where should i put my amp?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

efteoh
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

where should i put my amp?

Post by efteoh »

i was thinking of putting my amp behind the rear seats in the boot, but then i thought about having the line level signals traveling all the way down to the back and then back up to the front speakers again. this would introduce noise etc.

i was also thinking about putting it ubder the passenger seats, but i was worried about the vibrations from the floor getting to the amp. am i just worring about nothing? can someone shed light on this for me?
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Hmm. This below is a very similar thread.... don't know if you noticed it or not.... have a look at it for some ideas! :wink:

:arrow: http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=2836

:wink:
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

thanks boris :)

i've been following that thread for a while now, but it dosent seem to give detail about hte effects of the location hence length of cable. for example, having the power cable next to the RCAs etc.

also if i put the amp in the boot, it means i'll need a length of RCAinto the boot and another length of cable for the speaker level outputs, im just worried about noise etc. as the whole reason im putting in the amps was for sound quality.

thanks
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

There isn't a whole lot of room under the seats and depending on the amp/s and the levels you plan to run the system at heat and ventilation could become an issue.

I wouldn't worry too much about noise, nearly every person I know with amps including myself have no problems with noise and my amp is as far back as possible. Just watch your install techniques if doing yourself and if a shop is doing it then noise is not an option for them.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

running cables to the boot is pretty easy, and speaker cables arnt expensive too...
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

I ran my rca + speaker cabeles throught the centre, and all the rest on the right side. Works great, no noise.

I was gonna run my rca+speaker cable down left side, but it ended up being too short.... you will need rca longer than 3m :wink:
http://ftogpxfs.blogspot.com/
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

Josh, yr gonna get noise no matter how long yr cable is. The minimise noise use good cables.
I placed my first amp under the seat and had no problems, but that was a 2 channel amp and not the big 5 channel amp i have now.
Just make sure the amp fits under the seat.
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

i was thinking of putting them under the seat , but i was worried about the vibrations and dust etc, i've got all the equipments and measurements i need to put it either in the boot (behind the rear seats) or under the front seats, just cant decide.

they are two 2x75WRMS amps. and they do fit under the seats, i guess im just worried about SQ, ventilation, dust.

thanks guys
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

ventilation and everything is fine under the front seat.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

That would all depend on the amps in question I know mine would like it under the seats, it gets hot enough as it is.
DIGGIDY
Apprentice

Post by DIGGIDY »

Putting your amp under the seat is not the most clever idea... yes it will work fine, but your amp will be susceptible to heat problems, you will find after long periods of load music the amp will cut out into safe mode(most amps have heat protection built in), but if this happens on a regular basis, chances are your amp will have premature component failure..

the best place for you amp/s is in the boot, where you have space for heat to disperse much more effectively... and all for the sake of a few extra £££(sorry i mean $$$), for some extra length leads and a few extra hours work..
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

IMHO I think mounting in the boot would be easier in the end.
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

well mounting in the bootis actually easier. i was just worried about the the pick up of extra noise due the the extra length of cable. im not even converned about the cost. i've bought the equipment for both setups (cables etc) im just tring to find the cleanest setup.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Just make sure you have a good earth and be smart when it comes to what cable goes near what. Once you are back to the seats you are past most of the bad stuff anyway.