1994 COTY - Austin, TX

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

adzski
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: 1994 COTY - Austin, TX

Post by adzski »

Jesus 48,000km is low. The car must feel immaculate practically brand new. I picked mine up at 120k and i think now its like 170k or so.

Yeah i agree, i prefer meatier tyres. I have a set of potenza re003 on my 14 and they have great.

Whats your list you need to work through?
What are peoples reaction when they see it in the US? Do they know what it is?
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Nah, starting to get some rust pitting here and there. But thanks, man. Mechanically it's still sound (waiting on some parts from Vectose to properly do a full mechanical maintenance regimen), but you could tell it's aged. Especially since it's sat quite a bit before getting here.

Got the car a while back (2018) and stored in the UK for a year before having it shipped here last year (wow... close to 1 year now) to pass grey market import rules. And I think it may not have been "stored" properly. Maybe in the wet. Maybe it was driven during the winter and not properly washed.

Fit and finish, it's 100% stock at the moment with the exception of an OEM HID headlight conversion. I've been most conflicted about modifying it considering it's a COTY, and have resolved to try to keep it mechanically 100% FTO and stock. Maybe. Still on the fence about this transmission :)

And let me tell ya - it's HARD not messing with it. That is, the intent to mess with it. In reality I've been so busy with work I haven't had the time anyway.
Plan is to get a second one in a year's time when it's legal to get a facelift model (hopefully a good example of a GPvR) to mess with. That, along with that other off-road homologated beast that came out in 1997 ;) ... whose production line unfortunately is getting shut down later this year.

As for plans - "big" stuff includes an engine overhaul and tune-up, recondition of the body, mostly cosmetic stuff.
Small stuff - the usual cosmetic items. Audio (HU, speakers), lighting, cameras on all corners. Maybe a cosmetic splitter in the front to keep the look as stock as possible. Debating whether there's a point to upgrading brakes for looks (because this will be a road car and not one for the track). And, oh - coils and some suspension bits. Nothing crazy. The only thing "mechanical" that I've installed so far are legacy, out-of-prod JIC strut bars in CF. Everything else is just sitting in the garage, collecting dust until I get off my ass and put on the greasemonkey suit.

As for reactions - quite frankly, very few notice what it is. Certainly quite a bit of confusion for those who have an eye for cars. I was tailing behind a clearly modified MkV Supra some weeks ago and I think even that driver was confused and thinking if it was an A80, or maybe a Celica. Dunno why he'd think that but. Some people think it's an Aston Martin or a Jag (believe it or not). Point is, if not for the diamonds and the Mitsu badge in the rear, most wouldn't know what on earth they're seeing. And that, for sure, causes a lot of double-takes. Because we all know the FTO's styling is just timeless and classic.

As for the biggest reason for head-scratching and ooh-ahh-ing: it's the RHD. I had a whole crew at a drive-through come out to oogle at the fact that the steering wheel was on the other side of normal for this part of the world. Even people who clearly don't give two sh*ts about cars whip out their cameras to take a picture of a car whose driver is on the right-hand side.

Funny thing: I have yet to get compliments from other Mitsu drivers around here. Because there just aren't a lot of em. And sadly, Austin TX is just not a driver's town. It's frustrating, considering we've got a huge Rallycross and F1 fanbase here, compared to the rest of the State. If I were in Houston (I so miss that f**king town) or Dallas - whole nother ball of wax.

So, I get this feeling that any admiration or 15 seconds of notice I get from people here are plainly just out of novelty. Because folks might think it's some odd exotic instead of a 90s forgotten JDM... nor a COTY nonetheless. I imagine it'd be a different take if I were in San Antonio or any of those other places, where people cherish the novelty and want to actually talk about it.

Oh the irony --- because I've got no plans to take this thing to shows, nor put on miles just to show it off. Haven't done that in years and don't intend to start again. I like my private little collection to stay that... private :)
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC
94 FTO COTY 4/AT FWD | 14 Evo X MR 6/DCT S-AWC | 15 Evo X FE 5/MT S-AWC

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

What transmission would you put on it?

