BJK's 6A13TT FTO

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: BJK's 6A13TT FTO

Post by bjk »

Bennoz wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:12 am Put 2 x 12s on it. Don't f**k around. Probably find the PWR one has the mounting points on it already, so you don't have to go punching things through the core.
Yeah, going to get these ones actually mounted properly this time around, also why having at least one shroud should be helpful. It already has 2 x 12", but apparently the Mishimotos aren't great (possibly just interwebz speculation but whatever). Only reason I considered the 11" is that it'll save me the cm of depth that the larger core will displace (63.5mm for the Mishi, 51mm for the Spal, so then I can fit at least a cm deep shroud. And hopefully, between the shroud making it more effective at low speeds, and purportedly the Spal being a better fan even if the rated CFM is slightly lower, should do a better job. The dark art of aero is still a mystery to me though, but that's just following what I've seen suggested so far lol.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Hows the car BJ?
Still having overheating issues?

Seen your pic on IG when you gonna mount the wheels?
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

adzski wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:45 pm Hows the car BJ?
Still having overheating issues?

Seen your pic on IG when you gonna mount the wheels?
Yes and no, haha. Seems to be more dependent on weather when pushing it. Still dunno what coolant is doing.

Probably a monthish on wheels. Mate's tyre guy will be back from holidays and I'll hopefully have the money for them :lol:
Image Image Image Image
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Mate's tyre guy couldn't match the Chinese :roll: :lol: but they were cheap anyway, so can't complain

Tyres on wheels

Wheels on car (well, one side, temporarily)

Noticed I'd worn the front left tyre on the Enkeis down to the bars, too much hucking them into corners through the hills, not enough looking at them in between lol. Shuffled them all around, will do until I can get the coilovers set up properly and another alignment.
Image Image Image Image
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

How many kms? seems like weirdly fast wear... Alignment ok?
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

mezje wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:55 pm How many kms? seems like weirdly fast wear... Alignment ok?
If I'd been paying attention it probably wouldn't appear so significant. Back right tyre looks almost new lol. But it's probably about right for the most part, have had them on for just over a year, and I've been going out for drives most weekends, which involves at least an hour of decent corners. Recentish alignment, but will be getting another soon regardless.
Image Image Image Image
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Enough things to warrant an update.

Spare manifold I picked up ($10! 8)) got vapour blasted. Looks clean by itself.

Looks even cleaner next to the current one :lol:

All to go with the Magna 6G74 throttle body. $45 (still) at u-pull-it.

Plan is to chuck it all on with Vectose coil on plug kit, and fuel rail loop. Run it on the dyno to check and see the difference.
And finally got this sucker in.

It's toooight. Glad I went with the slimmer 12" Spals. I asked him to mount them on brackets instead of thru the core. He remarked they seem to flow a lot better than the old Mishimotos (and that's despite being thinner, and they're quieter to boot), and combined with the thicker rad definitely seem to drop temps a lot faster.
Still dunno what's up with the overflow reservoir, but coolant temps themselves are good. Used to be 95-100c cruising at 100kph, now about 90c and barely budges. Haven't seen above maybe 95-97c giving it a good flog, so that's promising for track days. Still gonna bug that guy who's got Pho's old vented bonnet.

Oh and got the center resonator chopped out :lol: first impressions were not altogether positive, but I've been looking at J-pipes and Helmholtz resonators for a while (and talking recently with Paulie), and while having a sus under the car to see how much space there was, noticed the exhaust was now just resting on the heatshield. Swore at the v-bands for a bit, persuaded some metal with what I think is Tim's old lump hammer, and now the worst of the vibration in the cabin is gone. As somewhat expected, it's still loud pretty much from 2-3k RPM when under load. So I'm going to try and keep the nicer growl it has now, and tone down the rest.

Next, get the coilovers properly sorted and the Volks on :cyclopsani:

Image Image Image Image
d_dan
Grease Monkey

Post by d_dan »

Do you have much trouble with your front manifold heating up your hardpiping?
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

d_dan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:00 am Do you have much trouble with your front manifold heating up your hardpiping?
I'm sure it's not strictly ideal, but the turbo stuff is ceramic coated, and the most useful bit of the factory heat shielding is still there, and it's hot air in that pipe anyway.