That damn tapping....

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Leedogs
jedwabna poszewka promocja

That damn tapping....

Post by Leedogs »

Had fuel mix problems last year, turned out to be dodgy spark plugs reccomended to me by one of the guys over at FTOOC. Huge amount of ticking noise from the engine at idle and low revs too at the time. Ticking got quieter after I dropped in a full set of new plastic shims as well as refurbished tappets themselves, but over the weekend it's suddenly gotten much louder once again.

No change in performance or feel but concerned that this is the same problem I was chasing last year. Any advice?

Tired of dealing with mechanics who are just stabbing in the dark with zero to no FTO experience.

I'm based in Sydney, anyone on the east coast know someone or willing to get their hands dirty?
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: That damn tapping....

Post by spetz »

I adjusted my own tappets.
If you are a DIY kind of person then you can certainly do it with a bit of effort.

If you haven't tinkered with cars before though, best you leave it for someone else.

There are write ups available on how to DIY this, and the tools required are just modified common tools (ground down 10mm long socket)
Leedogs

Re: That damn tapping....

Post by Leedogs »

Update on this

Car has been running fantastically for months. Gave it a bit over the weekend on the drive to/from Bathurst and the ticking has gotten significantly worse, feels like I'm down on power too. Getting a touch concerned this is a valve or a camshaft rather than tappets.