Speaker Balance / Fade

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Boris
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Speaker Balance / Fade

Post by Boris »

Guys, Let's begin with that I'm an I.C.E newbie...

ATM I got an Alpine head unit, Clarions 6.5" speakers at the front ( in the doors), and 6*9 in the back. My tweeter in the door is disconencted and so is the other little speaker near the vents at the front of the car...

There are two parts to my question.

1) When the tweeters and the other small speakers (near the vents) are conencted to the front speaker wires. It happens to be that the tweeter and little speaker are both heaps louder then the 6.5" speakers, and there fore distort quite heavily. ? :?

2) my current setup, i'm just running the four speakers 6*9 + 6.5" speakers at the front, my front 6.5" speakers are still not as loud as the 6*9 in the back. I have to move the fade on the head unit to like forward 6, to balance them both out. Is this normal?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but just want to know, and get better knowledge of the whole thing. :oops:
Last edited by Boris on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Sorry Boris, i'm kinda lost, what you mean by you had a split, but with no tweeter???
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

You can tell I know nothing about this stuff. :cry:

Ok, I made modifications, to my original post. So lets hope it makes more sense. I would of got better speakers then Clarion, but i just wanted something better then stock, when I have money I will invest in some decent speakers... :?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Do you have a crossover by anychance? & what type of 6.5" you running? what i mean is it a component speakers without tweeter, or 2way or 3way?

If you can't tell, take a pic of it & post it here.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Crossovers 8O :x :( :cry: :? :?:
I don't know. I don't even quite know what they are... i read about them, but i have no idea what they look like.

Well, okay. the back 6 by 9's are 3 way. The front 6.5" speakers are Clarions 2 ways...

Basic Head unit specifications:
50W x 4 (Max), • 18W x 4 (RMS) Power Amplifier
• Bass/Treble Center Frequency Control
• 3 4Volt PreOuts
Basic 6.5" Speaker Specs
• 16cm Metallised MIPP Cone Woofer
• 2.5cm Metallised PEI Balanced-Drive Tweeter
• 2-Way Mounting Tweeter (Surface, Flush)
• Power ful Strontium Magnet for Dynamic Bass Response
• In-Line -6dB/oct. Crossover Network
• 180W Music Peak Power
• GM & CHRYSLER Adaptor Included
• Frequency Response: 30~35.000 Hz
• Efficiency: 91 dB
Basic 6" by 9" specs
• 15 x 23cm Metallised MIPP Cone Woofer
• 6.6 cm Metallised PEI Cone Mid-range & 1.6cm Dome Tweeter
• Power ful Strontium Magnet for Dynamic Bass Response
• 250W Music Peak Power
• Frequency Response: 28~32.000 Hz
• Frequency Efficiency: 92 dB
Thanks Kevin.....

8O
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

ok my understanding is the reason why your tweeter would be louder then your 2ways is due to the fact the tweeter is design for High range & if you put your ear next to it, you will notice you won't get much mid range & should have no Low range at all.

While the 2ways spliting the sound from Low range to mid range, so it seem to be less sounds output compare to the tweeter.

The other reason i can think of is your wiring with your head unit or the equalizer setting with your head unit. I had the same problem when i had my new head unit, but the problem was fix after i installed a seperate equalizer.

One thing I know for sure that will improve your sound quality, change the 2way at the front to a split with crossover. Even with a cheap set of split, you will find a lot of different.

Anyway i'm not an expert on car audio like Mil & Brendan, so they would be the best person to respond to your question.

I hope that helps bro
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

FTO338 wrote: One thing I know for sure that will improve your sound quality, change the 2way at the front to a split with crossover. Even with a cheap set of split, you will find a lot of different.
Thanks buddy, that makes sense.

I was also wondering, what's the diff is between the split and the ones i have.... like i know the dif between 2 ways & 3 ways....

I was wondering if there is a decent website about these thigns, instead of being either basic stuff or very detailed forums.......
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

From what i have understood in yr specs yr running 2 way 6.5" speakers with NO TWEETERS? is that correct? if u are , generally 6 x 9 3ways have low, mid and high range (well sorta) where the 6.5" speakers u have contain a lot of mid range music and it seems the sound is 'lost' inside the car.
As Kev suggested, its better to get a set of splits that includes a mid range speaker and a seperate tweeter but even then u would probably would want to slightly fade the music to the front becuz that brings accurate sound staging.
Hope that helps. :)