Which car are you reffering to re the 1997 reference?
Is it one of those rally pajero?

Suppose if they are not a mitsu fan they wouldnt know about them, they are very neglected in the JDM scene even in Australia. They are far and few between, well in melbourne anyway.

I still think its super cool that these are now in US. I wish we could get the eclipse here, they seem like a decent platform considering the top models have a 4g63
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Appreciate the thoughts, man - glad these are Stateside, too.
Wish there were more out here. I think I may have been the first one to get it legally in the US? Dunno - wish I weren't the only one with the car in the relative vicinity though. Lonely planet here, population = 1 ? (Would love to know that there's at least another close by.)

On the transmission - that's just it, I can't mess with this one. If I do, then it loses its novelty. Or does it?
Thing that's hard to consider is, how important is it really to keep a vehicle as pristine as possible - if it won't appreciate in value?

You're absolutely right about certain cars being undervalued. For instance, you could say that the Starion was a pivotal model for Mitsubishi, in that it paved the way for the modern Mitsubishi to be in the WRC. It preceded both the Galant Group A/B and eventually the B and then of course N and R Evos. Yet, today, one can pick a pristine example of a Starion up for next to nothing, despite that it's almost 4 decades old! Sad, but the FTO is pretty much in the same category of "unknown" yet "beautiful" in every way.

But, pick any Evo, or a GTO/3000GT VR-4 - different story.

So - to keep a COTY in stock condition - is it really worth the time and effort to keep it stock?
Take that red one in my avy. You think the FTO has low miles... that red one only has 288km on the odo. Any zeroes are leading, not trailing. Window sticker still on ;)
But I know that one will appreciate in value. The FTO, not so much. :(

So, back to what I'd do.
I've already committed to at least working on Suspension with this one. But anything crazy, I'll probably just wait to get a second one to mess with.
My thing is, no matter what, taking a car apart to do a proper resto costs money. Incidentally, it's also a great opportunity to do a restomod.
That's why I've been so on the fence about it. If this were anything but a COTY, I'd already have pulled the trigger. Sooo... have to stick to my guns on that one.

As for Eclipses, yeah they were cool cars. Odd, FANTASTIC cars, as the 1st and 2nd Gen were basically CD/CE9A Evos with a US-made coupe shell for looks. Then they committed to the wrong thing and ditched the AWD in 2000 - which spelled the beginning of the end in my book.

I've got two still, last gen. And I swear, they're fantastic platforms, despite all the flak they get from reviewers. Extremely heavy (what late-model Mitsu isn't?), but solid. Absolutely no chassis flexion whatsoever - which makes them awesome. I'd take that over having to install a roll-cage. If it had an AWD option from the factory, I really think it'd be at par with the Evo at some level - and I know some 380s / Magnas / Veradas over in that part of the world could, if you had enough money. But alas, the famed shortsightedness of MMC. And now the only new Mitsu I'd buy is an old one. *sad*

Ahh, well - that's my other (older) world bleeding into the FTO world. I'll leave it there for now :)
Typing long responses - this is turning into a bad habit.
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Wow 288km is nothing. Basically a brand new car.
You are quietly building quite the collection of mitsubishis?

How do you store them all? Or do you have a nice factory to store them in?

Ive ran out of space at my house to store cars (4 is limit)
Considering doing a renovation so i can get more out the back as wouldnt mind one or two more cars.

If you get a chance take some snaps of the other cars in your fleet. Sounds like you have some interesting cars :)

Will be interesting to see what you do with the second FTO you purchase.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thanks, man. Truth, by even posting this stuff I'm breaking over 10 years of going silent. That was when I stopped posting on forums.
Too many people wanting to exercise their opinions on stuff that's not their business. But, we all know how the intarwebz works.

