Turbo Kit

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Quickslvr
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbo Kit

Post by Quickslvr »

Is there a turbo kit for FTOs?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Short answer is no, theres no off the shelf turbo kit for FTO.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

yea...so u have to be like ppl such as mikey and spend the same amount of cash as u could have bought a fto to build the kit
Quickslvr
Apprentice

Post by Quickslvr »

I have actually blew my mivec engine and need to get a replacement. Since Ftos does not have a turbo kit, is there any turbo engine which will fit in rather than replacing another mivec engie?
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

You can refer to this thread here:
:arrow: http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... topic&t=77

:wink:
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

how did u blow your engine????
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

if u blew your engine instead of using extra money to turbo it
why not take it to a rpw dealer and see what mods they can do for u for the engine internals
u may end up with the fastest NA fto in aus :)
Quickslvr
Apprentice

Post by Quickslvr »

I went through a flood :(
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

fto617 wrote:if u blew your engine instead of using extra money to turbo it
why not take it to a rpw dealer and see what mods they can do for u for the engine internals
u may end up with the fastest NA fto in aus :)
I've ask RPW before, it would actually end up cost me about the same as getting a custom turbo kit. U might have the fastest N/A but still no much for a basic turbo setup.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
to4garret
Apprentice

Post by to4garret »

it wouldnt cost the earth to put a turbo on a FTO, spend money in the right places and wisely, research...

could be done for $4 - $4.5k at a guess
Horsepower is NOT proportional to the cross sectional area of your exhaust tip.<BR>[img]http://www.justwebmail.com/images/sig.jpg[/img]
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

4.5k....
isnt that too low?
i mean its a hell job coz its got mivec
if its gr i think it would be much easier
anywaz 4.5 k isnt enough i think... i mean buying the turbo + intercooler will set u back at least 3k already
and labour cost more than the parts
i would say about 10k for basic setup
to4garret
Apprentice

Post by to4garret »

3k!!!!!!! my Turbo and intercooler only cost $1100, shop around, new isnt always best

thats what i said
spend money in the right places and wisely, research...
Horsepower is NOT proportional to the cross sectional area of your exhaust tip.<BR>[img]http://www.justwebmail.com/images/sig.jpg[/img]
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

It dosen`t matter too much about the cost of the turbo and intercooler. The major cost is the custom making of the manifolds to the turbo and the wastegate. This is the major hassle factor of the job. Also factor in an after market ecu, relocating the battery, etc. Being an east west V6 and a small engine bay it is a lot of fun trying to plumb the whole job.
RPW`s kit still hasn`t had the bugs worked out but, if you can get them to make you a set of manifolds ( they must have a template for these ) then this could make it a lot cheaper.
The workshop that is still in the process of doing my turbo, would not have a bar of a cheap bolt on kit. I suggested that now they have done an FTO if they bulk manifacture a set of manifolds, add a GT28 turbo and intercooler kit and bring it in under 8k, they would have a heap of people interested in buying this. They would not have their name associated with such a kit. They stated there are too many things that can go wrong with bolt ons like this. ( eg RPW ).
The job is a huge one to do properly, mine has taken over two months and still no car. Mikes took over 4 months. Danny has been working for years on his.
Blackjet in Melb was promissing a bolt on kit, and may have his ready by Xmas, but will wait to see how the kit goes on others cars.
Best of luck
Jeff
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Jeff wrote:
Blackjet in Melb was promissing a bolt on kit, and may have his ready by Xmas, but will wait to see how the kit goes on others cars.
Hmmmm didn't Frank sold his car????
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

didnt blackjet gave up already?
he is selling his car remember !!!
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

to4garret wrote:it wouldnt cost the earth to put a turbo on a FTO, spend money in the right places and wisely, research...

could be done for $4 - $4.5k at a guess
It is idiots like you that have no idea what you are talking about that come up with idotic comments like this that mislead other people into thinking it is easy to turbo a FTO, there would be lucky to be 2 dozen turbo FTOs in the whole world, probably closer to a dozen. If it could be done for $4 - $4.5k i think there would be a few more.

I could put a turbo on for that price but no guarantee it would work
to4garret
Apprentice

Post by to4garret »

Danny, I do not take kindly too been called an idiot thank you, I a not trying to offend anyone, nor mislead, I am speaking from personal experience here.

I have done a very similar job with my car, V6 VR4 (see www link), I did it myself, with a lot of research and asking people questions. Yes it was turbo'd in the first place, which did make it easier for me. But the way in which I positioned the turbo and built the manifold is applicable to the FTO. The way I did it, is not the most *optimal* way for the turbo to sit, because the rear bank of cyl's has a longer distance to travel creating non-uniform exhaust pulses, but it does make the car sound similar to a six cyl Subaru :D . The ideal would have been to go over the gearbox as you have done, but doing it that way would have added considerably more expense, moving fuel lines, repositioning the throttle body, shielding electronics etc.

Granted the FTO is a different car/engine, but the principal remains. Low boost high compression, greedy e-manage and the standard ECU, the factory injectors should support 150kw at the wheels standard. Of course there maybe unforeseen problems, but I could not see that been from a mechanical side, the only unknown factor for me in the turbo conversion would be the ECU side of things, which I, or who ever would have to *research* more into.

Forgetting my car is not an FTO, but of the same engine family, here is a shopping list. These are prices I paid and are estimations because I do not have the actual prices in front of me at the moment.

$600 TDO5H BIG 16G
$300 EVO intercooler (I have a hybrid, but an EVO cooler would be better)
$800 Manifold and exhaust modifications
$800 for intake modification, piping, Samco, intake for the turbo etc.
$800 for piggy back computer. (e-manage supports ignition with optional expansion)

The greatest saving came from attempting this myself, labor is the killer of the budget. But for some one with a bit of mechanical knowledge it would be great too try. The feeling of success when it works is indescribable.

Of course, if you do it yourself there's no guarantee it will work, I had many sleepness nights wondering if this was going to work... and it did, very well I might add. There is no harm in trying something different, I just added another way/idea to the pot for people to take inspiration from.

Now I built this in NZ. I am sure the prices would not vary that much in regards to the fabrication of exhaust and intake. Instead of going to a specialized performance car shop, I went to a general engineer for the manifold, and a normal exhaust shop for the intercooler piping, it is amazing the difference in price you pay.

I am saying it can be done for that price, as you said, there's no guarantee it would work, the way I did it is not be for everyone, some people may prefer a drive in drive out kit, this is just another option/avenue, a little ingenuity goes a long way to saving a lot of money. Think outside the square.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

The reason why it costs so much to turbo an FTO is becuz hardly anyone has done it be4. It would cost around 7-8K if u ask a performance shop to do it.
If it was an off the shelf turbo kit i wouldnt imagine it costing much more than 5K with install.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Is it really that hard to turbo an fto? I havent had any "bugs" with mine at all totally reliable, no overheating issues,fuelling issues etc. Maybe just lucky? :lol:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

hey scracy,

have you turbocharged your FTO?

did you do it yourself?
How much did it cost?
Where?

:D
http://ftogpxfs.blogspot.com/