mileage counter black mark

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

raycindy
jedwabna poszewka promocja

mileage counter black mark

Post by raycindy »

crazy as it seems the same thing has happened twice.replaced instrument cluster previous posting and again a black mark is slowly starting to cover mileage lcd display NUMBERS..i am testing for water getting in cant think of anything else.ANYONE OUT THERE COME ACROSS THIS OR GOT ANY IDEAS.THANKS
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: mileage counter black mark

Post by spetz »

Do you mean the LCD screen is leaking?
As I believe that is what happens to them when they leak.
But I haven't seen it happen.
raycindy

Post by raycindy »

thanks for reply .i dont know if its leaking or not but it looks like it is as it flows from the top.if it is leaking something black but what is it and how.. il try and add a picture .can it be fixed or are they getting old or is it a fault causing it .the speedo kmph and everything works fine..but unable to decipher cause ..put this perfect speedo cluster in 6months ago and the black mark has resurfaced.once it spreads it covers the km/mileage counter reading and cant be read creating a unreadable counter.which means unable to have warrant of fitness in nz..you say you heard of it whereabouts did you.?thanks
raycindy

Post by raycindy »

other fto s must have this problem surely. doesnt look like water gets in but there is 2 large cut outs behind speedo cluster just below the 2 main plugs and im gonna try and block them with tape.could be something getting through there although everything looks clean..Just guessing what it is..looks like i cant clean counter its inside and will have to dismantle without instructions.first one we did and stuffed it. .if it is lcd ? liquid crystal or something is the liquid leaking.anybody know appreciate your help or im gonna have to get rid of fto .had for about 12 years now .goes like a rocket .
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Well LCD is a Liquid Crystal Display.
And I know that liquid inside them that is active can leak.
As mentioned I haven't seen it happen before though.
Do post a picture
raycindy

Post by raycindy »

thanks spetz heres some pictures.i did find something about a motorbike o
IMG_20230414_143909.jpg
IMG_20230414_143909.jpg (4.83 MiB) Viewed 726 times
IMG_20230414_143659.jpg
IMG_20230414_143659.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 726 times
IMG_20230414_143727.jpg
IMG_20230414_143727.jpg (4.72 MiB) Viewed 726 times
dometer black mark online that could be it but thats all
raycindy

Post by raycindy »

the first odometer/mileage counter the black mark started from left side this sercond one black mark has started from right side.has anybody had this problem and fixed it.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Unfortunate to get the same problem twice. Haven't seen it personally either. I guess you could try some sort of electronics repairer to see if they could do anything with it? Or perhaps just replace the screen itself. Probably your only option short of sourcing another cluster again.