Tires rubbing on spring perch help

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Avionax
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Tires rubbing on spring perch help

Post by Avionax »

My original struts died and i put volvo s40 struts but now the spring perch rubs really bad on my tire. I am on 18 inch et35 8.5j rims with 225/40/18 tires, its basically undrivable. Is my only option other rims? I measured how it would sit with spacers but 15mm won't be enough but more than that would rub on the fender, not really a fan of really stretched tires on stock height either. I really need your advice guys, what do i do?
Thanks in advance!
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Tires rubbing on spring perch help

Post by adzski »

Depends on how far you want to go to make it work with the suspension.

Few options:
.Run the correct suspension for the car.
.Run a spacer and roll/pump your guards + camber
.Look at different wheel and tyre combos.

Suggest looking at wheels in 17 inch, will be easier to squeeze things in the wheel arch.

Pictures will help
Avionax

Post by Avionax »

adzski wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:38 pm Depends on how far you want to go to make it work with the suspension.

Few options:
.Run the correct suspension for the car.
.Run a spacer and roll/pump your guards + camber
.Look at different wheel and tyre combos.

Suggest looking at wheels in 17 inch, will be easier to squeeze things in the wheel arch.

Pictures will help
Only original struts i find are 20+ years old on ebay, not really a fan.

By the way i see it im going to need a 30mm spacer, which would be taking my tire outside the fender.

It's never easy with this car i swear :lol:

https://imgur.com/a/bmHjKi1

I don't know how well you can see it but i got like 3mm between the tire and the spring perch.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

What about coilovers? They are a lot more slimline but not as comfortable.

Can see from the picture the tyre is basically which up on the spring/cradle. Is this 3mm gap with no spacer or is a spacer fitted in the picture?
Avionax

Post by Avionax »

adzski wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:30 pm What about coilovers? They are a lot more slimline but not as comfortable.

Can see from the picture the tyre is basically which up on the spring/cradle. Is this 3mm gap with no spacer or is a spacer fitted in the picture?
I would've put coilovers already if i could find affordable ones, i don't put too many miles on it so i don't mind a stiff ride. I found some on ebay but they are all 700+ pounds and after rebuilding the engine and fixing most of the suspension the funds are kinda low right now :lol:

No spacer here, max size i could put would be 15mm, after that my tire will start to rub the fender but wouldn't fix my other problem. I saw people were running 225/40/18 with the volvo struts so i thought it wouldn't be a problem when i replaced them, i guessed wrong.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

Where is that video of Bennoz adjusting strut perches with a lump hammer lol.
Mate, if a 15mm spacer will not give it enough distance then you will be changing rims or struts. An Evo rim with 10mm spacers clears the Volvo struts.
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Did you grab the wrong series volvo strut or something? I'm not overly familiar with using Volvo strut but you mentioned others have done it and getonit is saying the same thing + evo rims will clear with 10mm spacer

I looked online and could see few different spec for Evo wheels.

Enkei Evo Wheel: 17x8 +35
Standard EVO Wheel: 17x8 +38, 18x8 +38, 18x8.5 +38

Your existing rims seem to be in the ballpark to the above specs. I'd try start mixing and matching wheels/tyre combos until you find something that works for you or slap the old suspension back in until you can figure something out.

Are you sure a 10mm or 15mm spacer won't clear? You said there was already 3mm of clearance without a spacer?
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

adzski wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:04 pm Did you grab the wrong series volvo strut or something? I'm not overly familiar with using Volvo strut but you mentioned others have done it
Volvo struts have a lower spring perch.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

A 225/35/18 tyre will bring you closer to the stock overall rolling diameter, giving you a better chance of clearing with a not so large spacer offset.
People often neglect keeping the correct rolling diameter when fitting larger rim/tyre combo's.
Attachments
Screenshot (17).png
Screenshot (17).png (292.22 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Avionax

Post by Avionax »

getonit wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:26 pm A 225/35/18 tyre will bring you closer to the stock overall rolling diameter, giving you a better chance of clearing with a not so large spacer offset.
People often neglect keeping the correct rolling diameter when fitting larger rim/tyre combo's.
I was thinking of putting 215/35/18 so the tire stretches a little more and therefore getting more space between the tire and spring perch, is it a good idea?
adzski wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:04 pm Did you grab the wrong series volvo strut or something? I'm not overly familiar with using Volvo strut but you mentioned others have done it and getonit is saying the same thing + evo rims will clear with 10mm spacer

I looked online and could see few different spec for Evo wheels.

Enkei Evo Wheel: 17x8 +35
Standard EVO Wheel: 17x8 +38, 18x8 +38, 18x8.5 +38

Your existing rims seem to be in the ballpark to the above specs. I'd try start mixing and matching wheels/tyre combos until you find something that works for you or slap the old suspension back in until you can figure something out.

Are you sure a 10mm or 15mm spacer won't clear? You said there was already 3mm of clearance without a spacer?
Yes i am sure, i got the part number from the parts thread in the forum. Old suspension is not a viable option because one of them is blown and the other is barely holding. Yeah its minimal clearence and im basically static in the front. I can see where the tire made a mark on the spring perch and i can surely say that a 15mm spacer won't help me.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

Stretching tyres is never a good idea.
If a 15mm spacer will not clear then you are going to have to consider the options.
Change rims. Evo Enkeis at 17x8 with a 225/40/17 and a 10mm spacer will clear those struts.
Source struts that have the same stock perch height.
Fit coil overs.
But honestly first, take a wheel off, put some shims behind the hub and wheel and thread a couple of wheel nuts on and check how much clearance is needed first. You may just find you do not need as much spacing as you think.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Common issue with the KYBs. Solution is to beat f**k out of the lower spring cup. Had to do it to dozens of them. You can get them to fit.
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Post by evo-gsr »

Sounds safe ^ 👌
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Zero issues.

Screenshot 2022-06-25 191254.png
Screenshot 2022-06-25 191254.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

And you should add it gets driven Fing hard and put away wet :twisted: :twisted:
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

🤣🤣🤣🤣