Need Help.

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

evo-gsr
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Need Help.

Post by evo-gsr »

So...I've just swapped the shifter mechanism in my latest project and have a few wiring questions as it was all pulled apart when I got it and I trying to piece it together now...

First up is this plug with 2 wires just in front of the shifter....it has 1 pink and blue wire and the other is red...whats this for???

Secondly, these next group of wires are for the cigarette lighter and its illuminated ring, but grouped with that is another T5 globe and holder, which I have no idea where it goes? I thought it was illumination for the + and - in the shifter but can't find where it goes if at all, on the shifter??

Any help would be much appreciated before I put the shifter and surrounds back together.
supern0va
Apprentice

Re: Need Help.

Post by supern0va »

the pink and blue wire i believe go to the antenna, a black cable plugs into here which would run under the passenger carpet side up under the left rear seat plastic up towards the roof and is behind the small plastic trim there.

also the other globe goes into the cigarette ash holder (the first bit that you can just take out super easy) you will notice a small clear screen which provides light to go through, it goes into there.

i recently pulled my whole interior apart to remove the sound deadening which is why i know this lol
1998 GPX White Manual
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

Nah its not the aerial that's a different wire and plug all together.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Looking at wiring diagrams from the FSM, I'm going to take a stab and guess that one of the two T5 bulbs goes to the ashtray. (B23) Just like Supern0va said. Car's not here to physically verify.

Sadly, the wire color codes on this manual are crap so it's hard to confirm - but if that connector you're looking at is bundled in with your cig lighter, could it be that it's to a secondary 12v Cig outlet? What's not pictured below is B-26 says cig lighter as well. See if this white connector matches the cig male connector and do a quick volt/amp test to be sure. At best you have another free aux power source, without needing to tap into your steering harness!
FTO Shifter Wiring harness_evo-gsr_2020-07-14.JPG
FTO Shifter Wiring harness_evo-gsr_2020-07-14.JPG (259.77 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC
94 FTO COTY 4/AT FWD | 14 Evo X MR 6/DCT S-AWC | 15 Evo X FE 5/MT S-AWC

evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

The connector in first pic has nothing to do with cig lighter wires, only the 2nd t5 bulb as per my original post. The connector in first pic is in FRONT of the shifter.
Thanks anyway.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

It plugs into the ashtray.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

Ignore that. I would say it is the plug for the shifter light in autos.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

And i see you have an auto. Do you have a third larger globe other than the t5's? The larger globe plugs into the driver side of the shifter housing.
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

Yeah I've got that sorted already, its only what I've posted above that I need clarification on.
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

are the plus and minus symbols of the tiptronic supposed to be illuminated at all? As they do not light up from the t10 on drivers side and i can't see any light holes on passenger side or anywhere else?
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

Only the one on the drivers side.
To be honest i have never noticed if the + - light up. I still have the stock green globe in.
I would imagine if you did not unplug anything from that plug then it is nothing. I have a couple of plugs under the console that do nothing.
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

I didn't unplug any of them, I bought the car in pieces and Im trying to piece it back together, as stated in my original post!
Thanks for your help.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

Well you seem to have everything that normally goes in. May be the old cd stacker power supply.
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

supern0va wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 pm
also the other globe goes into the cigarette ash holder (the first bit that you can just take out super easy) you will notice a small clear screen which provides light to go through, it goes into there.

i recently pulled my whole interior apart to remove the sound deadening which is why i know this lol
You were close but not correct.
The extra bulb actually goes into the fixed housing of the ash tray, not the piece that pulls out easily. Ive attached a pic to show where it goes, it lies directly underneath the small clear screen which acts as the lens for the light. I missed this bit in the dark last night, but your post pointed me in the right direction.

getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

You were close but not correct.
The extra bulb actually goes into the fixed housing of the ash tray, not the piece that pulls out easily. Ive attached a pic to show where it goes, it lies directly underneath the small clear screen which acts as the lens for the light. I missed this bit in the dark last night, but your post pointed me in the right direction.

In all fairness, that part of the console is probably missing in a fair few consoles...like mine.
So many would probably be trying to jam that t5 into the back of the actual ashtray...like me.
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

If you " jam it into the back of the ashtray" when you put ashtray into the console it pushes it straight back out so it should be obvious that is not the right spot!!
The hole at the back of the console where the ashtray goes into is there to locate the little dick thing that's on the base of the ashtray, not the globe, as I tried that before I posted the topic.
Last edited by evo-gsr on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

Anyways, that's why I posted a pic of my findings, so others having this issue may also find the answer!
supern0va
Apprentice

Post by supern0va »

very good there is progress!
1998 GPX White Manual