Cranking but not starting after wiring loom swap

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Snftop
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Cranking but not starting after wiring loom swap

Post by Snftop »

Hello fellow FTO owners, this is my first post on the forum so if I'm breaking any rules or my lingo is off apologies.
Over the past ages I've been on an up and down road rebuilding an fto, one which initially got stolen (red) and then I pulled the motor from it and put it in another which is the one I'm currently trying to fix (white) (if anyone one facebook fto page you have probs seen it). Anyway I had it running well and the only problem with it was the tachometer didnt read anything, this was the case prior to the engine swap and after swapping it it wasnt resolved, hence i knew it wasnt IFS, anything to do with the transmission or the engine.
Hence I assumed that it was something to do with the wiring loom which where mangled to sh*t by the previous owners trying to install an amp. So before I had the red fto taken to scrap yard I pulled both the interior engine bay wiring loom which connected to the ECU, also worth noting the red fto was a factory auto and the white factory manual.
I have recently swapped out the interior wiring loom (ie the one that goes behind the dash and into the ecu and extends to just before the boot), and now the car won't start but just cranks. when re-installing the loom there where 3 plugs which I couldn't remember where they went, included in photos, but i believe to either be unnecessary accessories or something to do with the automatic transmission, these are all on the passenger footwell. Additionally there was other odd wiring jobs done by the previous owners such as a single wire running from an engine component (not sure what called but in photo) to the fuse box (also not sure which fuse cus i forogt to take photos).
IMG-8549.jpg
IMG-8549.jpg (974.91 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
IMG-8550.jpg
IMG-8550.jpg (912.48 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
IMG-8572.jpg
(3.4 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Is there any reason why using an auto wiring loom would prevent it from working, I'm assuming its a lack of fuel or spark, not sure as havent tested for either but can't see why it would be anything else, or is there a chance that the previous loom had some bootleg solution that allowed the car to work. Or does the fto have any parts that need to be connected to allow fuel to flow as some kind of safety immobilizer? Or do some of the fuze/relays need to be hooked up to certain locations (currently just screwed into frame just to place them there). Any ideas on what it could be or the unknown plugs would be really apricated. Thank you for reading
evo-gsr
Grease Monkey

Re: Cranking but not starting after wiring loom swap

Post by evo-gsr »

There is a sensor in engine bay of auto cars that tells the ecu that the car is in park so it can be started. Have you got that plugged in and is it in Park ?? That would be my guess