Newbie in any Vic with a 94 GPX

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

adge82
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Newbie in any Vic with a 94 GPX

Post by adge82 »

Hi guys, picked up a 94 GPX over the weekend.
It belonged to a mate of mine who started pulling it apart to vinyl wrap it. He never managed to get further than the bonnet and boot, and it hasnt run in something close to 10 years.

I got it for next to nothing, and grabbed a new battery. It cranks, no buzz from the fuel pump (it had a bit of fresh fuel put in it) and doesnt start.
Ill pull the fuel pump out and see how bad its all gummed up. Im expecting it to be reasonably bad.

Fingers crossed i can service it, tidy it up, and then club reg it.
I know it needs a few things already, and i will start building a list shortly.

I know forums are a bit dead these days, and FB groups are the go. Im already a member on the FB group.
Are the main guys still active here? Are people still able to get parts etc?

Thanks guys,
Adge
bjk
Totes

Re: Newbie in any Vic with a 94 GPX

Post by bjk »

WTTC, Good luck on the resurrection mate, better than it ending up another partout!

Things are a bit quiet here as you'll notice, but still kicking along. Dstocks still has a bit of a stash, and Vectose is keeping a bit of an inventory of service parts. Otherwise gumtree/wreckers are usually the go (or asking in the group), or yahoo Japan for sometimes the odd specific thing.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

WTTC Adge.
Im in vic also and looking to club reg next year.

Ive found aftermarket support for these pretty average compared to other platforms. Most consumables are easily sourced just depends what you are looking for.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Hi and welcome.

Before you remove the fuel pump make sure it is getting voltage
adge82

Post by adge82 »

Thanks guys, the tank was full of rust and water and all sorts of sh*t that didnt look real nice.
Ive cleaned it all out, replaced the fuel pump and filters, and bingo... She fires up.

Idles nice, engine sounds pretty good. Ill probably take it for a spin around the block this weekend to see how it feels, then dump all the fluids and get some fresh stuff in there.

I know i need tyres, brakes (ill do discs and pads), and strut tops. I expect ill find more once i drive it.
Fun times ahead i reckon.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Congrats, and GJ getting her fired up! For what it's worth, at least you have folks over there who can support you - and likely firsthand. Over here, I've got nada. And that's why I post here :)

Good news is, there are some interchangeable parts for things like suspension, accessories, and the odd items here and there. Engine though is definitely unique.

GL, and looking forward to hearing about your progress.
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC
94 FTO COTY 4/AT FWD | 14 Evo X MR 6/DCT S-AWC | 15 Evo X FE 5/MT S-AWC

supern0va
Apprentice

Post by supern0va »

good luck with the build mate :)
1998 GPX White Manual
adge82

Post by adge82 »

Bit of an update...

Ive been doing a little bit of bodywork just to tidy things up a bit, and ive still got a bit to go.
The engine is currently out and Rob has hooked me up with a bloody tonne of parts.
Ill start working on the engine this weekend if i get time. Timing belt, valve adjustment, pulleys, seals etc. Because i dont know the history, im just doing it all.
Its also getting new enigine mounts and suspension bushes. New shocks, brake discs/pads and lines, wheel bearings..

Ive spoken to Rob about a new alternator and clutch while its all out and easy to get to, so hopefully i can avoid having to pull the engine again any time soon.

Things are moving slowly, and at this rate, it will be the end of the year before it looks like getting on the road.
Im also going to go down the full respray route. I just dont know when the wallet will be happy enough to let me do it.

Motivation comes and goes in waves. Sometimes im itching bad to get stuck into it, other days i just cant be bothered and wonder why im pouring so much money into it.
Im learning a lot, thats for sure.
d_dan
Grease Monkey

Post by d_dan »

All for the experience and pride in a hobby my man
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

adge82 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:23 pm Bit of an update...

Ive been doing a little bit of bodywork just to tidy things up a bit, and ive still got a bit to go.
The engine is currently out and Rob has hooked me up with a bloody tonne of parts.
Ill start working on the engine this weekend if i get time. Timing belt, valve adjustment, pulleys, seals etc. Because i dont know the history, im just doing it all.
Its also getting new enigine mounts and suspension bushes. New shocks, brake discs/pads and lines, wheel bearings..

Ive spoken to Rob about a new alternator and clutch while its all out and easy to get to, so hopefully i can avoid having to pull the engine again any time soon.

Things are moving slowly, and at this rate, it will be the end of the year before it looks like getting on the road.
Im also going to go down the full respray route. I just dont know when the wallet will be happy enough to let me do it.

Motivation comes and goes in waves. Sometimes im itching bad to get stuck into it, other days i just cant be bothered and wonder why im pouring so much money into it.
Im learning a lot, thats for sure.
You can get the parts yourself through Amayama and use Megazip to find the part numbers. It's simple and easy to use. I'll post the links for you.
Might work out cheaper that way for you too.
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

Megazip......

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya- ... 3#year=all

Amayama......

https://www.amayama.com/en

Just look at the diagrams on Megazip then copy and paste the part number into Amayama and add to cart. Simples!