Need something, Put it in here.
Private Sales Only

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

slippercream
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

WTB: 20mm front swaybar

Post by slippercream »

Anyone have either a GPvR or aftermarket front anti-roll bar just lying around that you might need to get rid of?
Been having a tough time finding a replacement online. Replaced the rear with thicker ones, and now the car feels a bit off.

The balance of the car feels off with the 16mm OEM front swaybar retained, and an up-rated 23mm in the rear. I feel like the car still struggles on corners with the front outside wheel still bearing the brunt of hard cornering. Rear feels planted and ready on the rebound, but the front turn-in just feels sloppy. About to get the suspension tuned tomorrow so that might make the situation better, but generally speaking, I'd like to fix this the proper way.
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC
94 FTO COTY 4/AT FWD | 14 Evo X MR 6/DCT S-AWC | 15 Evo X FE 5/MT S-AWC

spetz
Oldtimer

Re: WTB: 20mm front swaybar

Post by spetz »

I have a Whiteline 18mm adjustable swaybar.
It prevents a huge amount of roll, however I never got the car handling well with it (20mm rear swaybar installed).

I'd sell it, but I don't think shipping to Texas would be realistic.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thanks, Spetz. Vectose was kind enough to make some inquiries for me about shipping a new set to the US a while back. He, too, found that it's a ridiculous cost to ship via the regular means (FedEx, UPS, etc.). Freight might be best, but it's not as easy to quote.

As for the 18mm, thanks for the offer. I'll think about it, and keep it in mind. CE Lancer ones, right? Considering the cost to ship, I'd prefer to find the exact diameter I'm looking for off the bat :/

Right now, I'm on a quest to find out whether an CN/CP9A Evo (4-6) swaybar will even fit. From pictures (yeah, I know), it looks like the only difference is that it's got a bend to clear the T-Case. Not knowing what the clearance looks like with the crossmember dislodged from the chassis, I have no idea if it's even viable. But those swaybars are a bit more common and readily available than 20mm GPvRs, or any custom ones from OZ/NZ.

Unfortunately for me, most of these things are all subject to international shipping...

If I were diligent enough to do a front tear-down in the near future, I might investigate whether it's even feasible to do a custom blade-type bar. Highly doubtful, due to all the bends required. But at this juncture, not too many options available. And I've checked in the UK as well - these things are so rare.
06 Eclipse GT 5/MT AWD | 09 Eclipse GT 6/MT FWD | 18 Eclipse Cross SEL CVT S-AWC

spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

The 18mm is the Whiteline FTO swaybar which links to the shock absorber and not the lower control arm.

From what I understand the Evo swaybars do fit, but they hook up to the lower control arm so you'll need to deal with that.

As mentioned though in my experience the 18mm front swaybar completely eliminates roll and as such causes understeer.

You say your rear is really well planted, if that is case then going harder front will not really help as all you will do is reduce front end grip.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thanks Spetz. It's completely subjective, as I haven't driven the car on a skid pad. But. I feel quite a bit more flexion in the front than in the rear. Great for countering understeer on a flat surface, but It also doesn't feel right having a more pliable front than rear, especially in cases where there's some banking or curvature on the turn. Like the car just really wants to lift a wheel.

16mm vs 23 in the rear. As it is, I'd rather have a tighter-feeling suspension setup than have the weight of the front freely bouncing and rebounding through the bumps.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc »

The Mirage front sway bar is 20mm iirc and as Spetz says the drop link mounts to the lower control arm instead of the suspension strut. the sway bar itself is the exact same shape other than the ends. If you get a custom set of links made might be easier than trying to source a sway bar over there in the states.

This style of drop link but probably longer and with bushes. this is for a Porsche 964 from this lot
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/ ... s-for-964/
they might make one long enough or point you in the right direction.

Fto sway bar on bottom and and Mirage swaybar on top.
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

Thanks @DaveMc !!!

Was just chatting with someone from FTOOC UK about this as well, and I had put this on the backburner. Started a request on Amayama just in case this can in fact still be found.

That's awesome - really appreciate this info. I might just see about finding one. This is a CE lancer, right? Or CJ to CM? Links won't be a problem at all, since I'm using generic, non-standard and adjustable ones anyway. Similar to the ones you have in the drawing, but instead with a heim/ball joint encased in polyurethane.

Thanks again...

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc »

From this model yeah. I pulled that swaybar out of a Mirage the hatchback version of this but I believe in the states the coupes were also referred to as mirages. they have a big front swaybar to (what i think) compensate for not coming with a rear sway bar.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc »

remember to get the D bush clamps also as they are also bigger
slippercream
Apprentice

Post by slippercream »

f**k yeah! Thanks, @DaveMc - that's frickin' great. Wish I were back in a place where pick-a-part yards were plentiful, and I can crawl underneath tons of these things.

But, yes - I will have a look into this. Thanks again - this is huge.

EDIT: Got one. Looks like it's from a DE (base model), and I verified ASA with a VIN, and it looks like perhaps it's an 18mm here in the States? Shop guy's gonna measure for sure once they pull the piece.
2021-01-06_Mirage Swaybar_ASACAPS.JPG
2021-01-06_Mirage Swaybar_ASACAPS.JPG (76.65 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
This is where it gets dicey. Finding which trim has a 20mm variant. For instance, cross-checking online DBs like Amayama's, Megazip's, and mitsubishi.epc-data.com (because I'm lazy and don't have other VINs) tells me that most 5th/6th gen Lancers and Mirages can have 18mm or 16mm ones. Ironically, the top-trim GSRs from JP have 16mm front stabilizer bars part number MR223855 as listed above. MR MIVECs (CK4A) have 16mm!

So, here are the various part numbers I've come up with
  • FTO all else 16mm - MR131542
  • Lancer / Mirage 16mm - MR223855
  • Lancer / Mirage 18mm - MR198869
  • FTO GPvR 20mm - MR333830
  • CP/CN Evo 23mm - MB856409
Really tells you how "special" the GPvR is. Silly - that rarity creates such value. Like how ammo costs so much in the US these days, thanks to politics. Never mind COVID.

In this case, I'm finding that the GPvR seems to be the only one I can find that has a 20mm sway bar. Everything else might be a Goldilocks story - too soft, or too hard. A Lancer with a 20mm sway bar is just as rare, it would seem.

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Pretty sure there's a mob down here, Signature or Selby Swaybars or something, that can make them any size to order