1994 COTY - Austin, TX

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

slippercream
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

1994 COTY - Austin, TX

Post by slippercream »

Hello, everyone.

As is customary for newbies, and out of respect, I just thought I'd introduce myself before trolling posts on here :)
Rite of passage and whatnot.

Purchased the car in 2018 from a nice gent in Northern UK, stored for about a year, and imported to the US after being legal last year - moss, mildew, rust and all (2019). It's surprisingly stock, at about less than 47,000km when I purchased it - having been driven (I believe) mostly by the elderly couple who had it for well over a decade, and drove it as an alternative leisure car through the English countryside. She's going to have to undergo restoration work first - starting with a date with a mallet to her underbelly (I'm not really in the habit of naming cars) to see what falls out. But, I'm seriously torn about succumbing to all the usual "go fast" temptations. Especially considering it's got a 4/AT :(

Anyway --

Immediately signed up to FTOOC UK, but been getting a lot of useful tidbits from FTO AU. I'm very thankful to you lot for providing such immense technical know-how to the general public. Looking forward to likewise contributing to the community over time!

I'm sure I'm not the first one to have an FTO Stateside. Most likely the first in Texas, but certainly not the first in North America. (Canada's grey market "classic" import regulations allow them to have cars at the 15 year mark, versus the US' 25.) But, once this beauty's ready for prime time at the local Cars and Coffee meets, I'll be sure to share snips and experiences. For now, it'll have to suffice that I get a lot of double-takes and "WTF, where's the driver?" comments from people.

So, blah-blahbery aside, here she is. In all her paint-flaking glory... (attached)
Attachments
COTY and EVO MR.jpg
COTY and EVO MR.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
COTY and FE.jpg
COTY and FE.jpg (78.14 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
FTO fresh off the Boat.jpg
FTO fresh off the Boat.jpg (113.66 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC
94 FTO COTY 4/AT FWD | 14 Evo X MR 6/DCT S-AWC | 15 Evo X FE 5/MT S-AWC

supern0va
Apprentice

Re: 1994 COTY - Austin, TX

Post by supern0va »

Hey there slipper, welcome to the forum. A wealth of knowledge on here, as well as other forums/facebook pages. it will be great to see the progress of yours :)

also, a automatic -> manual swap is not too hard if you have the mechanical ability. heaps of info around once you get to that point.
1998 GPX White Manual
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

WTTC. Would deeefinitely be looking at the underside of that if it's come from the UK :lol: but looks pretty tidy, and having a COTY is a nice touch even if it's not the rarer-than-hens-teeth 20 manuals of them.

From your browsing you've likely already seen the go-fast temptations around here, but beyond maintenance and a nice exhaust these cars don't need a lot to be fun, even if they are slow and the auto doesn't help lol.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thanks guys - appreciate the welcome.

I will attest that these do handle quite well - dare I say, even compared to an AWD Evo! Apples to oranges, aside from the stock suspension and ratty tires this thing came with, I could tell that it didn't have the typical understeer that you'd get with a FF platform. I don't want to bore you lot with bolt-on plans as I'm sure I'll be preaching to the choir. For now the goal should be a proper resto, to ensure that I remove all trace of rust and any rot (which upon visual inspection looks very minimal, considering).

I will want to keep this as stock-looking as possible - no crazy "Pimp My Ride" antics. The goal (if I ever get to doing a proper build) is to keep the vehicle as generationally accurate - at least from a visual standpoint. But, beyond what one would see when they open the engine bay... underchassis and suspension. Handling --- that's my what tickles my pickle, personally. :)

Which, from what I can already tell makes this platform truly great.
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC

Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Welcome. Pretty sure you contacted me on eBay about parts (timing kit). Parts are a fair bit cheaper directly from me as there are no eBay fees involved. If you need anything, let me know
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

No kidding - small world! Yes, I know I'll still need those parts for proper reconditioning - will reach out via PM. Been putting that off until I can schedule a time to do them. Thanks, Vectose.

slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

First major upgrade was of course wheels. Just so happens I had my old Evo X BBS' just sitting around in storage.
With some consultation with Vectose, who also has these on, I decided to send these off to get a fresh dose of powdercoat.

