Hitting the drags in Perth Wed 5th Sept

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Hitting the drags in Perth Wed 5th Sept

Post by Rob Furniss »

Weather permitting I'll be hitting the drags again in Perth on Wednesday 5th Sept and aiming to beat my last time which was 13.768.
I've made a couple of changes since then but nothing crazy, just RPW extractors, higher flowing sports cat and larger throttle body.

My Son Rowan may also be bringing his Turbo FTO, depends how ready he feels but if not he'll be there in a couple of weeks time i'm sure.
If he does turn up it will be Supercharged Auto vs Turbo Manual (with fully forged internals but a large laggy Turbo) so should be interesting.
I think he's at 1 bar at the moment but has more potential for the future, I'm at my limit - almost, there are a couple of small things still to do over the next month or so.
shiggz
Grease Monkey

Re: Hitting the drags in Perth Wed 5th Sept

Post by shiggz »

Ooh interesting! What time is it at?? Very tempting to bring my FTO and see how I go haha

Edit: Ah i see, 5:00pm, $60
Sututututuuuuu

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Yes come down Shiggz and give it a go, you'll need a helmet, long pants and sleeves and proper footware.
shiggz
Grease Monkey

Post by shiggz »

Really want to, but don't have the time hey. Super curious to see if I can make it into the 12's
Sututututuuuuu

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

My Son is coming along in his FTO but not racing, it isn't quite ready to hit the strip yet.
Your's is a 6A13TT isn't it?
What boost are you at?
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Didn't get a good result, was in the low 14's all night and the best I got was a 14.0
Not the best conditions - we got a rain shower so they had to stop and dry the track and the track temp was quite low around 15 degrees but i'm blaming the car and maybe driver.

I didn't do any data logging and didn't look at the boost gauge until my last run as I was busy driving (in a straight line I know, how hard is that) but i'd say that from my glimpses at the gauge I only saw 5 and 6 psi, decided to quit for the night after that.

So I now need to figure out why the boost was lower than it should be, on the way home on part throttle I saw 7psi so i'm thinking belt slip when i'm giving it full beans.
I had changed the belts the night before so maybe not tensioned enough (not making changes the night before again without a chance to verify that everything is ok).

Already heard of Carbinite Racing in the US that do a pulley coating so i'm going to give them a go. I've already done a re-design for a new double drive pulley that should in theory see me at around 10-11psi which I was going to go for anyway so I'll get that made and sent to them for their carbide coating. I'm expecting to go through belts a bit more often but so be it.
Before I go ahead does anyone here know of an Australian company doing the same thing?
http://carbiniteracing.com/pulley.html

If I still have issues after that then either the charger is on it's way out or I have a leak somewhere (or the auto tensioner is on the way out but it's not very old).

I got told that my boost level would show less on the gauge after fitting extractors and high flow cat due to better breathing as less build up in the plenum but surely not this much (seen 9psi before) and it's lower when full throttle than part throttle making me think belt slip??

EDIT: Just took the car out and a little blast from 2nd gear from around 30kph upwards and getting 7psi then 8psi which isn't too bad, still not the 9 that it should be.
Don't know why it wasn't making it on the drag strip, should have really kept my eye on it each run.

Anyway not leaving it there, need to get it to 10psi and consistently.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Still 14 flat is pretty good.

What did you do with your tyres? Drop the front pressure right down? Decent burnout?

Do you also have coilovers? I always got better results putting the rears on the hardest setting to stop bog down.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I dropped the front tyres to about 22psi and upped the rears to 40psi.
My burnouts were a bit crappy.
I'm on standard suspension, getting something that feels like wheel hop off the line, like a jumping from the front end.

I'll be fitting an auto box from a GPVR soon so hoping LSD will help.

Oh and I checked my belts again - one of them doesn't seem very tensioned so i've sorted it, that'l teach me to screw with things the day before running - I reckon it's stretched as I only fitted it the night before. Didn't have a 14mm socket on me.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I was going to get a pulley made here and ship it to Carbinite for them to add their rough carbide coating but now been in touch with this outfit: http://www.z-industries.com/griptec-micro/
I've seen CAPA Performance in WA selling GripTec pulleys, just not for my charger so I got in touch with the manufacturer Z-Industries and they are going to make a custom pulley for me with their GripTec process applied to it. I'm just finalising the design as i'm going slightly larger on the drive pulley than my current one so that I can over-drive the Supercharger a little more. (more boost hopefully)

Then i'm done, for real, no more changes.
Just suspension tweaks and LSD, it is still my daily after all.