Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

onnzo
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Charging Voltage

Post by onnzo »

Hi guys,
I want to know if this is a common problem or just my car!

Whenever I start the car (from a cold start) the volt meter it will always sit on 12v. Once I step on the accellerator it goes up to the 14v range to indicate charging...

After the car is warmed up and I am idling it will usually stay at 14v but from a cold start it will always show 12v.

From a cold start, most of the time it will stall if i dont hold the revs via the pedel....

I'm thinking it is either the stepper motor or an electrical problem... any ideas? (stepper motor has been checked, cleaned and replaced a while back)

Is there anyone in melbourne willing to lend their stepper motor for me to try out?

Mike
minh
Grease Monkey

Post by minh »

Two different problems.

Your cold idle wont hold is more than likely a stepper motor. All Mitsubishi Stepper Motors are interchangeable.

Magna
Pajeros
evos
Vr4

All the same. Try to get late model black ones which are improved slightly.

The voltage problem is that your Alternator is getting on abit. You will find quite a few FTO with volt settings like yours. Dont worry if it isnt causing any issues. Then again could be your battery too. Get a auto electrician to test them both.

Also with your car running pull off the positive (red) terminal off the battery. If your car still runs fine then your alternator is working fine.
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Thanks for the info Minh...

I will try to find soneone else with a stepper that I could test it with.

Battery is new... replaced about 1 month ago and is fine.

The alternator seems to charge fine... it has been like this for years.. only at cold start does it have problems and I think it is more due to the fact that the idle drops too low as opposed to the alternator not charging.

I will try to find a stepper first then I might get the alternator rebuilt if that doesnt work... I was also thinknig it might be teh coolant temp sensor...

Any idea if alternators are interchangeable?

Thanks again,
Mike
minh
Grease Monkey

Post by minh »

Have you adjusted the idle? there is a screw next to the throttle that you can turn. Turn it up abit.so on cold you should be sitting on say 1300rpm.
On warm the Stepper should settle the idle nicely.

But I tell you something. I had the same problem the begining of the year. My idle on cold it would just stall. I had to hold the pedal too. I cleaned the Stepper motor with carbie cleaner but also cleaned the Throttle body and where the stepper motor goes too with carbie cleaner. Gave it a good soak and rinse until the point no more black stuff was coming out and it was only clean carbie cleaner dripping through. This fixed the cold idle problem.

With the Alternator more than likely it would be interchangeable. I am yet to confirm this. I will make a phone call to find out later
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Yeah i've adjusted the Base idle screw and also taken off the throttle body and stepper motor for a clean.

I didnt really clean it thoroughly though... I will take it off again when I do my front lifters again (next weekend hopefully) and give it a really good clean.

Tomorrow I am going to try a stepper from a lancer gsr to see if it fits/fixes the problem

Mike
minh
Grease Monkey

Post by minh »

GSR will fit. Have used one before. worked a treat.
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Cool - I had a spare from when I sold mine but dont know where it is anymore :(

I'm going to try it tonight - hopefully it fixes the problem!
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

There is also apart on the gpx throttle bodys that needs cleaning, i remember a thread o nthis a while ago. I dont have a gpx so i cant look for you.
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Thanks GAV but I have a GR anyway.

Mike
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

check the wiring going to your maf sensor then. the same happaned to mine hwen fitting a cold airt system, and forgot to plug the maf sensor in
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

It would throw an error code if it was the afm so I think it is most likely the stepper...

I didnt try the gsr one today as my engine was already warm (and it idles normally when warm) will have to try swapping it in te morning one day while the engine is still cold.
minh
Grease Monkey

Post by minh »

onnzo wrote:It would throw an error code if it was the afm so I think it is most likely the stepper...

I didnt try the gsr one today as my engine was already warm (and it idles normally when warm) will have to try swapping it in te morning one day while the engine is still cold.
Nah man the best thing to do is just change it over. So in the morning when you start atleast you know. Instead of fumbling around trying to put the stepper in.
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

True, I would like to do that but im borrowing teh stepper off my friends daily driver :) I don't think he will be happy driving around without a stepper motor :)