On stock KYBs and springs, I'm glad to say, no rubbing whatsoever !!!
Wheel_2020-06-05_OE Evo X BBS installed 1.JPG
Wheel_2020-06-05_OE Evo X BBS installed 1.JPG (95.87 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
Wheel_2020-06-05_OE Evo X BBS installed 2.JPG
Wheel_2020-06-05_OE Evo X BBS installed 2.JPG (70.21 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
Surprisingly, ride quality hasn't suffered with the kicks put in. Michelin Pilot Sport4S' all around, @ 245/35R18. Considering this is a bone-stock setup right now, I can say that this shows that the severely decreased sidewall on these tires don't create for a harsh ride. Then again, these are Michelins.

We'll see if that changes after the coilovers come in. Still, I'm not going to dump this. In fact, I think the factory height on the rear is perfect from a looks-perspective. Maybe drop the front 1/2 to 1 full inch at best. Function over form.

Also, put these in last week. RIP, JIC.
Suspension_2020-05-30_JIC Magic rear STB_CE9A Evo on FTO.JPG
Suspension_2020-05-30_JIC Magic rear STB_CE9A Evo on FTO.JPG (157.26 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
First mods. Car is definitely a looker. VERY happy considering all it took, was stock wheels just collecting dust, and tires that should always be the first mod on a new vehicle.

slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

By the way... for those interested. Stock weights.

OEM 16" wheel with some bad old tire, mounted: 35.8lbs.
BBS Evo X wheels: 20.8lb. (Not so great on the wheels, but not the worst, considering it's an OE wheel.)
BBS Evo X wheels with Pilot Sport 4S' mounted: 43lbs. (yikes!)

Ralliart lug nuts: 72g each. (That's 360g total per axle!)
JIC rear STB: 2lb
JIC front: TBD (need to get these to a fab to replace the strut top mount pieces since the Evo IV-VI bars are straight.)

The Ralliart lugs... these need to go. That extra weight these BBS' impose need to be shaved off somehow - regardless of how miniscule.
Maybe when I get around to converting brakes, I'll go with Ultralite rotors to compensate. Physics = +1. Me = 0. Bank account = -1.

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Looking good, nice that they aren't rubbing either. The gunmetal goes well with the yellow.

The BBS are at least only fractionally heavier than a Evo VIII Enkei, not bad for being an inch larger, and half wider.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thanks BJK. Yes, I'm extremely thrilled that they fill out those fenders perfectly (IMO). Completely stoked to have a set of OE wheels just sitting around, put to good use - and not just because it's less to store, but that this kind of perfect fitment hardly ever happens! :)

On the Evo that these came from, I put 265s that made the sidewall flush with the front fender. But on the rear, it that required a rather extended amount of fender rolling, and I still rub when I bottom out! The amount of "grip" and weight for the worry isn't worth it, IMO. Not doing that to the FTO.

Vectec said that I should expect some rubbing of the front tires. Based on some of the pics I took with my phone through the spokes, it looks like there indeed was only at best 1/2 inches of space between... everything... down there. This includes:
  • Front inside tire, front and rear corner, to inner splash guard
  • Front outside tire, front and rear corner, to splash guard front end
  • Front inside tire, top, to OEM MacPherson strut spring seat
We'll see if I'm still in the clear once the coils come in.

Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Nice, what powdercoat did you use on the wheels?
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Magic pixie dust. Dude I really wouldn't know! :lol:

I sent it off to the wheel repair guys around here, with my only specific instructions being "hypersilver, exactly like the factory color". I honestly don't know which brand nor colors they use.

What I could tell was that the first batch used a black base (could see it on the inside wheel). Was too dark. Gorgeous, perhaps, if the car were white. But, not on yellow, IMO. When they came back a second time, I could see that they used a gray base. Was closer to the factory finish, but still slightly darker than I expected. It does hide the brake dust a little better though.

I'll put the FTO and FE side by side to compare finishes next time I switch the cars out, though I'm sure photos won't be faithful to what they'd look like in person.

supern0va
Apprentice

Post by supern0va »

Very nice upgrades so far and good progress! I am a fan of the look of the wheels and the fact that you used them as they were lying around spare is totally fair enough. Although I dont think the looks vs performance upgrade is worth it as there is now more unpsrung weight in the car with no extra power to make the most of the tyres! nevertheless, its your build and I encourage you to do what you want lol :D

Request - Id like to see you make an intake for this car :D
1998 GPX White Manual
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Fair enough, supern0va - and I concur. I'm definitely tempted to do more to the car as it's (ironically) the new and shiny toy around here. Not to mention, this has been a childhood dream of mine since the OG GT1 - and we of course could never have it in the US... until just recently.

