* Event Results
* General Discussions

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Supplanter
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Targa Tasmania

Post by Supplanter »

Is it feasible to enter an FTO in this race? What steps would be required?
LED ALL the things.
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

Hi,

I am located in Tassie and investigated this a little.............

Best bet is to contact the Targa Tasmania organisers at www.targa.org.au, a bloke by the name of Stuart Benson should be able to help you and explain the modification limititations and desirable vehicle regulations of each class.

I hope you have deep pockets.....................:-)

If you decide to go ahead, let me know, I don't mind to helping out with some of the logistics from down here, plus can arrange some cheap accomodation etc etc.

Personally, I have a copy of the Targa pace notes and generally just pick any one of the stages for a weekend blast. :-P

Cheers

Chris
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

I was just asking out of general curiosity, my pockets aren't deep enough yet :roll:
LED ALL the things.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

first of all, i believe a CAMS L3 licence will be required to race in the event, and that's on top of the entry fee (which i heard costs an absolute fwuckload)...

oh and don't forget spare parts (tyres / oil /spare motor :P) and the car should also have a rollcage fitted as well (which is not cheap either)...

money aside, i think an FTO will compete very well amongst its class. 8)
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

you will need to sit observed CAMS testing...

best to try so local tarmac rallies / Motorkhana's before going for the big one...
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Yeah I have wanted to do targa for some time now, having finally got an FTO now as well I will probably look at it in 4 or 5 years time (got to enjoy it for a while first before turning it into a race car).

As steve said do some other tarmac rallies and stuff first, I think stuff think the dutton rallies don't even require a roll cage, the are mostly racing on race tracks and small safe autocross style tracks I think. This would be much cheaper too.

FOr targa it can me very expensive and there are almost no mod allowed for the modern cars, I don't think you'll even get away with an exhaust and pod filter. I think suspension, tyres and brakes would be about it. And of course allow at least 4 or 5000 or as much as 6 or 7000 for a good weld in cage, I mean this may be your life right? SO you want to protect it as best as possible. Also allow another 4 or 5000 for seats, harnesses (3" mandatory) and good helmets and racign suits, oh and another couple of grand for things like a tripmeter (Terratrip or like), tow hooks, power kill switches and fire extinguishes :? :cry:
ScottyTav
Apprentice

Post by ScottyTav »

I have been invited to work at the Targa this year setting up the race points and being involves with other areas of it too. The best part is I get to attend all of the dinners for the drivers as well because I know one of the organisers. I can't wait!