some of us are still here. :cheers:
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

And some new ones :rabbit:

Work Meisters, huh? I was a fan of the deep dishes once, too. I imagine they would look mighty fine on an FTO.

Speaking of Meisters... got these last week.

Coilovers_2020-07-20_Box at Receipt.JPG
Coilovers_2020-07-20_Box at Receipt.JPG (543.59 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
Buttt.... haven't had a chance to work on the car either. More like, waiting for some other parts to come in so I get motivated to work on a bunch of things at the same time *cough-cough Vectose*

:p
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

adzski wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:58 pm Haha yeah, seems a lot of the guys that were active from like 2012 to 2014 have dropped off.

What are the specs?

Ive been considering a set of work meisters. Haven't seen anyone run em before on a fto.
Everyone mostly floats about the FB group now, but I like the better record/presentation of the forum still.

Car's still holding up so far :lol: yeah on the stocks after I sold the Volks, usual Evo sizing 17x8 +38. I actually considered buying some new S1 3P's, but in the end I swung back to the monoblocks lyf. Maybe I'll do a set if I make another easy $3k sometime haha
Image Image Image Image
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

slippercream wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:15 am And some new ones :rabbit:

Work Meisters, huh? I was a fan of the deep dishes once, too. I imagine they would look mighty fine on an FTO.

Speaking of Meisters... got these last week.

Coilovers_2020-07-20_Box at Receipt.JPG

Buttt.... haven't had a chance to work on the car either. More like, waiting for some other parts to come in so I get motivated to work on a bunch of things at the same time *cough-cough Vectose*

:p
Are you based in the USA?
Noticed the Texas number plate.

Nice havent seen those coilover before, will be good once fitted.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Vectose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:45 am Some of us are still here. :cheers:
Vectose, glad to see you are still on the forums.
Hows your turbo 6a12?
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

bjk wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:47 pm
adzski wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:58 pm Haha yeah, seems a lot of the guys that were active from like 2012 to 2014 have dropped off.

What are the specs?

Everyone mostly floats about the FB group now, but I like the better record/presentation of the forum still.

Car's still holding up so far :lol: yeah on the stocks after I sold the Volks, usual Evo sizing 17x8 +38. I actually considered buying some new S1 3P's, but in the end I swung back to the monoblocks lyf. Maybe I'll do a set if I make another easy $3k sometime haha
Billy what offset would you recommend for something flush. Ive been considering something around 17x9 +25

What do you think?

I have fto stockies on it now and i think that are in the +40 range
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

adzski wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:35 pm Are you based in the USA?
Noticed the Texas number plate.

Nice havent seen those coilover before, will be good once fitted.
Yeah, man. Austin, TX.
Also, these are the same brand ones Richard Batty sported in his FTO.
Guys were super nice. Even offered a "sponsorship" price, since I'm the first one in a long time on an FTO. And apparently the first in the US?

Haven't opened the box yet. Maybe this weekend. Spring Dyno sheet in box. Requested that they tune it for road use. Probably to match the same rates as that of an Evo IV front/ III rear.

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

That's cool as, is that now cause they hit the 25 year rule?

a lot of our r34 skyline prices have been going up in preparation for that and s15's.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Yep, 25-year rule. I have noticed, too, that R34 prices have been going up, though I doubt it's specifically because of the US (it's not legal to import until 2024). It's probably that there's more interest in true drivers' cars worldwide thanks to the SUV boom.

We already have a lot of way-over 1000hp+ R35 GT-Rs here (Jotech and Cobb are both just 10 min away from me. Not to mention the Houston and Dallas powerhouses both just 3 hours away), so I suspect it's just really the purists who will want R34s. And it's those purists around the world who will want to spend money. Not like Mitsubishi fans who've historically been the more budget-conscious variety.

Good news for Mitsu fans - this price hike doesn't apply to Mitsubishis :)
So... good for me! Because my stable is 100% Mitsubishi. I've already set out my plan for the next few years, starting with my next milestone of 2022. (GPvR, Pajero Evo)
Maybe an EC GVR4 or Legnum - which are easier to find. Who knows.

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Those in the group have seen already but I'mma spam it here as well for posterity, and 'cause I like the pics that Stevo got.

For a looong time I have been meaning to get the FTO out on track to really explore its full potential (and my driver limitations), and I finally had few enough excuses about this that or the other needing attention that it actually happened. I had noticed that even after hard driving on the street that it would require a top up of coolant when I checked it next, and discovered after the second session that it was definitely pushing it out of the overflow tank. It was consistent enough that I did manage three sessions without it completely blowing its stack, however, which is still a fair effort. Ordered a genuine rad cap to see if that helps that problem, but I'm still looking into undertrays and ducting, and am becoming more convinced that the lack of them currently is doing me no favours on that front.

On track my thus-far seat-of-the-pants mods seem to stack up okay in terms of suspension etc. I think I have a clunk from one sway bar mount bolt coming loose, but otherwise nothing too untoward in the handling department. The RE003s impressed for wet grip, even if lift off oversteer caught me a couple times :lol: Other than that, good day out, despite the weather. Keen to get out when it's dry.

And some footage of the last session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zKbuORiA3k&t=0s

Oh and before I forget, new wheels finally arrived 8) Forged monoblock goodness. 18x9.5 +22 TE37 SuperLaps.