Project Suggestions

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ruchi
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Project Suggestions

Post by ruchi »

The purpose of this thread is to raise ideas or concepts for the TWG to look at. If it is something which spawns enough interest the TWG will investigate the possibilities of working on it and will start a new topic devoted to that project.

Feel free to post any ideas or concepts you may have. :D
MIVEC is My Friend :D
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

what about cleanning the tappets or adjusting them for gpx owners there was a thread previously on this, however this much interest but not the expertise to do it. Mainly because noisy tappets seems to be a problem with all v6 ftos
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Some suspension related info would be nice, such as dimensions of bushes, engine mounts etc.

Also, some more info on checking droplinks and other suspension components that may well be getting near their use-by date.
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

I'v been looking into electric water pumps. I know this has been previously discussed, but it would be great to ressurect this project.
paladin
Mechanic

Post by paladin »

i was thinking of a few things...

removable rear spoiler that bolts on and off with clips and has stoppers for when its out?

pop up or cover over lights

brake upgrade for thos with bigger rims? DIY to save $$

e-charger (J/K)

how about a diy for ecus for ppl with laptops etc?

door handel shaving?

BBQ in the back for cruses? (J/K)

targra conversion?

one i am in the middle of doing>>> install my old laptop (simuar can be obught for 500-800 $$) into the car glove box for the ultimate entertainment system, track ball mosue in the center console plug the audio into the sound system. imagin this, a 15 inch lcd screen with dvd/mp3/DivX/wi-fi for internet access (at home and neat int caffays) and transfering new movies and music in a hidable spot! - ill post up on how this goes latter

rear light conversion, lets face it it looks like a fat hampster with those lights! needs somthing more agressive, i was thinking of bleaching or removign the plastic with some custom cut stuff
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Brake upgrade is being looked at by Steve, but a rival offer would be nice :) . The UAS brake upgrade vs the TWG Upgrade. We can play one against the other, get cheaper prices....it'll be great!

But seriously,

Targa conversion would be great, but anyone willing to donate their car and big $$ to get cut up with no guarantee of success?

How about investigating supercharging as an alternative to turbo?
paladin
Mechanic

Post by paladin »

supeer charging hasnt gone well in the UK?

i will donate my car at risk if you guys can come up with a gooodddd and convicng plan of attack
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The discussion on using a laptop as part of an in car audio system has been split off and transfered to the ICE section. It will be more appropriate in that section, and you can view the thread here:

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=3392

An Update
So far both some good and some questionable ideas have come forth, but either way, keep them coming. I would however like to clarify a few points so people understand where the TWG is coming from:

The key to the TWG is information management. By co-ordinating and leveraging the knowledge we have within the club and through our partner workshops we will be able to make more modifications available, or either improve or reduce the cost of existing modifications. Naturally these projects need to have sufficient interest to make it economically viable to pursue them.

Although the goal is to take these ideas and concepts and make them more readily available to the wider FTO community, for this to happen it will require the active involvement of those who are raising these ideas and concepts in the first place. The TWG is not going to do these projects on behalf of others but rather we will work with you and the relevant partner workshops to get these things done if it is something that others also want. :wink:

This will obviously mean that there will be some inconvenience for those working on these projects, but at the same time they will also be able to tap into resources that they wouldn't have been able to by themselves, either speeding up the time it takes to do the work and/or decreasing the cost of it. :D

Once the projects are viable and duplicatable the path then opens to making these modifications more accessible to others.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

how about starting a thread listing the projects that are underway and then updating them every couple of weeks. And another thread that lists the completed projects and there cost and contact details.

also how about performance and styling mods

as an example members could list the differant type of brake upgrades that they have purchased, including what it cost them and which workshop did it, were you satisfied with the work and what was the cost are they available interstate.

The same could be done for spoilers, front bars, side skirts, paint work, custom trimming, throttle bodies, headers, CAI kits, and i think that is enough to get the idea :wink:

maybe you would need to have another folder for this,

Just a suggestion
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

paladin wrote:

brake upgrade for thos with bigger rims? DIY to save $$

Please dont take this the wrong way folks, but i am aqualified mechanic

And when it comes to Brake upgrades and fuel system upgrades, timing belt replacment. I strongly recomend you get a qualified mechanic to do it or at minimum assist you. I recently seen a guy who was confident he could do some work to his brake system, when he had finished he had twisted the metal brake lines and had brakes that worked just, but in an emergency braking situation he would have been in a lot of trouble. Also he didnt realise he had done it.

I also know there is other mechanicaly qualified people and engineers on these forums, and that i hope they will agree with this advice,

Another point is if some thing happened and an insurance investigator seen the dodgy work they would want to know who did and would probably pursue them for costs, and if someone should have an accident and end up killing someone. Well i am sure we are all aware of the possible consequences.

Please think twice before you attempt to change your brakes or fuel system as you could be risking someone elses life, should your car catch fire or your brakes fail.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

dannyboyau wrote:Please dont take this the wrong way folks, but i am aqualified mechanic
I hope you're in the TWG then!

A qualified mechanic on this forum will be invaluable.

Now I understand how you got your FTO as it is today!
From FTO to EVO......
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

As per the messages by Steve and myself in the thread about the creation of the TWG, we are currently seeking expressions of interest from people who are interested in being part of the group. It won't be until after the October committee meeting that the group will actually be formed. (see following link)

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=3335

Topics such as this one have been started so as to get the ball rolling so that when the group is formed there are already things in the pipeline. :wink:
DIGGIDY
Apprentice

Post by DIGGIDY »

Boris wrote:I'v been looking into electric water pumps. I know this has been previously discussed, but it would be great to ressurect this project.
I was looking into doing something like this.. Sourcing a pump is easy.. there are plenty of after market units out there that will do the job, the biggest issue is the pump, it runs off the cam belt so you would have to keep the pully connected in some way, bit of pain, perhaps a cover plate with the pully mounted on a bearing bolted to the cover plate in some way would do the trick...
mr_bishi
Grease Monkey

Post by mr_bishi »

Boris wrote:I'v been looking into electric water pumps. I know this has been previously discussed, but it would be great to ressurect this project.
I've fitted an electric power steering pump to mine......less effort for the engine and it's eliminated the breaking belts that a lot of uk ftos seem to have been experiencing. A very easy and fairly cheap mod.
DIGGIDY
Apprentice

Post by DIGGIDY »

How much did you pay for the MR2 pump??
mr_bishi
Grease Monkey

Post by mr_bishi »

£50 from http://www.partsgateway.co.uk I would think it was a lot easier to do than the water pump would be......that sounds a little tricky,and maybe expensive getting plates machined and things...
DIGGIDY
Apprentice

Post by DIGGIDY »

you could adapt the exsiting water pump unit possibly... its on my list of thing to scrounge for development..
OC
Grease Monkey

Post by OC »

Hey guys, is anything happaning with this group anymore? :? I know ruchi isnt around anymore..so yea, has this group disbannded?