FTO GPX Camshaft Position and Crank Angle Sensor Replacements

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Scottehboy
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO GPX Camshaft Position and Crank Angle Sensor Replacements

Post by Scottehboy »

Hi all,

After pulling the codes from my 98 fto gpx, i found 2 faults being for the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Crank Angle Sensors.

I got my parts in and was inspecting the engine to see how to replace them, but it looks relatively complicated. I found some forum pages on these sensor replacements but I wanted to see if anyone could give me an idea of what needed to be removed in order to access and replace those sensors? Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
mezje
Mechanic

Re: FTO GPX Camshaft Position and Crank Angle Sensor Replacements

Post by mezje »

The workshop manual can be downloaded here: http://ftoaustralia.com/downloads/

Did a belt snap? Usually that will take them out.
Scottehboy

Post by Scottehboy »

Hi Mezje,

Thanks for the reply. No the belt didn't snap, after inspection it looks as though the sensors are quite dirty, as well as the surrounding areas so a good cleaning would likely fix this, but I've gone ahead and bought replacement sensors anyways.

Slowly tinkering on this, but now trying to get the Crankshaft bolt/crankshaft pulley off (so I can get the crank angle sensor off). but it looks like i'll need to make a special tool or will have to buy one.. any advice on this?
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

I got mine off with just a rattle gun and some prying from memory, didn't use a slide hammer or a puller off the top of my head.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Or you could do the dodge socket & lever bar against the ground at the front, flick the ignition jobby.

Gear puller for the pulley if you can't lever off.
Scottehboy

Post by Scottehboy »

Okay everyone I have another update on this fix. I've gotten the Crankshaft bolt/crankshaft pulley off after making a custom steel bar with 2 bolt that fit into the pulley, and then I used a breaker bar with myself and my brother at around 350 ftlbs to get the bolt loose. I bought a rattle gun which was apparently rated to 650 ftlbs but couldnt take it off.. After all that I got the final sensor replaced.

Next I went to go check for the engine light again and the 2 codes for the sensors was gone, but now the check engine light and the abs light (or maybe traction control?) are flashing alternatively. https://imgur.com/a/klmJkKz

When looking up online how to test for ABS codes (https://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14667) it tells me to remove the top right relay (ABS Valve relay (which is labeled with part # MB629084 for me) in the Fusebox/Relay box in the engine bay when looking from the from of the car. After that I should be able to scan the codes again, where as its supposed to either give me engine code 52 and one of the codes on the list, or if its still flashing when I remove the relay then the ABS valve relay itself needs replacing. So i tried removing this relay to test and the lights still flashed the same. However, when I removed the relay to the left of it (which is labeled with part # MB629085) and tested it the ABS light went off for about 3 seconds and the check engine light stayed on, and after the 3 seconds they both started to flash the same as before.

So i'm wondering if anyone can help me diagnose this further, or if anyone else thinks that one of those two fuses I pulled need replacing?

Help is much apprecaited!

Thanks,
Scott S
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Flashing means no codes just an fyi