Need help on new engine ideas to swap in plzz

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Nikolachi
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Need help on new engine ideas to swap in plzz

Post by Nikolachi »

Hey guys,

Im in a bit of a situation haha, basically my engine is stuffed and i need something new in there, i drive a 1996 gpx, instead of rebuilding the engine, i want something more powerful so i came across a 6a12TT engine for $1800, and asked the shop for a quote to install it, (also potentially for an awd conversion they have the parts already) and waiting on the response.

However i was talking to a friend from work who has much more knowledge in cars than me, (sorry im very nooby and have barely any knowledge with doing work on it besides a standard service, so any work on it will be done at a shop), and he basically said to not do it as its gonna be impossible to work on it due to no space and not even going to improve much, and suggested a honda accord v6 3L engine as just boosting them and a tune can get crazy power more than id ever want and they are less than 1k, or even a 4g63 because it’ll be well besides the obv its an evo engine but also leaves more space in the bay to work.

Just wondering if you guys can give me advice on what the best option and or any other ideas you have. In the end id rather the most cost effective way, because my pockets arnt crazy deep and all this work will be done at a shop so thats gonna already stack up lots. :( but i also want to have something more and fun that what it’s currently like.

And also if you happen to know of anyone or anywhere that can do these in the Brisbane area that would be hugely appreciated :)

Thanks heaps guys anything will help
mezje
Mechanic

Re: Need help on new engine ideas to swap in plzz

Post by mezje »

If you're a noob all these ideas have a 100% chance of never happening
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

A) who's told you the engine is stuffed?
B) if you don't have deep pockets, don't engine or driveline swap anything
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Nikolachi

Post by Nikolachi »

bjk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 pm A) who's told you the engine is stuffed?
B) if you don't have deep pockets, don't engine or driveline swap anything
My uncle who used to build cars and was a mechanic back in the day, and one of their friends who has a shop that we take our cars to had a listen and said that im looking at a rebuild, basically on startup and idle its just got an insane knocking noise that sounds like its gonna blow any second and on each start up it gets louder. We did an engine flush because they thought maybe the oil lines were blocked and oil wasnt getting to the headers but that did nothing after the change so the only reason i was looking into a swap was because rather than spending a heap to rebuild it if thats the case why not spend a little more for something better because either way im gonna have to go into a shop.

I do have cash but like id rather keep that for a house instead of dumping lots on this so id rather keep it down where possible
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Probably best to just replace with the same engine if you want to save your money. Custom anything = $$$, and especially if you're not getting any kind of mates rates. I spent well over $15k on my 6A13 conversion, and haven't stopped throwing cash at it either :lol:

Not saying don't do it if you want to, but know what you're getting into. The cost of the engine itself is only a small part of the equation.