Anyone for a group 100K service?

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

indyfto
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Anyone for a group 100K service?

Post by indyfto »

Dan (Dr Jones) and I are gearing up for our 100K major service so I thought some others may also be in need of a new timing belt etc...so that we may be able to negotiate a good discount if we all got the work required done at the same place together.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

As you know I am in, and the sooner the better I am getting quite paranoid as I edge close to 100 000k's. What do we need to get started.
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

Hey,

Are you guys going to take them to Rik and Joe's or somewhere else?

After what I have discovered the last week, I would be very careful with Rik and Joe's.

The work they did for me was fine and they are good to deal with, if a bit slow, but they failed to pick a few extra things..........and I'll leave it at that.

If your interested, there is a guy who sells Denso Iridium plugs quite cheap on ebay. :-)

Cheers

Chris
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Chris would love to hear more I sent you a private message.
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Hey Chris!

Hope all is well down your way...

I'd be interested to find out the Joe & Riks business too but Dan will be able to fill me in I'm sure :D They were (still are?) at the top of my brief list of workshops to do the service but only really because they have a fair whack of FTO bits handy if you need something. ie: middle of the service mechanic "X" finds they need an FTO specific part that is difficult to get so you have to leave your car with them for ages until the part turns up. I wouldn't expect that if I left it with Joe & Riks. Your comment has me a tad concerned though, as I am intending to drive to Sydney and back after the service so the last thing I need is a problem half way there - or back!

As for the plugs I have changed mine already while trying to ascertain my Mivec issue a few months back.
Craigh
Apprentice

Post by Craigh »

because I'm lazy, you lads got a list of things that *need* to be done for a 100k? I am currently sitting on 88K and expect to hit 100 maybe jun/julyish next year (I've put ~6K on in 4 months).

Also, where is this Rik and Joe's place? Brisbane somewhere? I am in rocky, but there is really noone here to do a service, so I was going to give it a chop myself (well, I'll rope my dad into it aswell :) but if there is a place in Brisbane that is a pretty good price, I may consider driving it there for the service.

Craig
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

where is this Rik and Joe's place? Brisbane somewhere?
Actually it's down the Gold Coast at Southport. Probably a bit far to drive. :-)
you lads got a list of things that *need* to be done for a 100k?
You could always try a search of the forums...........this topic has been covered heaps before.

Off the top of my head:
Cambelt change
Tappet adjustment and clean up.
6 new spark plugs (the rears plugs are platinum)
New Air Filter
New Oil Filter
Oil Change
New Fuel Filter
Air Con re-gas
Gearbox Oil (and filter for auto)
Radiator flush and new cap (maybe a thermostat)
Probably need new Camshaft, Rocker Cover and Crank Seals to get rid of any oil leaks. The water pipes on the FTO are also quite old so they may need replacing as well.

All in all, somethiong not to be attempted by the in-experienced as you have to remove the entire intake to get to the rear bank of cams to change plugs etc.

Any experienced "thorough" mechanic should be able to do it. I had the experience of replacing a whole heap of seals and lash adjusters recently after my 100k service was already done and it cost an extra $1600.

I can send you a copy of the workshop manual and parts database (Win2k) which should help a great deal. Just shoot me a PM.

Cheers

Chris
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

This post is for Dan. :-P

Craigh, I think you may be interested in this particular post from one of your local FTO clan members. Well the Whitsunday's are relatively close to Rocky, just don't ask me to drive there from Brisbane in an FTO again.......

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=1725

And these give a general overview of the 100k service but pretty much repeat what I have said. (although I forgot about the airon/pwr steer and alternator belts)

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=3289

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=2360

Cheers

Chris
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

My car is up to 85k now, looking to get the major service done and out of the way. When were you guys looking at getting this done?
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Mine is now booked in to be done the week after next...couldn't wait any longer.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

u get a price from them? and how long is it meant to take mate?
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Price: No would rather not think about that. Just to change the timing belt they charge ~$450 all in. Supposed to take two days...but we shall see :wink:
Jase
Grease Monkey

Post by Jase »

There's a couple of other places on the coast. When i was having probs i rang a workshop who reckoned they had a little asian guy who is an FTO expert. Pretty sure it was Kimura Motors in Labrador. I had a switch on the auto replaced on mine, at Rik and Joe's their quality of work wasn't real flash. They took a bit of rubber of my tip surround. Little things like that bother me. I was thinking Mitsubishi in southport.
Mines got 97500k on it
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

I can't fault Joe and Riks personally. Completed my service on time and without incident. Replaced only items that required replacement. Had genuine timing belt fitted, engine oil (I supplied) and filter, auto trans oil and filter replaced for a total of $601. Much less than expected but really only because other stuff was ok such as: other ancillary belts, cambelt tensioner/pulley, air con system, radiator etc and the spark plugs were done approx 6 months ago. Washed car too and now running perfectly...
Jase
Grease Monkey

Post by Jase »

I got quoted $900 the other day by a guy at auto leaders who's done the last 4 services on my car. Belt, plugs, leads, timing belt seals, rocker cover gaskets and oil change etc. Had my brake fluid and other fluids/oils replaced at 80,000k.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Mine is in at Joe and Riks now, I'll keep everyone posted.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Well one word WOW, I must say it's a pleasure to get treated like a customer for once. Very happy with the service and the cost, car is going great now.
Jase
Grease Monkey

Post by Jase »

What did you have done? Also cost and how long?
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

They had the car Monday morning and I picked it up at sparrows on Thursday, car was ready Wednesday but I couldn't get down till Thursday. Had timing belt changed and valve clearances done, tip service, brake fluid, new seals to stop oil leak etc that's about it I think. Didn't get engine oil changed cause I just did it and didn't get sparkies either as I coudln't get the ones I wanted in time. Cost was $998 but came down to 900 even with FTO QLD discount.

Car is better than ever.