Yeah, I'm totally living in the past. As much as the wife prefers that I stop accumulating, she has her toys, and I have mine :)
I don't wrench as much these days as I used to, but every now and then I get the itch. Perhaps the most modified car in the shed has its innards torn down right now - driveline rework that I keep putting off. Then there's the cost of things.

Fact is, really, there's no rush. I realize now, with age, that given finite resources, you either work with what you have, or gather the collection of cars you'll want to work on later in life. Because at some point in time, I'll run out of distinct Mitsubishis I'll want to play with. It's not like the company really makes anything noteworthy these days anyway. :/

Good news is, the sweet spot has opened up for folks like myself in the US to begin importing the best Mitsus that we couldn't have. (can't import grey market cars legally until after 25 years.) For me, it started with the FTO. For some, it's the CD* Lancer.

I have some ideas of what I will want to do with a second FTO. It'll be similar to that of the AWD 4th Gen Eclipse. Only, it'll be about 1,000lbs lighter, and in a MUCH more nimble chassis :D

Stuff you guys are probably already all too familiar with.

slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thought I'd post this, so as to save the URL somewhere for posterity :)

https://www.facebook.com/soulspeed/post ... 3793393943

My 15 minutes of airtime for today. Also the first public post for the car anywhere, locally. Other than the random encounter with other rare birds on the road, I haven't taken the car out to any car events yet. So I guess this is an unofficial public "outing" that this COTY lives in F1 land, Texas.

They were modest to say they "installed camber arms". They did so much more adjustment and correction to get the suspension tuned a bit better, sans front swaybar replacement and front STB (long story - I need someone to fab stuff, just haven't gotten around to it yet). Truth is, it's a bit embarrassing that they had to "install camber arms" --- because I didn't have enough torque in me to free that bolt while lying on the ground :D

Maybe I'll do a writeup of the suspension mods sometime. Maybe when it's actually complete. Or start my own "my car" gloat-post.

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Any updates?
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Hey man. Yeah, slacked off a bit since. I received a wonderful care package from Vectose to give the engine a proper tune-up and replacement of certain questionable parts. But, haven't gotten around to doing it. Also, I had some small custom work done to it that's kinda gotten me a bit "put off".
So I put the car aside for now to cool off.

Since then, full bolt-on rear suspension has been replaced, save for the trailing arm. Coilovers, rear STB and ARB. Part of the custom work was a full replacement SS ARB bracket.

On the front, have a Lancer CE ARB that's been sitting in the Evo for about 3 weeks now. I keep forgetting I have it. Also, had a custom STB built - and that's the thing that's gotten me a bit frustrated. Let's just say, when people take liberties and there's no walking back on what's been done - it takes mental fortitude to not lose heart. Not that the finished product was bad - it could have been better. It's just not what I wanted. But, what's furthermore is that this is the COTY. If this had been any other example, I wouldn't have cared. And they left some cosmetic damage on top that told me some of the fab workers just weren't the type to care for "clean work". Nothing that the full re-do won't fix. But - some things are just irreversible. In this case, punching a brand new structural mounting hole on top of the firewall section where the body code is stamped.

That royally irked me. That's what ultimately got me down. And I had some words with the shop foreman. You just don't do that to a classic.

Anyway - will post some pics when I get a moment.

Final note. Hanging on to the idea of swapping out to an Evo VI front LCA and hub setup. I already have CN/CP Girodiscs and a Brembo setup is easy to source. But... that's for another time.

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Sorry to hear about the bad experience in getting the custom STB. That would have irritated me also, should have consulted with you first before doing something like that.

Good to hear you are meticulously going through the car, bringing the suspension back to life.

