6A13TT ... questions & opinions please?

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mouldypigeon
jedwabna poszewka promocja

6A13TT ... questions & opinions please?

Post by mouldypigeon »

Hi Everyone,

Now seriously considering a 6A13TT swap but I have a few questions for those in the know...

Are they any good on track? Does it upset the weight balance too much? Cooling issues?
What is the actual weight difference between a 6A13TT and 6A12?
How can I spot the difference between a 2.0 6A13 and the 2.5 6A13 on a bare engine? Can a 2.0 easily be passed off as a 2.5?

Sorry if these questions are a bit elementary, but would appreciate people's opinions especially regarding track use.
Bennoz
National President

Re: 6A13TT ... questions & opinions please?

Post by Bennoz »

mouldypigeon wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:35 amAre they any good on track? Does it upset the weight balance too much? Cooling issues?
Go fine on the track, If there was any weight upset, you can iron it out with adjustable suspernsion. The block comes out of the same mould as the other smaller variants of 6As. Just a bunch of extra peripherals that add the weight.

Yes, they get f**king hot on the track. Had to put in a bigger alloy rad, twin 12" thermos & cut speed holes in my bonnet.
bjk
Totes

Re: 6A13TT ... questions & opinions please?

Post by bjk »

Can't say I've noticed the weight difference much either (which, tbh, is probably an issue more of perception than physics lol). Dare say if you were really concerned about evening it out, relocating the battery and an FRP hood would do 90% of the work. Can't tell you much more than Bennoz re: track work since I've only been out once and it was wet, but it felt fine, and there have been and are still a few people tracking these cars in various configurations.

Cooling factor is definitely a bit of a pain :lol: I don't think it helps that most of the ducting and undertrays have been ripped off these cars over the years either (or aren't suitable for squeezing an intercooler in front of). My standard size rad "coped" with doing three moderate sessions, and it fares well enough to keep temps below 100c on the street if I go out for an hour or so, but certainly room for improvement.