BUT, if I were to remain truly logical and exercise restraint, I should stop driving the car, and properly restore it. Being that it's a COTY with less than 48k on the odo (got it with about 46,500), I should try to retain its value as much as possible until I can get a vR Stateside in 2 years - that I can do as much as I want to, without diminishing the novelty of the COTY being a "rare bird" by putting unnecessary miles on it.

Then again, that's also the same time a Pajero Evo would be legal to import :D

supern0va
Apprentice

Post by supern0va »

To fully restore the car considering its rarity isnt something that initially came to my mind, now that you have mentioned it that seems like a good option. Especially if you are keen on getting a FTO Project vehicle in the near future. It seems as though JDM cars from the 80s/90s are shooting up in value and how things are going it will keep increasing, before long these cars will be relic's from a different era. You would gain a lot of knowledge restoring the car which can then be transferred into your next vehicle.
1998 GPX White Manual
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

You do realize we own Mitsubishis, right? LOL

Sadly, as much as I'd like to see the brand restored to its glory days, the only real Mitsubishi that really gets respect is the Evo. I betcha, if I parked the FTO next to a genuine article ITR / CTR, or even a JDM S15, people would go with what they recognize. It's something I'm all to familiar with, believe me. As many Mitsus as I've owned, no one cares what I have underneath my modified Eclipse. Except for that it's not a GT-R. Even though, if people only knew (if I wanted them to know, that is) it would probably bring that "oh sh*t" moment on everyone's faces, right out of the gate.

... Anyway, I just take satisfaction in knowing I have what I like. And, it might make you laugh, but there's a reason why I haven't really put much into even the MR that I drive the most. Because it's too easy.

I've done crazy, believe me. The FTO, as much as I'm tempted to make it as fast as possible --- been there, done that. I take satisfaction in knowing that I have something most people don't even know about. And there's value there.

I have to say this with the utmost respect for the community: The FTO is a beautiful and strong performer - but we have to respect what it's good at. The FTO is a great track car. Bit it doesn't mean that if you drop a snail under the hood of any car, that it will slay everything out on the open road. It's not a drag car. At least, not without having to spend a fortune converting it into what it isn't.

If I ever get another one to build up, it would be for track use. But mostly, to have fun.

Because I already have others that certainly already generate infinite smiles per gallon. :)

I'm just glad I finally have the forbidden fruit - that childhood dream car that no one knows about. (Just like most of my other cars.)
And that's fine by me.

slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Had a chance to move the cars around this weekend. Thought I'd share.
Cars were extremely dirty, but HDR works wonders to hide imperfections :)
Attachments
2020-06-20_Evos and FTO.jpg
2020-06-20_Evos and FTO.jpg (209.48 KiB) Viewed 3583 times

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

slippercream wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:42 am Had a chance to move the cars around this weekend. Thought I'd share.
Cars were extremely dirty, but HDR works wonders to hide imperfections :)
Very nice :thumleft:
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Car is looking mint bud 👌
Really like the wheels
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thank you, Sir! That's the name of the game - keep it clean. And hopefully get it closer to that mint state.
Hit 48000km about 2 months ago and it still freaks me out that I'm packing on a bunch of miles on it all of a sudden, just driving around town.

Wheels are actually from the silver X MR in my sig.
The BBS' are a looker, but perhaps a bit too heavy compared to stock that might contribute to the sluggish acceleration from a dig. It's ok, not like this one's being prepped for race or anything. Though, I do like that the thicker tire adds "weight" to the steering feel - especially on those turns. Michelins are a most competent road tire, and very quiet despite the sidewall being thinner. But you do still feel the road when you need to.

Unlike you I've been so lazy of late. So much to do to it --- but then, it's not like there's a rush either :)
To start - suspension, some electrical, and I did give in to buying some audio goodies.

These 90s paper cones have got to gooo!