Keen to see some pics
Blue Spirit

Post by Blue Spirit »

Hi Slipper :)
I think I joined here about the time you got your COTY...
It's an interesting triangulation from here at FTOOC HQ, on to Texas and hang a 30-degree to here down under.
Hope it's all running sweet & stay safe. Cheers! Bob

blue-bob-santaPod9 copy 2.jpg
blue-bob-santaPod9 copy 2.jpg (104.5 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
BlueSpirit-masttowerX1.jpg
BlueSpirit-masttowerX1.jpg (139.61 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
BlueSpirit-boats6.jpg
BlueSpirit-boats6.jpg (88.35 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Hey Bob. Sorry, been a while, and as I'd mentioned - still a bit perturbed about how that STB turned up. So I've just left it.

Suffice it to say, there's more work once resto starts - and hopefully I can have something done to "undo" what's been done to the body stamp section of the firewall. Here's to hoping.

Anyway, because I promised, here's the monstrosity of a horrible STB design. It feels solid, but the design is just... laughable.
2021-01-12_Custom Front STB.JPG
2021-01-12_Custom Front STB.JPG (261.99 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Here's the rare, discontinued JIC STB - which you can't buy anymore - that he cut up.
2021-01-12_Custom Front STB_Pre.JPG
2021-01-12_Custom Front STB_Pre.JPG (302.32 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
I think I may have already shared this before. For reference, here's the matching one for the rear:
Suspension_2020-05-30_JIC STB_R_installed.JPG
Suspension_2020-05-30_JIC STB_R_installed.JPG (412.47 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Anyway, this will be fixed someway, somehow. Just, more money I have to eventually fork out.
Hope all's well with you all.

Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Man I would be fuming if someone did that to my car.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Yeah man. Like I said, I kinda lost a bit of gusto for working on the car atm. Kinda like "just leave the damn thing alone".

Good news is, I think I just bought myself another one :D
One that I might not be so concerned about keeping "pristine".

adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

The STB is def solid haha.

What made you want to go custom, given their is some aftermarket support?

Hows the car? Any new changes?
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

adzski wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:34 pm The STB is def solid haha.

What made you want to go custom, given their is some aftermarket support?

Hows the car? Any new changes?
No new changes. Been lazy tbh. The goal was to uprate suspension completely, but I've made the decision to just let it sit and once the other one gets in, I'll focus my efforts on that one. The rear's fully done - everything replaced. The front, I was going to convert to CP/CN9A LCAs, hubs. Parts are all in storage - Hubs, knuckles, new ball joints, LCAs, steering tie rod ends, bushings, CE Lancer swaybar (18mm), odd parts here and there. Even have Girodiscs for the IX Brembos that have been on the shelf since... oh, god, forever. They probably could use new seals. Everything really was going to be "temporary fitting" until full resto gets done.

Now, I dunno if I'll even go that route (the build-up, I mean, not resto). In hindsight, I really did not intend to build this up for any purpose other than to be a collector's item, you know? Plus, the "incident" really was cathartic. Brought back a lot of memories when building cars and swapping parts was a regular thing. With age comes less tolerance, I guess?

So, it'll be around this time next year that the other one gets here. That'll be what I work on.

---

Oh, and to answer why custom and not aftermarket? The STB started out as a rare aftermarket out-of-prod - one that I wanted preserved. You know, back in the 90s and early 2000s, JIC was one of those brands that, if you saw, you just went, "daaayum!" I just wanted it "enhanced", not bastardized - and that was the "gotcha", really. Now, on why multi-point vs. straight, it's because I saw the unused bolts on the firewall. We checked to see if it mounted to anything structural (and it did) - and thought, why not?

Also had a front striker plate and rear solid swaybar mount made as well. It wasn't really much, if one considers what others typically pay for aftermarket stuff. At least I knew the build materials were solid (either 304SS or T6/6061AL and grade 8 hardware). It was really just the "gotcha" with the swaybar that got me all upset.
Suspension_2021-02-18_Rear SB Custom Bracket 2.JPG
Suspension_2021-02-18_Rear SB Custom Bracket 2.JPG (229.74 KiB) Viewed 1635 times

d_dan
Grease Monkey

Post by d_dan »

Sorry pretty hefty posts where's the one with all the context about the front strut brace. I have so many questions