Changed the Timing Belt!

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

minh
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Changed the Timing Belt!

Post by minh »

Took the whole day. Wasnt too hard. Changed the spark plugs as well.
Took off the inletmanifold and changed the rocker cover gaskets. Damn mitsus and their leaking gaskets. Should all be good now. My cam seals looked fine behind the cam gears. No leak so I didnt change it. Didnt have time to take off and go order new ones. Make sure when you do your plugs you have your Spark plug tool that came with the car. Stupid mitsu once again using their custom stuff to make our life hell.

for any of you guys about to do the timing belt make sure your mechanic also has a "pulley" puller to suit the fto, its not a common pulley puller.
Its for the Harmonic balancer down at the bottom.Down load teh workshop manual from www.mivec.co.uk to get an idea how it should look like because nothing worse than your mechanic working on half a day to come and realise he doesnt have the puller to take off the pulley.

After that comes off its all good from there. With the spark plugs on the rear head you should use Platinum so you dont have to take the intake off as often to change it. I was too cheap and used normal NGK ones.

My car is sweet as now.
So I basically changed

Timing Belt
Spark Plugs
Rocker Cover Gaskets
( I also painted my Rocker covers and the intake to a really nice silver and my Mivec Cover in R34 GTR red.)

I used the "Gates" timing Belt which is made in the UK.
I bought it from Meikong Spares in CanleyVale. Their Number is
02 9724 0691 and I got it on trade price for $86 bucks or close to that so dont even bother calling autobahn or repco or one of those dear rip off joints. The part no. is T987
If you would like my mechanic to do it give him a call on 9755 5599. He is in lansvale. He works at my bros business. Ask for tony. The Shop place is called Prestige Motorsports. Just say Minh sent ya :D

Best of luck and I hope all goes smooth for anyone who is doing it like it went for me
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

did you change the tensioner?

im going to do mine soon, but i heard from a lot of people its not required?
minh
Grease Monkey

Post by minh »

Nah it was like new. Two things I will change are the pulleys down the bottom. But I can do that later as they are easy to get too. Teh pulleys are shaking just a bit.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

you mean the two pulleys outside the timing case?
minh
Grease Monkey

Post by minh »

Yep. and they get noisy and it almost sounds like noisy tappets but you use the screwdriver listening trick. plus we knew they had freeplay anyway. Time for new pulleys. Who is going to do yours?